CocoCay Excursion Review

Hello.

My mom, brother and I got off Freedom of the Seas a week ago. We had a nice time, aside from the fact that the Flowrider was only half on. But, that's another story.

My main reason for writing this is to inform people about the CocoCay Nature Walk excursion.

My mom and I took this excursion. We got off the tender and asked people where the Nature Walk started. No one knew. We were finally directed into the interior of the island only to find out that was wrong. We managed to get a ride back to the guide, but it was hot and we had already walked a half mile and were sweating.

So, we start walking with the group of about 15. We walked along a sand road and saw 2 iguanas. The guide showed us a sage plant and showed us how to make a basket made of palm fronds.

We then went into the woods and climbed a hill made of roots and rocks. My mom had a hard time with this. One elderly gentleman almost passed out. The paramedics attended him and took him and his party back to the village.

We then went into the woods and climbed back down the rocks. After that, we were at the beach. That was it!

Royal Caribbean's description of this excursion says you will see a variety of plants and birds, and you will be told about the interesting pirates that visited the area. We saw very few plants and literally no birds. We did see a rooster though, but that was before the excursion even started. My mom says she heard birds in the woods but never saw any of them. She thinks the bird calls were electronic. They have a grave marked Blackbeard, but he is not buried there. Very little interesting information was provided.

If you go to Royal Caribbean's website, and look up this excursion, someone said that you see sharks and dolphins. LOL No, you don't.

As a matter of fact, you can walk the nature trail on your own, you don't even have to pay. The only thing you're paying for is the guide, and at $30 a pop, it's flat out not worth it.

We were both disappointed with the excursion and don't recommend it.

You could have voiced your displeasure to the Shore Excursions manager and gotten at least a partial refund while on board.

Unfortunately, there's probably little you can do after the fact, although you may want to call Corporate Guest Relations at 1-800-256-6649 and ask.