How to Upgrade to Business Class - Oceania "free air"

FreedomSeeker

Hello all,

I paid air deviation fees to get flights that are on airlines that I have points and/or miles available for upgrade, but the cruiseline issued tickets are in fare classes that don't qualify for upgrades. This is on Delta outbound LAX to Barcelona and USAirways inbound Rio de Janeiro to LAX.

Oceania is not offering "upgrades" to business class although on the exact same itinerary, their sister Regent is offering $699 to upgrade the outbound and $999 the inbound.... which seems like a good deal if only it could be repeated by Oceania. But apparently it can't, even though both are owned by PCH....

The cheapest business class air fares I can find are just over $5,000 each person, and are using KLM outbound, and Copa inbound, and I've heard Copa is horrendous. This is on the regular sites...I don't know where to begin with consolidator sites...

Also, I can't find a way to do open jaw economy tickets that I could then upgrade using points myself that would be in any way close to the cost of "free air" (assuming $550 credit on the cruise price per person for not taking the "free air"....). In fact they seem to be closer to the business class price of $5,000.....

I am unwilling to pay another 50% on top of the cruise price just to travel business class.....even if I was able to.....

Any suggestions on how to square this circle would be much appreciated. I can't bear the idea of economy for hours on end.....I'm too old and too tall for that.

Thanks

Hello all,

I am unwilling to pay another 50% on top of the cruise price just to travel business class.....even if I was able to.....

Any suggestions on how to square this circle would be much appreciated. I can't bear the idea of economy for hours on end.....I'm too old and too tall for that.

Thanks

Unfortunately you've discovered that air purchased through the cruiseline is *not* the same product as you buy directly from the airline, once you go more than skin-deep. The low fares come with many restrictions as explained in the sticky post at the top of this forum, as well as numerous posts accessible through search. Too bad you hadn't come across either before you purchased so you could make a better-informed purchase decision and discovered your mis-assumptions before purchase. The best bet is to talk to the cruiseline (if you already haven't done so) and ask what buy-up options you have. I'm sure they have a price:) . You are their customer, not Delta's so you need to talk to them. Sorry there isn't better news.

Unfortunately you've discovered that air purchased through the cruiseline is *not* the same product as you buy directly from the airline, once you go more than skin-deep. The low fares come with many restrictions as explained in the sticky post at the top of this forum, as well as numerous posts accessible through search. Too bad you hadn't come across either before you purchased so you could make a better-informed purchase decision and discovered your mis-assumptions before purchase. The best bet is to talk to the cruiseline (if you already haven't done so) and ask what buy-up options you have. I'm sure they have a price:) . You are their customer, not Delta's so you need to talk to them. Sorry there isn't better news.

Well, you're right that if I'd had the information beforehand, I might have done something different. But since I had no idea that there was even an issue, it didn't occur to me to research something I didn't even know about......until now, when I am already stuck.

The cruiseline has no buy up options. They don't really seem to care too much.

This shouldn't be this hard.:mad:

The have an "inventory" of discounted tickets that they want to sell and there is no incentive to upsell when they don't get the additional money. They are not acting as your agent but as a merchant with a limited inventory. If you want something not in their inventory, they might get it for you but you will pay their cost plus additional fees. Good luck but you might be flying coach if you have already committed.

FWIW, Copa is very good in their business section, it is just not business that you find on other international airlines; more like domestic first. I was very happy with the Copa product flying to SA.

You bought one. Unfortunately these types of tickets while cheap are so restrictive that there is little you can do to change anything about them including rebooking if you miss a flight for any reason. They are basically valid for one flight on one day and not endorsable to another carrier. Any changes that might have to be made regardless of who's fault it may be will most likely incur charges of some sort. If you are on a once a day flight you wait at least one more day to fly. A once every 3 day or week flight and you are in big trouble. You are also the very last priority for the airline to deal with based on your fare class. The airline will not help you out with your current problem as it isn't their problem. If the cruise line doesn't wish to work with you and offer options at an additional cost you will be flying coach unless you write the cost of these tickets off and buy new ones.

