Arno's Bear Cruise.

dpcmh

• 4 months later...

We took an Arno cruise and were overall disappointed. We were corralled into their format without being provided options offered by the ship. For example, pre-scheduled group dinners every night with no organization--simply do your best to find a table. We could not just do dinner on our own. When we got back late from an excursion one evening they didn't even want to serve us dinner. to later find out that we could haver been on a 'schedule your own dinner time' via the ship, which we were never told about.

We also took the 'gay excursion' as suggested and it was unorganized and rough around the edges. We waited an hour in the downtown for our bus. And another hour at the airport waiting for a helicopter ride (Arno and the inner circle did not wait). One segment of the advertised excursion was eliminated with no explanation provided. This excursion started at 7 am or so and ended at 8pm. No food or provision to buy it was included. Really?!?

Other aspects such as the group dress up (lumberjacks) on the ship's formal night just felt awkward.

There was some clear clickiness among the group. If you're not part of that or the overall vibe this is not for you. While a party hearty scene, Atlantis offers a much more world class experience with an open group of friendly guys and lots of interesting themed events.

Edited by NYMetroTraveler
additional suggestion added

• 10 months later...

I just came across this thread and I thought I give my two cents to this as well. I and my partner were on the same cruise and I think I know exactly who you are. Let me tell you all, if you don't want to be with queens that are full of themselves, arrogant, and think they are better than anyone else, then avoid the NYMetroTravelers. We tried our best to distance ourselves from them after day two on the ship. You call it "clickiness", fine, you guys were the reason for that. Constantly bitching about something, annoying New Yorker Chelsea queens. Arno did an excellent job, it was the best cruise we have taken and we have since then taken every cruise he offered. He even won the best group cruise organizer award in 2015 and 2016. Check out his web site.

Group dining is one of the social highlights every day. Of course there is My Time Dining, and we all know about it if you read your registration. But we always decide to be with the group. Obviously you thought again you were special and did not want to be with the group. There is always food on the ship, 24.7. You can't just walk into a dining room whenever you feel like when it's fixed seating. Even for My Time Dining you have to make reservations. Also the buffet would have been an option when you were late for whatever reason.

The excursion you are talking about was the whale watch and for some others also the helicopter flight after. As you were also informed, the ship got into port 1 hour late so the group for whale watching was divided onto two boats. One group did the wale watch and then drove to a glacier, the other group skipped the glacier and drove to the airport to fly on a glacier with a helicopter. It was perfectly organized considering the late time we got into port. We did not start the excursion at 7 AM, another lie, we got into port at noon instead of 11 AM and where back way before dinner.

We loved the lumberjack party/dress up. People asked us on board who we were, we took a great group picture and we had an awesome time. It was maybe too butch for you two.

After all, it was the best cruise we have taken. We have done other bear cruises but we truly stay with Arno now. Our next cruise is February 2017, we are also booked for the summer cruise after Tidal Wave Orlando and on the 9 day Mediterranean cruise. He's doing an excellent job to make sure we all have a good time. Not to mention the goody bags, disco parties and the lower fares, much lower than Atlantis, or even the cruise line itself.

With all fairness, you can't make everyone happy and there is always a sour apple somewhere, in this case two.

We highly recommend Arno. Maybe join his Facebook page and talk to other travelers.

• 2 weeks later...

We're not from Chelsea or even Manhattan for that matter. Seems you have us confused with some other folks who also experienced some issues.

Not sure why the name calling and value judging is necessary but for those reading this for info:

The Excursion

Regardless of specific times, if the boat was an hour late the outfitter should have been ready to go. It's not like we surprised them by arriving an hour early.

We waited an hour in the harbor. No information was provided. That in addition to an hour in the airport for the helicopter tour burned 2 hours of an already short port day. I've been taking cruises since childhood and that was a first. Same for no meal, snacks or water being provided.

