Gift Ideas for QM2 Cruisers...

Collz

My parents are sailing on the QM2 transatlantic crossing in April 2008. They are both a young, healthy mid-70 and haven't cruised in many, many years. I was thinking that for Christmas this year, I could give them gifts relating to their cruise.

Is there anything onboard that I could pre-pay or arrange for them? Being that there are not shore excursions, I'm a little lost!

I've gone over the Cunard website, but I'm really not coming up with anything. Is there any type of class or ship tour, etc? I was thinking a Spa treatment or two, and although my mom would enjoy it, I know my dad would probably grumble his way through it.

I'd love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks!

Ships tours and lectures are included. When you get your tickets, you get the list of preorder gifts then. If you call Cunard, I am sure they will send you the list now, and you can get it ordered. It is things like wine, chocs, bears etc. I am quite sure that you can also purchase spa gift certificates.

I hope this helps a little.

James

How lovely for your folks. I too am eyeing one of the April crossings... hopefully!!! If you go to the Cunard site you can also find the list of thigs you can purchase and have waiting in their cabin. You can download the list here...

http://www.cunard.com/images/Content/Gift%20Collection.pdf

This should give you an idea of things that might interest them. You can even put any amount of money in their onboard account for them to use onboard in the places that have charges....Todd English restaurant, the shops etc.

The spa is a wonderful idea for your Mom, and if your Dad isn't interested in massages per se, he might enjoy the Spa Club passport...this gives him use of the excellent spa facilities which you can read about on the Spa page.

I hope they have a fabulous time. Have them read this review by my friend Pepper about his TA. It's a wonderful read with a lot of helpful information. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

You could also get them things like their own Cunard bathrobes to take home. Or they can be purchased when you aren't on the ship, so you could theoretically have them waiting at home when they get back. I think! Ah! I don't know for sure! But I can look again on the website tomorrow, if you remind me to. :)

How lovely for your folks. I too am eyeing one of the April crossings... hopefully!!!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Penny,

If you are considering B2B for April, why don't you consider a REAL B2B with 4 days in between (to visit Norway, Belgium, Enalgnd or France, for instance, and take the Eurostar) and take the QE2 Eastbound out of New York, and the QM2 Westbound out of Southampton. You will never again have this opportunity. don't let it pass you by. You need to say you've been on her.

come join us.

April 12- QE2 EB, April 22 QM2 WB.

We'd certainly love to have you on board!

Karie,

who is honorable keeper of the Roll Call and Cabin Cavalcade

We always bring our own electric digital clock with big numbers which we can see across the room at night. I bring a power strip to charge my camera, laptop and razor. Though we have never used it, we often read here that we should bring gaffers tape. Brookstone (brookstone.com)offers small combination luggage locks which can be opened by approved authorities. Finally, those bottles of wine do add up. Why not a deposit in their account with a card saying "the drinks are on this house."

They will love the entire experience. Wish them well.

From a very healthy 79 year old from Safety Harbor, Florida.

I knew I came to the right place! Thanks for your quick responses. I've been a voyeur here for months, popping in and out getting ideas.

I'm so excited for my parents for this trip and I'd like to make sure it is so very special and a trip of a lifetime.

I just thought of another question, tho. They'll be spending three months traveling in Europe after the cruise and the clothes they'll need for the cruise will be vastly different from what they'll be wearing wandering around Europe. Has anyone ever mailed their formal attire home, once they've arrived there so they don't have to lug it everywhere?

Thanks to all again!

Coll

Penny,

If you are considering B2B for April, why don't you consider a REAL B2B with 4 days in between (to visit Norway, Belgium, Enalgnd or France, for instance, and take the Eurostar) and take the QE2 Eastbound out of New York, and the QM2 Westbound out of Southampton. You will never again have this opportunity. don't let it pass you by. You need to say you've been on her.

I'm confused. I thought that the whole thing about a back to back was that you stayed on board.

You've got a really great trip there Karie, but it isn't more of a "real" back to back than out and back on one ship.

Matthew

I'm confused. I thought that the whole thing about a back to back was that you stayed on board.

