Pearl with a 2.5 year old

arlodog

I originally had planned on going to Alaska late May with my grown son since he had never been before. I was looking at the site and found 3rd and 4th passenger sail free promo so added my daughter and 2 1/2 year old granddaughter to our reservation. It will be our first cruise with a child that young :rolleyes:. (hope it's not a big mistake!)

I have read the threads on the family forum, but am looking specifically for input on this class of ship. My DH and I went on the Getaway last June and thought it would be a great ship for kids. We sailed on Jade in January (sister ship to the Pearl) and were not as impressed with the offerings for shipboard activities. It will probably be too cold to be at the pool, so what other activities are available for little ones?

We know the cabin will be tight, but we have sailed many times in a cabin with 4 of us when our kids were little. Excursions are not a problem, we have those planned out. Really just looking to see if there will be enough to keep a 2 year old who can't go to the kids club busy on the few sea days we have.

Thanks!

There is some parent and tot programming through Splash for the under 3 set but it is more an hour here and an hour there than a full slate on sea days. Can't specifically speak to the Pearl but the Jade had a great play area with padded floor and toys that was well used by little ones with their parents (including our little guy with us). The similar space on the Jewel was smaller and set up as a craft room so was less functional for free play.

Perhaps someone with direct Pearl experience can chime in.

Thanks for the feedback. We didn't really pay attention when we were on the Jade as we had decided that we weren't going to cruise with the little one until she was older; but decided that the promo was too good to pass up!

Hopefully someone with some Pearl experience can chime in! I know the newer, bigger ships have more to offer, but hoping this is a good experience!

Thanks for the feedback. We didn't really pay attention when we were on the Jade as we had decided that we weren't going to cruise with the little one until she was older; but decided that the promo was too good to pass up!

Hopefully someone with some Pearl experience can chime in! I know the newer, bigger ships have more to offer, but hoping this is a good experience!

I know every family and every situation is different but we have LOVED cruising with our kids and started as soon as they passed the 6-month old threshold. Walking along the outer decks, playing with the big chess/checker sets, checking out the sports deck, going to the organized tot activities, we found lots to do.

Hope it's a great experience for you too.

csm

We haven't been on the Pearl since we started bringing my daughter, but we've been on the Sun and the Dawn. Both had a dedicated play room with age appropriate toys. Most of the day was free play time, but they had an activity scheduled every day. She cruised as a 14 month old and 18 month old and had fun both times.