Navigator - Athens to Rome Oct 14, 2006

lborne

Hi,

We will be on the Navigator from Athens to Rome sailing Oct 14, and I had a few questions. There are no recent reviews that I could find of this itenerary. I am looking for opinions and reviews of the shore excursions offered.

I'm a bit worried about the airline flights (# of connections) they may book us on, and the much talked about vibration.

Our only other experience with RSSC is on the PG. How does this compare? I expect more formal, but are there any big differences on board that we can expect.

I hope someone who has recently sailed this trip will post a review.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm sorry, I haven't taken that particular itinerary but I have been twice on the Navigator and I love it! I can't compare it to the PG since I haven't been on the latter but can tell you that the standard rooms are quite bigger on the Navigator from the PG.

With respect to the vibration, unless you are in a cabin toward the back you shouldn't worry. The vibration is felt on those cabins and in some public areas such as Portofino restaurant but it didn't bother me as I wasn't trying to sleep at the time!

I notice that that sailing has the option of $1,000 off in lieu of "free air". Have you checked to see if you can find airfare for less than that? I always buy my own air as usually is less expensive than through the cruise line plus you retain control of your air schedule. It's worth checking just in case you can do better.

Hopefully somebody here has experience with that route and comment.

I could find airfare for about $1100 on my own, but then when you add transfers from the seaport to airport, it goes even higher. Rome is quite a distance from the port. So it was cheaper to go with the free air. Of course, we may get terrible flights.

Are you spending any time in Rome and /or Athens?

No, we have small children and can not leave them with family more than the 8 days we will be gone. We've already been to Italy many times and plan a separate land trip to Greece in the future.

Is there a reason you asked?

• 4 weeks later...

You are very right to be concerned over leaving it the cruiseline, any cruiseline, to decide on your air booking, especially, if you're flying coach.

I've sailed 11 times on RSSC, and done coach to my own air, to buying their bus class upgrade. If you buy their coach air, and the transfer advantages for getting to the ship and getting help with your luggage are well worth doing, then at least, pay for a "deviation" for $75 a passenger.

With paying the "deviation" fee, you can name your own air carrier. We either go where are frequent flier miles are, or, after checking who has the best routing, pick that carrier. This keeps us from flying crazy routes just because the cruiseline decides to book you on the cheapest routes possible.

Live and learn.

Archived