Beach transport for solo traveler

kas37

my 1st solo cruise and on this stop I'd like to go to a beach, I'm leaning towards Smugglers Cove as I would prefer a more laid back and quite beach. My question.... I've read about the open air busses at the port... is there one for Smuglers Cove? Do they run continuously from the port to the beach or are their specific return times?

Thank you!!!

The safari taxis that take large groups drop off and pick up at CGB and some at Brewers Bay. These do not go to any other beaches so you would need to hire a taxi to Smuggler's and also be sure it returned for you.

You would pass by Long Bay (West End) on the ride to Smuggler's and that might be a better option. Only because drivers may hang there for a return, or worst case the restaurant or hotel could call one. Still pretty laid back and quiet because it isn't one of the main beach destinations for the taxis.

You can ask the nice ladies at the visitor center to direct you to a driver who will work with you. The taxi fares are based on 1, 2, or 3 ppl, so the fare to Smuggler's for one person is about $32, and for 3 ppl it is $14pp (a little less to LB). That's why the group taxis to CGB and Brewers are just $8pp.

Smuggler's is our favorite beach to visit when staying on Tortola and a ship is in port - beautiful beach and nice island views. Long Bay (WE) is a picture postcard beach with a restaurant and lounge rentals.

Forgot to mention the taxi fares above are each way so it can be expensive when you're not sharing a taxi with others. Another option is renting a Jeep and driving, the road to Long Bay (West End) is pretty flat with just one smaller hill (Zion Hill Road). From LB to Smuggler's the road is unpaved and a bit treacherous but still definitely driveable. But would recommend a taxi being on your own.

If the taxi fare isn't a problem I would ask the ladies at the visitor center for help with a driver, you shouldn't have a problem enjoying Smuggler's or Long Bay. Nigel may or may not be selling drinks and food at Smuggler's, and last I knew the portapotty had been removed. So Smuggler's is without amenities, but is also a very beautiful beach.

Many folks on a cruise stop ask for that gorgeous beach where they can get away from their fellow cruise ship passengers but they still want some amenities. Obviously that is the ideal beach for everyone and so it just doesn't exist. But Nigel is usually there selling drinks and renting snorkel gear, and the older lounges there are free. So if you decide to go to Smuggler's - or even Long Bay where there is a restaurant and restrooms and lounges are $5 - you will have a story to share at your fellow MDR table that night. :)

Edited by blue_water