Volcano Hike

ColoradoGurl

Does anyone have any experience doing the Mt. Liamuiga volcano hike? Specifically I'm wondering if anyone who is an avid hiker in real mountains has ever done this and if so, what did you think of it? Also, do you think it's possible to do in under 6 hours? I have read a lot of reviews but most of them appear to be from people who haven't really hiked big mountains before, so the altitude got to them, and they also hadn't experienced having to hike or climb over rocks and branches. I'm wondering if the reason so many people rate this as being hard is because they are inexperienced in this kind of hiking, or if it truly is difficult, even for people who hike 14ers (for instance).

I live in Colorado and hike 8,000-14,000ft mountains on a weekly basis and am experienced in hiking over rocks, branches and bolders, but have never done so in a rainforest. I also run about 30 or 40 miles a week at an 8 1/2 minute mile pace, if that helps to give reference of my activity level. I would like to do this and then be able to meet up with the rest of my group at the beach but all the tours say it takes 6 hours. I can hire a guide to take me alone and am wondering if I do that, is it possible to do more quickly. Basically, is the reason this tour takes 6 hours because the people doing the hike are not used to hiking in altitude or rocky environments and therefore taking a lot of rest breaks that I could avoid if hiking on my own?

It can be done in much less time than 6 hrs. I am guessing that you could do it in about 1-1.25 hrs up and less going down and probably less that that. I did it 20 years ago and we did it in about 4 hrs or less round trip. The are several issues on the hike: trail is not marked, weather issues-rain in the mountains but not at sea level, heavy canopy in areas so a sense of direction is lost. I am guessing the reason that they give a 6 hr time is because of the reasons you gave(inexperienced hikers,rest stops, large groups that slow the progress of the hike. I found that the altitude was not a factor for me.

It can be done in much less time than 6 hrs. I am guessing that you could do it in about 1-1.25 hrs up and less going down and probably less that that. I did it 20 years ago and we did it in about 4 hrs or less round trip. The are several issues on the hike: trail is not marked, weather issues-rain in the mountains but not at sea level, heavy canopy in areas so a sense of direction is lost. I am guessing the reason that they give a 6 hr time is because of the reasons you gave(inexperienced hikers,rest stops, large groups that slow the progress of the hike. I found that the altitude was not a factor for me.

Thank you!!!

Have not been on this hike myself, but a number of co-cruisers name a major cause of delay as being with other hikers who are simply not up to it.

From your activity level sounds like you will have no problem.

Oh good idea! I hadn't thought about that.

• 2 weeks later...

We did it with David through poinciana tours. He was great and i think we did it with a group that was all pretty much in shape in 5 hours. Then we had David bring us to Lions Beach Bar. He provided the transportation, fresh breads, and fresh guava juice at the top. He was super professional and pleasant .