You've got a really great trip there Karie, but it isn't more of a "real" back to back than out and back on one ship.

Matthew

Whatever!

I hadn't realized there was a formal definition.

Okay, a back-to-back-with-a-bit-of-space-in-between.

Or a back-to-almost-back

Or maybe a side-to-side, since we are also swapping ships.

Or just call it a "crossing -followed-really-close-on-by-another-crossing-on-a-totally-different-ship. "

<sigh>

It's going to make posting a lot more work!

Karie,

who apologizes for misleading all who are sharing THESE voyages with me, as I seem to have lead them to exhibiting to same faut pas. tsk, tsk

Whatever!

I hadn't realized there was a formal definition.

There isn't, as far as I'm aware.

I'm just saying that your back to back (or whatever) isn't more of a REAL back to back (your phrase) and that if anything it is less so. Quite frankly I don't really care.

I got the impression you were belittling those who have done traditional back to back crossings on either QM2 or (as I have) on QE2. In other words your way was the only way.

It isn't. Anymore than my way is the only way. Which you keep reminding me of.

Matthew

My parents are sailing on the QM2 transatlantic crossing in April 2008. They are both a young, healthy mid-70 and haven't cruised in many, many years. I was thinking that for Christmas this year, I could give them gifts relating to their cruise.

Is there anything onboard that I could pre-pay or arrange for them? Being that there are not shore excursions, I'm a little lost!

I've gone over the Cunard website, but I'm really not coming up with anything. Is there any type of class or ship tour, etc? I was thinking a Spa treatment or two, and although my mom would enjoy it, I know my dad would probably grumble his way through it.

Thanks!

Difficult. If anyone was thinking of getting anything for Kirsten and me then I expect that they would have similar problems.

There isn't much in the way that can be sent, and a lot of it is, quite frankly, overpriced. You haven't said whether they are embarking at Southampton or New York. Certainly at Southampton things can be sent in to the ship (I sent flowers to my wife on our first trip, but we had a fair number in the suite anyway, so the result was more of a gesture than substantive!)

You could get them a really nice bottle of champagne for their first night sailaway - if they are the type that would like that.

Is there any way you can get them to the ship more easily/more luxuriously than otherwise? I did once book a Rolls Royce to take us to Southampton, which was expensive but was lovely. It took Ian McNaught home once it had dropped us! What about a night in a really nice hotel local to the port? Waldorf=Astoria if New York perhaps.

I'm not sure what your budget is either, which makes it harder.

Hope I've been of some use - if not feel free to ignore my ramblings!

Matthew

There isn't, as far as I'm aware.

I'm just saying that your back to back (or whatever) isn't more of a REAL back to back (your phrase) and that if anything it is less so. Quite frankly I don't really care.

I got the impression you were belittling those who have done traditional back to back crossings on either QM2 or (as I have) on QE2. In other words your way was the only way.

It isn't. Anymore than my way is the only way. Which you keep reminding me of.

Matthew

KC,

The "Real" referred to getting Penny FINALLY on the QE2, not to the fact there were days in between.

Read the rest of the post. I told her she would regret it and never get another chance.

The entire point of the post was to convince Penny to take the QE2. That is all

Sorry if I mislead anyone with my phrasing,

Somehow, in my mind, *I* knew what I meant! <G>

karie,

who would be sad if Penny never got to experience the QE2, due to her love affair with QM2.

The entire point of the post was to convince Penny to take the QE2. That is all.

Well, a laudible aim. I can't deny that!

And don't think I've a downer on your trip - I think there is merit in doing it your way.

And the other way too!

Anyhow, if you want a "real" back to back, surely that has to be both ways on QE2? :D And back in the days when it berthed in Manhattan.:) Of course. :D Oh, and with the Queen Elizabeth Suite going westbound, for the view of Manhattan.;)

Matthew

Thanks!

I think an on-board credit would be the best bet. That way, they can spend it as they see fit. You might look for a trip-realted gift to go with a note saying you're giving them the credit. Perhaps a nice blank book to use for a journal, or a photo album. (The bookstore in the library on QE2 sells a very nice Cunard travel journal, but I don't think you can buy it anywhere except onboard QE2 and QM2.)

