Goff's Cay or Starfish Island Break

LaShelle2

Please share your opinions of these 2 islands. We would like to relax, have a few drinks and maybe a bite to eat. We LOVE clear water and white sand.

Also, can Starfish be booked by private vendor or is it only available via Carnival shore excursions?

Goff''s if one is interested in some good snorkeling over a coral reef, which you didn't mention. It is a pretty island but small, and the facilities are a bit primitive and limited. Just a small hut for food and drink, a few scattered picnic tables, and primitive restrooms. No loungers. It is actually a Belize park.

Snorkeling (optional) is off the boat, and you basically drift over the coral back to the island in time for lunch. There is a nice sandy beach area where you can swim / soak on your own if you want.

On the plus side during lobster season which this year runs til February 15th, they will be grilling lobster tails for lunch along with delicious chicken kabobs. Beers are $2 and Floyd will be serving up free rum punch.

I haven't done Starfish, but from what I have heard there is no reef there, just sandy bottom, thus the starfish. Not sure about the facilities or food and drink... maybe someone else can give you the rundown.

Edited by James in SA

Please share your opinions of these 2 islands. We would like to relax, have a few drinks and maybe a bite to eat. We LOVE clear water and white sand.

Also, can Starfish be booked by private vendor or is it only available via Carnival shore excursions?

We did Starfish last November. One side of the island is roped off creating a swimming area where you can find starfish. The sand is white and the water clear. There are lounge chairs that can be moved under the trees for shade. There is a bar and a place to grab lunch under a covered area with picnic tables. Everything was very clean. You could walk way out in the water. There were a few fish up close. Some folks snorkeled but no one came out really glowing about what they had seen.

Near the food area there is a place you can go to handle the starfish. There are also hammocks all over the place. It wasn't too crowded when we were there. We tendered to and from the boat. It was a smooth ride with dolphins playing in the wake.

We went to Goffs not too long ago and I personally absolutely loved the place, but then again, I'm a snorkeling freak. :p The water there was probably the most clearest I have ever seen before. Absolutely gorgeous. But like another said, it's very primative. You won't find any vendors here with chair rental or food and drinks. The vendor you book with will bring food and drinks.

Starfish Island use to be called Bannister Island. I was there when it was Bannister Island and we liked the place. It did get a lot of negative reviews back then, but we didn't have any problems and there were so many starfish in the water...it was unbelievable.

I have complete reviews of both of these places in my signature line. They have TONS of photos in them. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Goff's for us, been twice.

You're likely to find many more peeps at Starfish/Bannister since the cruise lines use it. There are never more than 20 or so, maybe a few more at times at Goff's.

Crystal waters, shallow and deeper areas to snorkel and sit in and a thrilling fast boat ride through the mangroves back to town.

Drinks are $3 I think, lunch $6 or 7. Good basic caribbean food...we've not had the lobster, not in season when we went, but they will have some type of fish from those waters and chicken. Beans and salad or plantains. It's good though.