Obituary souvenir on QE2

3rdGenCunarder

When I was on QE2 in Dec, They were putting out lots of shirts, mugs, tea towels in this design.

I like the listing of the events on QE2's career, but the dates 1967-2008 below that like an obituary! She isn't dead yet, thank-you-very-much, and I do not want a souvenir that reminds me that her sailing days are nearing an end.

I mentioned this at dinner one evening, and someone at our table said, "I was thinking about getting one of those shirts, but now that you've called it an obituary, I've gone off the idea." So she bought a different design.

Kathy

QE2_obitshirtcropped.jpg.f1c79f12538d417715ea9a684167793a.jpg

Depressing...and flawed. Is this not the twenty-sixth world cruise? Because wasn't the 2007 WC a big deal, because it was QE2's 25th and QM2's first? Thus, the 2008 WC is the 26th by default.

Hah! Now they have to reprint the shirts! :D

Depressing...and flawed. Is this not the twenty-sixth world cruise? Because wasn't the 2007 WC a big deal, because it was QE2's 25th and QM2's first? Thus, the 2008 WC is the 26th by default.

Hah! Now they have to reprint the shirts! :D

Not sure if that's a mistake. Last year was the "Silver Anniversary World Cruise" which might mean the 25th anniversary of her first WC, not the 25th WC?

Kathy

Maybe they are not counting this (2008) as a true world cruise as she only goes half way around and then turns around and comes back again.

Fair point, but the documents I have received for the LA - Southampton voyage are headed up 2008 Farewell World Cruise. The shore excursion booklet is titled 2008 World Cruise, so who knows what they are thinking.........:confused:

John

Keep in mind, this is Cunard. As mentioned recently, how many Farewell Crossings/Seasons have we had now? QE2's been farewelling since 2003.

But since they call this a WC in all media, I'd call it that. Actually, when you look at the map, and the list of ports, she's actually covering a large percentage of what she saw in 2007, with some new places added on. Really only missing some of the Med ports (still will visit there in the summer), a few in the Indian Ocean, and a few in Africa.

And Dubai, but I don't think they're too worried about missing their farewell call.

Now I have to find my 2007 brochure somewhere to see if they billed it expressly as the twenty-fifth WC. 2003 and 2005 are at hand, but 2007 is lost somewhere.

Aah, never mind that...found it on the Cunard website's NYC Tri-Call page.

"This is an historic occasion for Cunard and New York, marking the only time that the three ships will be together…ever!" said Carol Marlow, president of Cunard Line. "More history will be made as our grand dame QE2 departs on her 26th and final World Cruise and Queen Victoria will depart on her maiden World Cruise," added.

So, all ye Winter Crossers, buy them up and put 'em on eBay. They're "rare, error-riddled collectibles!" Just someone save one for me. ;)

Stuck to the front of my passport is a piece of paper which just gives the cabin number and underneath Silver Jubilee World Cruise. Since a Silver Wedding Anniversary means you have been married 25 years - surely it goes without saying that this 2007 is the 25th year in which she has cruised round the world. 2006 just says "Voyage of the Seven Wonders". I have been doing the cruise in stages for three years but still need to do Singapore to Southampton!

Hope the weather on the Atlantic is better than it is in Southampton - wet and windy.

Maureen

This is all getting a bit confusing - and reminds me of all the arguments as to wehne the real millennium was 2000 or 2001. I'd just make this point - ~In year 19XX QE2 carried out her first world cruise - the following year she would do her second WC but this would be the first anniversary, the next year would be her third WC but the 2nd anniversary of the inaugral event. Assuming QE2 carried out one world cruise every year her 25th world cruise would have been 24 years after the first one and her 25th anniversary cruise would in fact be the 26th WC.

Hope that makes sense

To put in into perspective when QV embarks on her second world cruise in 2009 (Haven't checked brochure but assuming she is) it will be on the first anniversary.

Archived