Will they do any touring before or after the TA? Perhaps you could make up a goodie bag with an extra memory card (if they have a digital camera), a new address book, a travel guide and/or map for wherever they're going, etc, and include a note about the credit with that.

If you give a credit, remind them when it's time for them to sail to look for a note in their cabin saying they've got the credit, and then to make sure it does get credited at the end. Several years ago, we were given a credit for a Christmas present (to use on the Christmas cruise). We got the credit note when we sailed, but the credit disappeared from our final account. Cunard did make good on it, but it took some doing. It's the only time out of several that we had a problem with a credit, but it does happen.

Kathy

Well, a laudible aim. I can't deny that!

And don't think I've a downer on your trip - I think there is merit in doing it your way.

And the other way too!

Anyhow, if you want a "real" back to back, surely that has to be both ways on QE2? :D And back in the days when it berthed in Manhattan.:) Of course. :D Oh, and with the Queen Elizabeth Suite going westbound, for the view of Manhattan.;)

Matthew

That's it.

Break my heart.

Rub it in.

that I can never ever do that for the rest of my life.

Gee, thanks, Matthew. I think <sniff> I'll go to bed now <sniff> I seem to have gotten something caught in my <sniff> eye.

Karie,

<sniff>

That's it.

Break my heart.

Rub it in.

that I can never ever do that for the rest of my life.

Gee, thanks, Matthew. I think <sniff> I'll go to bed now <sniff> I seem to have gotten something caught in my <sniff> eye.

Karie,

<sniff>

Just for you Karie....

QE2QM2027-1.jpg

Matthew

Gorgeous. Can't wait to see it for myself. Can you make sure I'm awake?

First trip I did I was up all night! And then chilled to the bone by the time we had docked.

Second trip was the one pictured - Kirsten's first - when we had the luxury of one of only two forward facing balconies, and were on the Manhattan side of the ship. We could deal with the bridge, pop in for breakfast in our suite, then pop in and out.

Kirsten was waving to Captain McNaught with two dressing gowns on - that is, Kirsten was wearing the dressing gowns, not Ian McNaught.

It was a lovely experience. Best way to see New York for the first time, sailing up the river to the Manhattan Terminal.

Matthew

OOHH! Ahh!

Actually I hadn't noticed the Manhattan bit til you mentioned it.

I just noticed the gorgeous sky!

You could have been sailing towards a garbage dump and I don't think I would have noticed due to that sky!

karie,

Sorry, New York skyline does nothing for me.

New York (or better, Caribbean) SKY does!

First trip I did I was up all night! And then chilled to the bone by the time we had docked.

Second trip was the one pictured - Kirsten's first - when we had the luxury of one of only two forward facing balconies, and were on the Manhattan side of the ship. We could deal with the bridge, pop in for breakfast in our suite, then pop in and out.

Kirsten was waving to Captain McNaught with two dressing gowns on - that is, Kirsten was wearing the dressing gowns, not Ian McNaught.

It was a lovely experience. Best way to see New York for the first time, sailing up the river to the Manhattan Terminal.

Matthew

I'm glad you left the Captain McNaught+dressing gowns part as first written....it made me laugh.

Really, that is such a lovely picture--and unique besides! I've seen the Manhattan skyline a time or two, but it's always lovely, and I'd be happy to pretend I was seeing it for the first time. But wait--it will be the first time from onboard QE2. :)

For my first crossing (its my only one so far but it won't be my last) on the QM2, which was also my 1st cruise ever, a friend had arranged for flowers for my cabin. It was totally unexpected and a very nice surprise. It livened up the room and I really appreciated it. It was probably overpriced, but a very nice and thoughtful gift. The Cunard website has a link to get a gift form and order gifts.

They'll be spending three months traveling in Europe after the cruise ...

Coll

Here is the most expensive suggestion you are likely to get: treat them to a QM2 transatlantic voyage home after their European jaunt. Those 25-hour days of the westbound crossing will help keep them young.

Paul

Archived