bike rentals

unittech

We will be arriving in KW at 10 am in the morning via rccl Majesty. Thinking of renting bikes and traveling around town in the morning. I ride 10 miles a day but my husband maybe 10 minutes a week! Is it fairly safe to ride the streets there? Is bike riding a good idea? I'm assuming we will make stops so hubby should be ok. Besides, will bribe him with a Duval crawl later. Other ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Three things :

1. Eaton bikes will deliver bikes to you. In front of the Customs House is easy to find for both of you ---> https://www.eatonbikes.com/

2. While there are a lot of bikes used in Key West, I don't suggest them. There's only a few bike lanes out on the other side of the island, and Whitehead, Duval, and Simon get a lot of traffic, as do the cross streets.

3. Key West is so small that you can walk at your own pace, explore, and linger at places that look interesting. And walking is free.

Pjk

Edited by peter_krynicki

Three things :

1. Eaton bikes will deliver bikes to you. In front of the Customs House is easy to find for both of you ---> https://www.eatonbikes.com/

2. While there are a lot of bikes used in Key West, I don't suggest them. There's only a few bike lanes out on the other side of the island, and Whitehead, Duval, and Simon get a lot of traffic, as do the cross streets.

3. Key West is so small that you can walk at your own pace, explore, and linger at places that look interesting. And walking is free.

Pjk

Thanks Peter. Was wondering about traffic. Is it possible to walk from ship to the southern most point? I thought that was quite a distance. We both like walking so that might be the way to go. We do have pix of the southern point from before, so not a big deal if missed. Might just get a map, plan a route and walk. Besides, can always stop somewhere if thirsty. Thanks again.

Thanks Peter. Was wondering about traffic. Is it possible to walk from ship to the southern most point? I thought that was quite a distance. We both like walking so that might be the way to go. We do have pix of the southern point from before, so not a big deal if missed. Might just get a map, plan a route and walk. Besides, can always stop somewhere if thirsty. Thanks again.

Easy to walk if you're used to walking. I think I've heard it's about 1.5 miles. It took me about 20-25 minutes to walk from Mallory Square to Southernmost Point.

There's enough to see walking up Whitehead - The Green Parrot, Audubon House, Kelly's Hanger, Hemingway House, Lighthouse - that you don't notice the distance. You can walk straight to the Point,, then , as a break, walk one block over on South Street and on the far corner of South and Duval, see the Southernmost Beach Café. Good for a sit-down ---> http://www.southernmostbeachcafe.com/

Pjk

• 2 weeks later...

A little late but my wife and I always rent bikes when we stay in KW. We've rented from Eaton Bike each time with no problems. I don't find any difficulty riding around and, as a seasoned bicyclist, you shouldn't either.

• 1 month later...