Vancouver: Grandview Hwy vs 7A/Hastings?

JDinWA

The driving instructions on the website for Canada Place parking (Vinci Park Services) say to take Grandview Hwy from Hwy 1 (Trans Canada Hwy).

Looking at the map, taking 7A/E Hastings St from Hwy 1 seems a more direct route.

Can anyone familiar with Vancouver tell me if it really is better to take Grandview?

Never, ever drive along Hastings as the speed limit is very low (20-30km/h in places), with cameras and frequent police enforcement, due to the number of pedestrian-vehicle collisions (heart of the Downtown Eastside means many people who are not very compus mentis randomly wandering across the road...)

But from anywhere near Seattle there's simply no sensible reason to be on hwy 1 in the first place. You should be on the 99/91 to Knight Street, then Venables/Prior/Dunsmuir (and is also known as the 99BC).

Use Google or your GPS - they'll both route you appropriately, although if your maps are 3 years old or more Hastings will possibly crop up as the reduced speed limits are relatively new.

Edited by martincath
spelling

Thanks for the explanation about Hastings! Grandview it is, then.

I've done the 99 route previously and it was a really unpleasant drive, so this time we decided to try 15 to 1.

Another vote for Hwy 91/99. I hate paying that toll on the Hwy 1 Port Mann. The only time Hwy 91/99 is painful is during rush hour.

Yes Grandview has fewer lights and is the more efficient route. Hastings is preferred if you want to see the "character" part of the city.

When did the Port Mann get a toll?

You, you fence jumper you.....there is a new bridge which is a P3 project that opened about 3 years ago and there is a toll. The Port Mann bridge that you and I remember as new is all but demolished.:mad:

The only reason I can see anyone on HWY 1 and then Hastings or Grandview is because traffic at the Aldergrove/Lynden crossing is often lighter than at the Blaine Crossings. But, yes, I would use I5 to either the Peace Arch or the Truck Crossing then BC99, over the Oak St. bridge and down Granville St.

The driving instructions on the website for Canada Place parking (Vinci Park Services) say to take Grandview Hwy from Hwy 1 (Trans Canada Hwy).

Looking at the map, taking 7A/E Hastings St from Hwy 1 seems a more direct route.

Can anyone familiar with Vancouver tell me if it really is better to take Grandview?

Actually I'd take neither, take 1st Ave (between Grandview and Hastings); which turns into Terminal, right on Main left onto Cordova...

However, if you're coming up from Seattle, it's faster to stay on Hwy 99 / I5 and come up that way. Hwy 99 , over the oak bridge, right on Marie, left on Cambie and Cambie into downtown.

Thanks for the explanation about Hastings! Grandview it is, then.

I've done the 99 route previously and it was a really unpleasant drive, so this time we decided to try 15 to 1.

If you're happy to pay the toll this might not actually be too bad - but so many people don't like paying the toll that the only other remotely sensible route over the river, the Patullo bridge in New West, is massively overused now (huge amounts of time & money being spent in the next few years to upgrade it structurally).

Not sure what was bad about the 99 for you that wouldn't also be as bad or worse on the 1... the tunnel maybe? If so, it's theoretically almost identical time & distance to take the 91 which uses a bridge and also brings you in to where you can take any of the Knight/Main/Cambie/Oak/Granville northbound streets into the city.

As you can see from the other posts above, every local driver has their own opinion as to which is the optimal road from the border, and we're all right;-)

If you're happy to pay the toll this might not actually be too bad - but so many people don't like paying the toll that the only other remotely sensible route over the river, the Patullo bridge in New West, is massively overused now (huge amounts of time & money being spent in the next few years to upgrade it structurally).

Not sure what was bad about the 99 for you that wouldn't also be as bad or worse on the 1... the tunnel maybe? If so, it's theoretically almost identical time & distance to take the 91 which uses a bridge and also brings you in to where you can take any of the Knight/Main/Cambie/Oak/Granville northbound streets into the city.

As you can see from the other posts above, every local driver has their own opinion as to which is the optimal road from the border, and we're all right;-)

:) Of course, just like when Seattle drivers compare routes!

I've forgotten the details of our last trip -- the key takeaway was "that really sucked, if we ever come back, let's look for an alternate route". I do remember that it was a mess trying to stay on "99" in the whole Marine/Oak/70th/Granville loop, and I remember that we got really frustrated on Granville and Seymour.

We may dislike the 1 route as much as (or more than) 99 but it's worth a try.

Edited by JDinWA

While the toll is something like $4 for locals..... Car rental can be $15 or more for administration fees. Thus I prefer Hwy 99/91 option from the border to downtown.