Having had one very bad experience with "cruise air" in the past I vowed never again. Although it may cost a bit more I now book directly with the airline and have a ticket worth something if there is an issue. I wish the news was better but it isn't

As you have already bought your tickets, I fear that you are stuck with them with no chance of an advance upgrade.

However Delta MAY (or may not) offer you an upgrade at the time of your check in at LAX for either money or miles.

I wouldn't count on that happening from such a cheap fare base.

The alternative is abandoning your existing tickets and starting over.

I learned long ago not to buy cruise air tickets via the cruise lines after one of the most miserable flights I've even had on United out of LAX to Japan in the absolute middle of an ecomony row of at least 5 seats. I am a small person, but the rows were so close together that I couldn't reach down into my carryon bag without bothering my neighbors.

Hello all,

I paid air deviation fees to get flights that are on airlines that I have points and/or miles available for upgrade, but the cruiseline issued tickets are in fare classes that don't qualify for upgrades. This is on Delta outbound LAX to Barcelona and USAirways inbound Rio de Janeiro to LAX.

Oceania is not offering "upgrades" to business class although on the exact same itinerary, their sister Regent is offering $699 to upgrade the outbound and $999 the inbound.... which seems like a good deal if only it could be repeated by Oceania. But apparently it can't, even though both are owned by PCH....

The cheapest business class air fares I can find are just over $5,000 each person, and are using KLM outbound, and Copa inbound, and I've heard Copa is horrendous. This is on the regular sites...I don't know where to begin with consolidator sites...

Also, I can't find a way to do open jaw economy tickets that I could then upgrade using points myself that would be in any way close to the cost of "free air" (assuming $550 credit on the cruise price per person for not taking the "free air"....). In fact they seem to be closer to the business class price of $5,000.....

Thanks

Just a couple of ideas and some information:

1. How much more is the Regent cruise with the same itinerary where you COULD get the air upgrade? MAY NOT be as much as you think when you factor in things like booze, gratuities, etc that MAY be included in the Regent cruise and are possibly not included with Oceania.

2. I am not a Delta flier but I believe that you have to purchase a fairly high economy fare class initially to be able to upgrade ANY Delta economy flight no matter where you purchased the ticket. You need to check out the fare classes that are eligible for upgrade or you are just spinning your wheels.

3. Since you post no dates, it is hard to offer any concrete suggestions. But I can see flights on AA from LAX via JFK to BCN and return from GIG via MIA to LAX for about $2500pp in the fall (October/November time frame). AND if you search for posts by Gardyloo, there are instructions about BUYING AA miles and using them to upgrade. OF course, the upgrades have to be available on the flights you pick and AA charges a co-pay to upgrade. BUT should be cheaper than paying for business class and you can upgrade an AA ticket from ANY fare class.

If you are thinking about going this route, sign up for Expert Flyer ($5.00 per month) and use it to help you find those elusive upgrade seats.

Getting one of the AA World Mastercards and/or a Starwood AMEX MAY give you almost enough bonus miles to upgrade at least one ticket just for signing up. Look for all the deals on signing bonuses.

4. I haven't run the miles but I am making a guess that your flights are NOT a TRUE open jaw, hence the higher prices. To be a TRUE open jaw, the UN-FLOWN leg (across the ocean) MUST be shorter than the other two legs. IF it is not a TRUE open jaw, you are essentially paying for two one way tickets. Run the miles on Great Circle Mapper and find out what you are up against.

Just a couple of ideas and some information:

1. How much more is the Regent cruise with the same itinerary where you COULD get the air upgrade? MAY NOT be as much as you think when you factor in things like booze, gratuities, etc that MAY be included in the Regent cruise and are possibly not included with Oceania.

2. I am not a Delta flier but I believe that you have to purchase a fairly high economy fare class initially to be able to upgrade ANY Delta economy flight no matter where you purchased the ticket. You need to check out the fare classes that are eligible for upgrade or you are just spinning your wheels.

