Anthony's Key w RCCL

Natasha708

I've used them on two separate occasions, and found them very good both times. So good that I've booked them for my upcoming cruise. Normally I'm not a fan of the ship's excursions, but they're an exception in my book.

Harris

Denver, CO

I haven't used Anthonys Key but I have used Las Rocas Dive Resort on several occasions. They are a resort, and every time I've gone, it's just been my husband, me, and the dive master. They asked us our dive preferences and catered the day's locations to us. I would highly recommend them if you prefer a smaller diving group!

I've used them on two separate occasions, and found them very good both times. So good that I've booked them for my upcoming cruise. Normally I'm not a fan of the ship's excursions, but they're an exception in my book.

Harris

Denver, CO

I have been to the resort. Yet someone just wrote a review saying they were unhappy with them from their cruise. They said they were not taking cruise passengers to a good spot and they saw very little life. Not sure what to think..

You have never used them from a cruise.. not sure why they would treat cruise passengers any differently.

I haven't used Anthonys Key but I have used Las Rocas Dive Resort on several occasions. They are a resort, and every time I've gone, it's just been my husband, me, and the dive master. They asked us our dive preferences and catered the day's locations to us. I would highly recommend them if you prefer a smaller diving group!

Thank u for your response. I have also gone to Coco Key resort and Fantasy Island while diving from a cruise day.. but this time we were thinking of staying with the ship..

I have been to the resort. Yet someone just wrote a review saying they were unhappy with them from their cruise. They said they were not taking cruise passengers to a good spot and they saw very little life. Not sure what to think..

You have never used them from a cruise.. not sure why they would treat cruise passengers any differently.

I should have made it more clear, both times there were on cruise excursions.

They would have no incentive to take cruise groups to sub-standard sites. more likely it was just not the best day.

Harris

Denver, CO

I should have made it more clear, both times there were on cruise excursions.

They would have no incentive to take cruise groups to sub-standard sites. more likely it was just not the best day.

Harris

Denver, CO

OK Thx..good to hear. Also..I heard they make everyone do a few basic skills before diving with them..like remove their mask underwater..is that what you also experienced?

The only thing I remember is they encouraged divers to do a weight check right at the dock. I'd certainly rather have that than what you so often see; the DMs overweighting the divers just to make it easy to get the group down.

They did not require any skills demo, but may have done some work with someone if they were a novice diver and expressed a concern.

Harris

Denver, CO

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Roatan 3 or 4 years ago on a cruise and the cruise line used Anthony Key for their operator. as On operator it was not pretty. The dives started with not not going to the their resort for the dive but boarded a boat to dive on the bay side of the island, bad weather on the other side of the island, it was rainy and rough.

First thing to go wrong was a bad reg so we had to go to shore to get it fixed (no just in case spare reg, remember that.)

Second thing to go wrong we came up from the first dive to do out surface interval and one of the divers said that the depth gauge on the regs they proved did not work. A DiveMaster looked at it shrugged and walked away. I gave the lady the spare depth gauge I carry in my BC pocket, that solved that problem.

Third thing to go wrong was they did not have enough full tanks to go around. We had to wait 45 minutes to an hour for them to bring a boat around with a fill tank on it to fill the empty/under filled tanks.

When we got back I posted the review on the cruise lines web site and with in 24 hours they had pulled it.

The interesting thing about this excursion was that the activities director for the cruise ship and the owner of dive operator we were going to dive with Costa Maya were on the the dives.

Your mileage may vary and I have heard some good thing about the operator but I will be leery of them if I were to dive with them again.

Just back from our cruise, and have to say I feel Anthony's Key is no longer worth the premium one pays to book them. We were in a group of 13 divers with two DMs. The sites were good, and things were fine, but nothing about the trip this time justifies the extra. Next time in Roatan, I'll book independently.

Harris

Denver, CO

• 1 month later...

We'll be writing a review soon. Just off Dawn today and researching a bit about Anthony's key and going to chat with our local dive shop before we post. But, my husbands and my 16yo daughters experience was horrible. Relatively new divers. 13 divers to 2 dm's on this trip. Daughters air tested fine and showed 2000 psi within 5 min, then no air right after. She surfaced quickly from 30' to little concern from dm who blamed her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have dove twice with Anthony's Key (both times through NCL). The first was in Apr 2007 and again in Dec 2013. I don't remember much from the 07 dive, but I don't recall any issues and we had a good DM and crew. The second time we did the dolphin dive and it was incredible. I highly recommend that dive if it's an option. I do remember them having everyone get in the water at their facility to check weighting and they made us do some really quick safety drills (flood the mask, etc). None of it was a big deal. I'm sure a lot can change in a year or so, but we've never had anything but good experiences with them.

We'll be writing a review soon. Just off Dawn today and researching a bit about Anthony's key and going to chat with our local dive shop before we post. But, my husbands and my 16yo daughters experience was horrible. Relatively new divers. 13 divers to 2 dm's on this trip. Daughters air tested fine and showed 2000 psi within 5 min, then no air right after. She surfaced quickly from 30' to little concern from dm who blamed her.

What you are describing sounds like a tank valve that wasn't opened all the way, and while I would expect the DM to check it, I would expect the diver to as well. Did AKR check the equipment and find a source for the problem?

What you are describing sounds like a tank valve that wasn't opened all the way, and while I would expect the DM to check it, I would expect the diver to as well. Did AKR check the equipment and find a source for the problem?

That is what we are hoping it was. But, yes, my daughter did check and test the tank before the dive. Upon surfacing the dm looked at gauge which then read 2000 psi so he just told her she had air. She says she didn't and almost blacked out before surfacing. Yes, she did things wrong, like surfacing and not getting buddy air , but the dm response to tell her she had air and not believe her was wrong. She got a new tank for second dive and was fine.