The outfitter was not organized. They called several times in the weeks leading up to the cruise informing us of fine-tuning and modifications. They seemed discombobulated.

Group Dinners

- A couple wanting to have a romantic dinner together while on vacation makes them think they're special? Really? The readers can make their own assessment on this.

- The buffet was not an option at the time we were looking to eat. That's the first place we went.

- My Time Dining was not detailed as an option.

Not going to nit pick the other "you say tomato i say tomato" details. Enjoy your bear cruises man

I find all reviews helpful. People have differing views and experiences and it's good to hear all of them.

Due to the smaller nature of the gay market I think it is harder for businesses focused on it to be successful. Thus if I have the choice I prefer giving my money and business to them. I haven't taken an Arno cruise yet but I'll keep an open mind.

I find all reviews helpful. People have differing views and experiences and it's good to hear all of them.

Due to the smaller nature of the gay market I think it is harder for businesses focused on it to be successful. Thus if I have the choice I prefer giving my money and business to them. I haven't taken an Arno cruise yet but I'll keep an open mind.

I would also encourage you to consider Adventure Bears. I've done both Arno's and Adventure Bears. In my opinion, there is some truth to NYMetroTraveler's comment about the "inner circle"--those whose have cruised together with Arno multiple times and/or are his "type". Adventure Bears seemed a bit less cliquish. But we all have our opinions.

I mostly book mainstream cruises. My next gay/bear cruise (as of now) is with Adventure Bears in November 2017. Would I book Arno's again? Probably, but Adventure Bears worked out better with my schedule and budget for my next gay/bear cruise.

Wow...I was rather surprised to see this thread resurrected....it went forever with 0 responses..... my question was sincere so a bit disappointed to see some ill comments... I've never heard of Adventure Bears....so thanks for that info. I'll check them out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What can we say? The ship was late and the outfitter was ready. The helicopters had a fixed time to fly, like planes. So they had to divide the group onto two boats. One that would do the whole whale watching tour and glacier and one to skip the glacier to get in time to the airport. Maybe it took time to get the second boat? I think this was great organization. It worked out fine for everyone. We got to the airport, got dressed in the special overalls and spiked boots and off we went. But blaming Arno for this? Really?

The buffet is open 24/7, it wasn't an option for the time you wanted to eat? Romantic dinner is fine, go to a specialty restaurant and not to the fixed dining.

We have done many many cruises in the last 35 years. We have booked Arno's cruises for next year solid.

He is friendly to everyone and tries to talk to everyone in the group. But when you have 250 people in a group it's sometimes not possible I guess. He also gives us more than any other bear cruises. We have done the other cruises and we are stuck with Arno now for many reasons. I will send him the link to this so maybe he can respond as well.

WOW, what happened? Should I even comment on this?. Yeah, why not.

First off, trust me, it's not easy to have 250 people in your group and make everyone happy. We have, like mentioned before, different opinions and needs. That specific cruise in Alaska was one of the best, I thought. We did get into port an hour late and I thought the excursion company did their best to accommodate to the fact that we were late and that the helicopters had to leave on time. We spent some quite time at the airport getting dressed into the overalls and also the spike boots. We also got weighted so they could level out the helicopters. Better safe than sorry.

I am sorry that I couldn't tell them before hand to do a better job and that the captain got us an hour late into port. Act of God? It was out of my hands, really.

As for dining on the ships. Royal has early and late seating, My Time Dining, the buffet and specialty restaurants. I organize group dining because it's a social event where we all sit together. I try to encourage everyone to change tables each night so you get to meet others in the group. I do the same every night. The buffet is always open and you can walk into the specialty restaurants if they are not booked. But fixed seating is by reservation only. My Time Dining you can walk in, but if there is no space or if it is late, after the kitchen closes, you may get no food or only what is available.

I don't think I have an inner circle to hang out with all the time, but maybe I am guilty off talking to some more often than others.

