Packing for an infant

leelou48

I do not have children, but I have 14 nieces and nephews and have watched them periodically when their parents are out of town.

I would make sure you have whatever you would have at your house -- baby Tylenol, baby Benadryl -- anything like that because the cruise line will probably not have it.

I would be sure to have plenty of diapers because you will definitely not be able to get those on ship. I know a lot of people will stop at a Wal-Mart, Target, et cetera and just buy that stuff right before they board -- especially if they're flying. If you're driving, it's not as big a deal to buy it before you leave.

I have seen people recommend an umbrella-type stroller for ease of moving about the ship.

If you're not nursing (or even if you are) you'll need to make sure you have ample formula -- more than you think you'll need.

I would look at the amenities of the ship you're sailing on because I know some will allow you to check out toys for your cabin. So if your cruise line offers that, I wouldn't bring a lot of toys -- I would be sure and bring baby's favorite blanket, toy, et cetera.

I'm sure others will chime in. Those are just the things that I know I want when I was babysitting the nieces and nephews when they were babies.

Edited by pkay414

All the basics for first aid and over-the-counter meds - hard to be specific without knowing the age, but for fever, allergy, etc. The doctors on board are well-equipped, but you don't want to pay for an office visit for basic meds. Thermometer, lots of sunscreen, extra bottles in case of loss or damage. Wipes - not just anti-bacterial, but the ones that fight flu virus as well.

Have a great trip!

Best,

Mia

As someone who has done 2 cruise with a little one (1st at 18months 2nd at 3 years)

Here is my list

I'm guessing you are doing the Caribbean - so you might be able to get some things in port at some of the shops

1) diapers - I would take for however many days you are going + 3 days - just incase of flight delays or anything else

2) wipes / creams

3) Diaper Bags (disposable) - I recommend the arm & hammer ones

4) Meds - ANY AND ALL that you normally have at home - the ship will NOT have any that are the right dosage. I also suggest checking with your Ped. right before leaving in regards to dosage amounts based on age / weight

5) Fabric Shower Curtain with Magnetic Hooks - great for putting around the pack n play / crib

For first aid, I'd just add gas drops to the list. My little ones tended to end up constipated at some point during the cruise, so a treatment or remedy for that is also good. We made due with chamomile tea and apple juice that were available on the ship, but that was a problem I hadn't planned ahead for!

For the baby (first cruise at 6 months) we brought a breathable crib bumper thing to put around the crib provided by the ship. Otherwise, the baby's arms would hang out of the crib slats while he slept. Made due by weaving towels around the inside of the crib, but found it easier to pack the mesh bumper.

Peace of mind is the key. On our Hawaii cruise there was a young family scrambling to find a place in port to buy pull-up pampers for their not as potty trained as they thought little girl. They'd managed 5 sea days without and were desperate. At least it was easy enough to grab a taxi and head to the store once we reached Hawaii.

We've never needed any of our baby meds, but it was good to have, just in case.

Jennifer