I do remember that it was a mess trying to stay on "99" in the whole Marine/Oak/70th/Granville loop, and I remember that we got really frustrated on Granville and Seymour.
And for most locals.... they will skip the ceremonial loops and stay on Oak/Cambie for the trip downtown.

I agree the Marpole/South Granville segment is painful with all those lights, parking, and left turning vehicles. It's not a freeway, but it's the designated truck route to keep heavy vehicles away from secondary arterials and residential roads.

For those who have not been to Vancouver in recent years.... the downtown bike lanes will challenge your patience.

Hastings is not much of an improvement.

Edited by xlxo

While the toll is something like $4 for locals..... Car rental can be $15 or more for administration fees.

Several years ago we used the Golden Ears Bridge by mistake in a rental car. I called Translink the next business day and paid with credit card, no problem.

For those who have not been to Vancouver in recent years.... the downtown bike lanes will challenge your patience.

I thought the bike lanes were great...a city trying to wean away from cars. (But I'm an avid bicyclist)

You, you fence jumper you.....there is a new bridge which is a P3 project that opened about 3 years ago and there is a toll. The Port Mann bridge that you and I remember as new is all but demolished.:mad:

:D I laughed out loud and my DH thought I was nuts. Says it must be a Canadian thing. I didn't think the bridge was that old but I guess we both are :rolleyes:.

Edited by notentirelynormal

The only reason I can see anyone on HWY 1 and then Hastings or Grandview is because traffic at the Aldergrove/Lynden crossing is often lighter than at the Blaine Crossings. But, yes, I would use I5 to either the Peace Arch or the Truck Crossing then BC99, over the Oak St. bridge and down Granville St.

I agree. Unless you live in North Van (Lynn Valley) heehee.

Those bike riders, well some of them are lucky to still be alive. I mean seriously, you are turning into a driveway, part way through and they veer in front of you. Dude (and I don't mean YOU Putterdude) do you not see my SUV half way through? Then when you are trying to miss them someone walks in front of you from the opposite way. Those "green" lanes are challenging when parking in a lot downtown.

Edited by notentirelynormal

:D I laughed out loud and my DH thought I was nuts. Says it must be a Canadian thing. I didn't think the bridge was that old but I guess we both are :rolleyes:.

Well was no old as trees and bridges go. I can remember driving over for the first time in about July or August 1964 ..... 50 years ago in my '53 Austin A-40 with a bunch of guys likely full of beer after visiting a chum who an moved out to rainy Haney with his family. It was brand new then and they 401 was not finished all the way into the city yet....it was quite a thrill. But back to the bridge...it had been expanded once and tinkered with a number times but the population on the east side of the Fraser just outgrew it.

Well was no old as trees and bridges go. I can remember driving over for the first time in about July or August 1964 ..... 50 years ago in my '53 Austin A-40 with a bunch of guys likely full of beer after visiting a chum who an moved out to rainy Haney with his family. It was brand new then and they 401 was not finished all the way into the city yet....it was quite a thrill. But back to the bridge...it had been expanded once and tinkered with a number times but the population on the east side of the Fraser just outgrew it.

Wow! Okay. So you are older than me :D. I moved to the US in the mid 1970s and the bridge was new to me. I guess I always take the 99 and go through downtown but back when I lived there (in the late 1980s) headed out through the back... well, let's face it Vancouver is NOT user friendly friendly.

:) Of course, just like when Seattle drivers compare routes!

I've forgotten the details of our last trip -- the key takeaway was "that really sucked, if we ever come back, let's look for an alternate route". I do remember that it was a mess trying to stay on "99" in the whole Marine/Oak/70th/Granville loop, and I remember that we got really frustrated on Granville and Seymour.

We may dislike the 1 route as much as (or more than) 99 but it's worth a try.

Hence my suggestion of Cambie:

However, if you're coming up from Seattle, it's faster to stay on Hwy 99 / I5 and come up that way. Hwy 99 ,
over the oak bridge, right on Marine, left on Cambie and Cambie into downtown.

I really wouldn't recommend coming over Hwy 1 into town, because it leaves you almost as much annoying surface road from the highway to downtown as the Hwy 99 route does; but adds to it the annoyance of a toll bridge, and extra distance.

I appreciate you all taking the time to answer. I really wanted to avoid 99 altogether, but I'd have to be a fool to disregard expert advice from people more familiar with the area than me. :) So 91/99 and Oak or Cambie it is!

• 2 months later...
I appreciate you all taking the time to answer. I really wanted to avoid 99 altogether, but I'd have to be a fool to disregard expert advice from people more familiar with the area than me. :) So 91/99 and Oak or Cambie it is!

We're back. The Cambie route was excellent -- thanks for the advice!