We do stuff together, the disco parties, pool parties, excursions, and I try to say hi to everyone. Just come up to me an talk to me. I am an open book and I like to socialize with others.

While on board there is a lot to organize, things changes all the time, the cruise line changes venues and so on. So if you don't see me, I am doing something to keep everything going. The Lumber Jack party looked so cool and other guests on the ship asked us if we were all real lumberjacks or power lifters LOL. So I don't understand what was not too like since everyone did it.

I am sorry you guys had a bad experience while most or even all others enjoyed the trip to Alaska. Trust me I am trying hard to make everyone happy, have an awesome vacation, get the most out of your money and save a lot of hard earned $$$. If you want, join my facebook page and talk to others about it their experiences.

There are many other bear cruises out there and I think each has their own flair and clientele. Some are party groups, some are more upscale and relaxing, some are both. What someone likes on my cruise, someone else may doesn't. I keep the group open for everyone, any age, any gender, any sexual orientation. It works for us and the group and we do have a great time on Royal's ships. Royal is a proud sponsor of my cruises and I want to keep it that way.

Again, I am sorry if something did not go the way it should have been. The one hour late in port messed up some things but at the end, we all got to do the excursions. Some things I can control, many I can't but I can assure you I do my best to make things happen.

If you have any questions or concerns, just email or call me any time.

Happy Sailing guys.

Arno

ArnosCruises.com

There are many other bear cruises out there and I think each has their own flair and clientele. Some are party groups, some are more upscale and relaxing, some are both.

Hi Arno, I'm new to bear cruises. I was wondering where'd you say your group fits in compared to others?

Hey Chris.

One of the things that distinguishes Arno's Cruises from the other bear cruise groups is that I keep my groups to a maximum of 250 people, give or take. That size gives us a nice diversity of types and ages but stays small enough that everyone gets to know each other. Larger groups tend to get cliquish. My group doesn't. Of course you make new friends and many you only meet once a year on my cruises. Those guys hang out more together, which is normal. Call it cliquish, or just a reunion party.

While we have a lot of repeat customers who look forward to meeting up with their friends from previous cruises, newcomers report that the group always makes them feel welcome, and I also make a strong effort to spend time with all of our newcomers to welcome them on board. Another distinction is that my big cruises every year are in high season, which means the best weather. I try to organize private shore excursions for our group in every port, or else work with Royal Caribbean to make arrangements for our group on one of their shore excursions. I also organize a lot of private parties on board.

I usually do two cruises a year. The Caribbean Cruise in winter and a specialty cruise in summer/fall to other places in the world. We have done Alaska, Canary Islands, Canada, I started the Bear Cruise after Bear Week in Sitges out of Barcelona. And in 2017 we do Bear Week in Sitges again, then fly to Rome for a cruise to Turkey and Greece. In the following years you will see cruises somewhere else in the world. Trust me, it will be absolutely great.

But what really makes Arno's Cruises different is the people who go on the cruises. They are an amazing group of fun, kind, and warm guys (and some great gals). So I recommend that you just ask them on our Facebook page why they prefer Arno's Cruises. You will get an honest answer and critics. Just check it out. Look on facebook for Arno's Bear Cruises. Anything else? Feel free to contact me any time. Thanks. Arno

Edited by Arnos Cruises

Two years ago I was on a cruise where Arno and his bears were also present. My partner and I are not bears en were not part of that group. We saw that they had a lot of fun together and contributed a big part of the good atmosphere on the ship.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We just got off the Feb cruise with him on RCCL Liberty of the Seas and had a fantastic time.

Arno's group had over 320 people, with a wonderful mix of folks (including Bear/otter, twink, musclebear, gay, straight couples, lesbian, allies. . we even had folks with their Parents, and one gUncle (Gay Nephew & Husband brought along he Gay Uncle). . . .WONDERFULLY diverse group, all very friendly and very fun to spend time with.