3. Since you post no dates, it is hard to offer any concrete suggestions. But I can see flights on AA from LAX via JFK to BCN and return from GIG via MIA to LAX for about $2500pp in the fall (October/November time frame). AND if you search for posts by Gardyloo, there are instructions about BUYING AA miles and using them to upgrade. OF course, the upgrades have to be available on the flights you pick and AA charges a co-pay to upgrade. BUT should be cheaper than paying for business class and you can upgrade an AA ticket from ANY fare class.

If you are thinking about going this route, sign up for Expert Flyer ($5.00 per month) and use it to help you find those elusive upgrade seats.

Getting one of the AA World Mastercards and/or a Starwood AMEX MAY give you almost enough bonus miles to upgrade at least one ticket just for signing up. Look for all the deals on signing bonuses.

4. I haven't run the miles but I am making a guess that your flights are NOT a TRUE open jaw, hence the higher prices. To be a TRUE open jaw, the UN-FLOWN leg (across the ocean) MUST be shorter than the other two legs. IF it is not a TRUE open jaw, you are essentially paying for two one way tickets. Run the miles on Great Circle Mapper and find out what you are up against.

That's a lot of detail and help. I very much appreciate it. I didn't even know that "open jaw" meant something specific......learn something everyday. I'm going to take a look at Great Circle Mapper, and I will look into Gardyloo and the AA miles thing. USAirways also allows you to buy-up to Chairman's Circle Preferred Dividend Miles....so I'll take a look there too.

I'm also revisiting asking Oceania, by asking some more specific routing questions to see whether they might just be able to quote business class at something less than retail.

Thanks again. This is truly a learning experience. Not a pleasant one, but still, I'll know better next time!

You have a good attitude about all this! Thanks for that.

We all have learned by making mistakes with travel decisions. Before Cruise Critic we had to stumble along on our own.

Now some of us try to share the good ideas.

You have a good attitude about all this! Thanks for that.

We all have learned by making mistakes with travel decisions. Before Cruise Critic we had to stumble along on our own.

Now some of us try to share the good ideas.

Thanks Penny! I try:)

So, the good news is that I was able to sort this out following some of the suggestions on these boards.

First the bad news: Oceania wanted more to upgrade the flights than I could do on my own with a little tweaking of dates and times.

Secondly, the "what I could find on my own" was more than I was willing to pay, unless I flew on airlines that I have never heard of.

Now the good news: my TA was incredibly helpful, and found a few options, which while they didn't pan out, were helpful in making me decide what to actually do.

Finally, what did I do? I begged, cajoled, pleaded with friends, colleagues etc for Skymiles, I paid the transfer fees from one account to another (a lot less expensive than buying miles or paying for the tickets), and when other options ran out, I bought miles directly from Delta.

I used pointers from ThePointsGuy.com on how to find the best award seats at the lowest cost, was flexible on dates and times, and just kept looking and looking until I found round trip (open jaw) first/business flights, and then booked them using the miles I had accumulated.

For the cost of transferring and/or buying the miles, I could have bought only ONE of the tickets using my own money....and with the credit on cruise air and not using Oceania's hotels, the upgrade for two has cost only $1,500 more than going economy using Oceania.

That's a savings against the next best option of about $5,500.

I still need hotels, and for that I am using points that I got by opening a new credit card and getting 50,000 bonus points just for doing so....and asking my partner to do the same. Between us, 100,000 points, plus the 35,000 we already had will get us 5* hotels for a week before the cruise and 2 days after - for free.

Bottom line: take the time, put in the effort, and the results will come. And if they don't, it just means to keep looking. The universe has something better in store if you're willing to try.

Thanks to all for their suggestions and pointers.

Mike, so Oceania gave you credit for the original flights?

Glad for the update and that it worked out so well for you.

Most people would not be willing or able to do what you have done. It shows that you have a great deal of 'try' in you.

I hope that you will come back to this topic and help others as time goes by.

Bon Voyage!

Mike, so Oceania gave you credit for the original flights?

Glad for the update and that it worked out so well for you.

Most people would not be willing or able to do what you have done. It shows that you have a great deal of 'try' in you.

I hope that you will come back to this topic and help others as time goes by.

Bon Voyage!

