Juneau whale watching/Mendehall Glacier Tour

MRF777

Hi, I'm looking for a recommendation for a Whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier tour in Juneau. I would book with Harv N Marv but I will be bringing my 6yr old daughter on this trip and they don't have a tour available. Thanks for the help!

Hi, I'm looking for a recommendation for a Whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier tour in Juneau. I would book with Harv N Marv but I will be bringing my 6yr old daughter on this trip and they don't have a tour available. Thanks for the help!

I have booked Juneau tours for our excursion in August. I cannot recommend, because I have never been but it may be worth a shot.

I went with Juneau Tours and had a great time. I hope you see just as many whales but a lot less rain :cool: All the best, Tony

KV1XSxkNCl4 GOMA2HeTGJw

Try going to your roll call. Ask there if there is someone else with a young child who will join you. It isn't that they won't take young kids it is just that they don't want your child bugging someone else and someone else bugging your child. The small boats hold up to 6 so perfect for another couple with one child to join you.

We are going in August with our 4 grandchildren. We booked the whole boat and I can't be happier. Instead of coffee we will have hot chocolate. Ordering a pizza for the kids to eat since they will be coming right off a helicopter ride.

We went with Juneau Tours last year. Had a much better experience than with Harv and Marv who we’ve been out with twice although never again. Juneau Tours has a combo whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier trip. The boats are a little bigger than H and M who do cancel periodically when it gets rough since the boats are so small.

Since "Harv and Marv" sold their business out a couple of years ago, I like to go with "Harv and Marv's" daughter's boat and business now. The old company earned the good rep, not the one now. Her name is Jayleen Beedle, and her company is Jayleensalaska.com. She has a six person boat and caters to her customers just like her dad did for so many years. Give her an email and see what she can do for you. I have found her to be great at working with all kinds of families, kids, old, young, able bodied, etc, to make a great experience for everyone. You will not be disappointed. The prices are great and you only have six people onboard!!!!

The captain of this trip was Jayleen Beedle. With all of the positive reviews, I would have been skeptical of this poster if I had not been on this trip as well.

We were on a morning trip on a 6 passenger boat on June 18. Seas were 2-3 feet. Our captain was worried, as seas were bad the day before, and she was checking with the office to see how the seas would be for the return, which was 3-4 feet. We saw lots of whales but hard to take pictures. Our captain radioed she was not going back out for the afternoon. On the way back, we had to "off board" a euphemism for abandon ship, and it was not very well executed, but no one went overboard. All the other boats were getting back, but not ours. She indicated she was going to motor south, so if she was your captain, no way would she have been back, or in any shape to pilot. Sorry you missed your trip, but very scary abandoning a ship and boarding another in rough seas with a captain who was in panic mode.

She exuded confidence on "OK" waters and was very enthusiastic and pleasant. If I videoed her during our ordeal, you might lose confidence in her. I am on old ICU nurse, and she had the look of someone who was trying to remember what she learned, but had never had to do this before, and was panic stricken. A captain in calm waters is completely different than a captain in a crisis. She knew she didn't have the skill to get back to harbor, so she decided to have us abandon ship, but everyone else out there did have the skill, and she was dissing another company that had problems the day before. Funny what happens when it happens on your watch. The other responder to this thread that was on our boat was someone I never met, and he was sitting in front watching the water wash into the front, so he knows what he saw. Jayleen had trouble remembering port from starboard, and what down current meant. She should have instructed her passengers to don life vests. She made many mistakes, and we hope she has learned form this experience, but if I was doing another whale watch, I would want to know who was piloting, and what their experience was. As I said to BudgetQueen...lesson learned. Glad I got to celebrate my birthday the next day...