Arno booked a Hotel in Houston for those who wanted to start the trip off earlier, and then he booked bus transportation to the Port in Galveston from Houston for those who wanted to all go as a group (we had 3 buses).

the Schedule he put together was very well done, with lots of free time to explore the ship, as well as to participate in the group functions if one so chose.

on our trip, those Arno Group functions included:

-- a White Party (only for Arno's group) in Studio B, and he brought in Entertainer Ultra Nate' for a performance . . . she KILLED

-- a Meet and Greet (and poster signing) cocktail Meet Up with Ultra-Nate' (free!) for those that wanted to meet her

-- Excursions at Roatan (Catamaran), Belize (Mayan Ruins), and Cozumel (Beach Party) that were specific for his group. . . and although we didn't do the Roatan one, the two we did were absolutely amazing and we had an incredible time. (the only hiccup being some terrible food as part of the Belize excursion, but that was RCCl, not Arno. . .the excursion itself was stunning).

-- Theme Party Friday night -- ours was themed to the films "the 5th Element" / 80's Disco.. that again took place only in Studio B for Arno's group. . and it was a Blast. Lemme tell you, those on the ship who attended the ships official "70's" disco party that night (which ended after only 45 minutes) were jealous as heck over our party that went on into the wee hours.

-- and that's not to mention fun functions like the "Red Hat Day" at the adult pool.

Or the "All the Singlet Ladies -- wear your singlet if you dare" also at the adult pool, or the multiple "meet ups for Cocktails" at bars thruout the trip.

Arno booked us all for dinner in the 8pm seating, and we basically had the entire left side of the 3rd floor dining room. . .after the first night, folks were free to move around among the tables and make new friends if they chose to.

VERY well organized (and the goodie bag with lanyards, laminated nametags/schedules, beach towels.. was an excellent bonus. . . as were the Cupcakes and chocolates he sent to the rooms!).

oh, there were some hiccups here and there, and Arno did his best to resolve the issues. *none* of which were his fault, by the way, but he tried to make things right.

He's a good guy, and he creates a great mix of folks to travel & hang with. Honestly, we didn't do very many of the "Ship's activities", preferring to stick with Arno scheduled things, as those appeared to be more fun.

We'll travel again with Arno the moment We're able to . . . yes, he's THAT good.

Edited by bert425

My husband and I just came back from Arno's Feb 2017 cruise. It is our second trip with the group, and we're booked on our third for March of 2018. We have not done any other gay cruises but at this point it would be hard to find a reason to do so. Great experience, wonderful group. I suggest contacting Arno directly if you have questions...he is always responsive and whenever I contact him I feel like I'm his only customer. Dude is good at what he does.

Regarding the whole "clique" thing: Scott and I made friends on our first Arno cruise last June, and we've kept in touch on FB. Meeting up in February, we were eager to catch up and hang out...so when you see these 'cliques" don't assume they are being exclusive...just glad to see folks again. Say hi and see what happens before you get all pissy on a public forum.

I can't say anything about the excursions as we typically like to hang on the ship when everyone gets off..but as another poster has said take a look at the Arno's Cruises FB page and you'll get plenty of details. Have to say, though, that as much as we enjoy staying on the ship when it empties out, we're rethinking that because everyone we talked to who went on the excursions Arno set up made us regret not going! The private events were awesome.

Loved the goody bag with the towel, lanyard, nametag, flavored popcorn and the surprise cupcakes and chocolates in the room!

Bottom line, I recommend Arno's cruises without reservation. With all due respect, if you don't have a good time the problem is probably you.

I just started reading this thread and the experiences that you all have had sounds amazing. We would love to join an "Arno" cruise but, being Aussies, It makes it very expensive to get to the U.S. for the cruises. We've already booked on the Golden princess in May this year for a 75 night cruises around the Pacific Rim, so we've spent our cruise money for this year. With a bit of planning and a bit of luck on the stock market we may be able to do a cruise with Arno sometime late in 2018 so we hope to see you all then.