Penny - yes, since we decided not to use Oceania air, and I guess because its not been ticketed yet (we're not even at final payment date), I just asked my TA to update my booking to reflect the "no air"....and voila, in less than 12 hours, I got a revised invoice.

What did NOT get credited back was the $150 per person air deviation fee that I had originally paid, as that is explicitly "non-refundable" in the fine print.

In terms of sharing information and ideas - if it wasn't for the folks on these boards, I would know virtually nothing about cruises, cruise air (open jaw??? what does THAT mean - now I know.....) etc. What has been freely given to me is not mine to keep. I have to share it. Anything else would be ungrateful and selfish, no?:D

Wow! You got lucky about not having to give up all that money for the cruise air tickets!

You must be living right, as my late Mum used to say.

Travel can be a mysterious and complicated world. It helps when we share.

Secondly, the "what I could find on my own" was more than I was willing to pay, unless I flew on airlines that I have never heard of.

Now the good news: my TA was incredibly helpful, and found a few options, which while they didn't pan out, were helpful in making me decide what to actually do.

Finally, what did I do? I begged, cajoled, pleaded with friends, colleagues etc for Skymiles, I paid the transfer fees from one account to another (a lot less expensive than buying miles or paying for the tickets), and when other options ran out, I bought miles directly from Delta.

For the cost of transferring and/or buying the miles, I could have bought only ONE of the tickets using my own money....and with the credit on cruise air and not using Oceania's hotels, the upgrade for two has cost only $1,500 more than going economy using Oceania.

You did very well. Congrats

Just curious what airlines you found that met this definition-"unless I flew on airlines that I have never heard of."

Sometimes it is well worth it to fly those "never heard of" airlines. I am particularly enamored of two of the Middle Eastern airlines-Qatar and Etihad. Service and comfort FAR above anything you will get on a US airline. First class is TRULY a special experience. And sometimes the price is REALLY REALLY right via miles or money.

Even Kuwait airlines, while no comparison to Qatar or Etihad and below quality levels of BA, Cathay, Singapore and LAN, very often offers first class from JFK to London for $1000 each way. NO BOOZE on Kuwait airlines but if you want to lay down and sleep, not a bad price compared to $5000-6000 prices on other airlines.

Kuwait has what are called "fifth freedom rights" which allow them to sell tickets only ticketed from the USA to London while the flight continues on to Kuwait. There are other "fifth freedom flights" which are SUPER bargains if you can find them. Etihad sells "fifth freedom flights" from the USA to Germany, continuing on to Abu Dhabi. And Qatar has some "fifth freedom flights" to parts of Asia continuing to Doha which are super spectacular bargains.

Next time you fly, take a look at the airlines you never heard of. Believe me, there are a lot of airlines that offer a better experience and very often a cheaper price than the US airlines.

It pays to be attentive to the possibility of using transferred or purchased miles on occasion.

Through the end of this month, for example, US Airways is offering one of its occasional (couple of times a year it seems, maybe 3 or 4) 100% bonus offers on purchased miles. Usually US charges 3.5c per mile for purchases, which is more than other airlines charge (many are closer to 2.5c or 2.75c) but with a 100% bonus you can purchase 50,000 miles for $1750 and get 50,000 added for free (it's around $1820 after taxes and a $30 service charge). That's under 2c per mile, and you can turn right around and book a round-trip from the US to Europe in business class for those 100,000 miles. Sign up with Expert Flyer and you can use their search function for mileage seats on any Star Alliance member, so you're not stuck with US Airways - fly with United, Lufthansa, Singapore, Swiss, Austrian, SAS, Lot, TAP, Turkish... there are a lot of seats over the pond every day, so it's often quite a lot easier to find redemption seats on Star carriers than on Oneworld (AA, BA, Iberia, Finnair...) or Skyteam (KLM, Air France, Alitalia...)

Eighteen hundred bucks for a round trip in business class to Europe (and first class on any US domestic connections) is a pretty good deal.

You did very well. Congrats

Just curious what airlines you found that met this definition-"unless I flew on airlines that I have never heard of."

Sometimes it is well worth it to fly those "never heard of" airlines. I am particularly enamored of two of the Middle Eastern airlines-Qatar and Etihad. Service and comfort FAR above anything you will get on a US airline. First class is TRULY a special experience. And sometimes the price is REALLY REALLY right via miles or money.

Even Kuwait airlines, while no comparison to Qatar or Etihad and below quality levels of BA, Cathay, Singapore and LAN, very often offers first class from JFK to London for $1000 each way. NO BOOZE on Kuwait airlines but if you want to lay down and sleep, not a bad price compared to $5000-6000 prices on other airlines.

Kuwait has what are called "fifth freedom rights" which allow them to sell tickets only ticketed from the USA to London while the flight continues on to Kuwait. There are other "fifth freedom flights" which are SUPER bargains if you can find them. Etihad sells "fifth freedom flights" from the USA to Germany, continuing on to Abu Dhabi. And Qatar has some "fifth freedom flights" to parts of Asia continuing to Doha which are super spectacular bargains.

Next time you fly, take a look at the airlines you never heard of. Believe me, there are a lot of airlines that offer a better experience and very often a cheaper price than the US airlines.

All of this is wonderful information - thanks!

The airlines I had never heard of - COPA and SATA....

Then there was the offer on Aeroflot, which I think I remember from the 1980s as being horrendous, but apparently now is very good indeed in the air, but the airport in Moscow is still "soviet"?

It pays to be attentive to the possibility of using transferred or purchased miles on occasion.

Through the end of this month, for example, US Airways is offering one of its occasional (couple of times a year it seems, maybe 3 or 4) 100% bonus offers on purchased miles. Usually US charges 3.5c per mile for purchases, which is more than other airlines charge (many are closer to 2.5c or 2.75c) but with a 100% bonus you can purchase 50,000 miles for $1750 and get 50,000 added for free (it's around $1820 after taxes and a $30 service charge). That's under 2c per mile, and you can turn right around and book a round-trip from the US to Europe in business class for those 100,000 miles. Sign up with Expert Flyer and you can use their search function for mileage seats on any Star Alliance member, so you're not stuck with US Airways - fly with United, Lufthansa, Singapore, Swiss, Austrian, SAS, Lot, TAP, Turkish... there are a lot of seats over the pond every day, so it's often quite a lot easier to find redemption seats on Star carriers than on Oneworld (AA, BA, Iberia, Finnair...) or Skyteam (KLM, Air France, Alitalia...)

Eighteen hundred bucks for a round trip in business class to Europe (and first class on any US domestic connections) is a pretty good deal.

Gardyloo: what a terrific mine of information you are!

And what a great offer! I just applied for a US Airways Dividend miles card to get the 40k bonus miles offer. If I charge the buy up of 50k would that count as "the qualifying purchase" to get the 40k bonus? So I'd really end up getting 140k miles for the price of 50k (50k buy, 50k double bonus, 40k signing bonus). Can that be right?

..If I charge the buy up of 50k would that count as "the qualifying purchase" to get the 40k bonus? So I'd really end up getting 140k miles for the price of 50k (50k buy, 50k double bonus, 40k signing bonus). Can that be right?
If it is you are. Probably you should read the T&Cs on the credit card or even phone the bank, but I'd be surprised if it wouldn't qualify. Don't forget you'd get also miles for the purchase, too, so you'd actually end up with 141,800 or so. Welcome to the frequent flyer insane asylum.

If it is you are. Probably you should read the T&Cs on the credit card or even phone the bank, but I'd be surprised if it wouldn't qualify. Don't forget you'd get also miles for the purchase, too, so you'd actually end up with 141,800 or so. Welcome to the frequent flyer insane asylum.

I think these US Miles are going to get more valuable fairly soon with the AA goings on.

The frequent flyer insane asylum has taught me a great deal over the years and saved me a ton of dollars, pounds and Euros!

I read the T&Cs and as far as I can see, this will work. The only stipulation is that you can't buy up miles on an account that is less than 12 days old. So I have to wait....remind self - set reminder on calendar to buy up USAirways Dividend miles before May 31!

Archived