Princess Cay - options for touring Eleuthera?

loozie

I'm interested in finding out about options for touring Eleuthera during our visit to Princess Cay. My husband's grandparents lived in Eleuthera, and he has fond memories of childhood visits. They've both since passed away, but he would much rather spend time seeing the island and visiting old haunts than hanging out on the beach, knowing these places are a hop, skip, and a jump away.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to tour Eleuthera (not what this stop is for, I suppose) so I thought the best way to see the island would be to book the Taste of Eleuthera tour. However, the reviews I've found here have been fairly dismal. (Though to be fair, I've been to Eleuthera, and the grocery store *is* a highlight of the island, sad produce and all.) The other plan was to book a taxi or driver to come meet us at the gates. However, I'm not sure if this is practical, especially since the tenders mean that we won't be able to have a set meeting time.

Any thoughts? Has anyone ever left Princess Cay in search of the rest of Eleuthera?

Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Eleuthera is not a resort-type island, so I would say "no". There are two resorts in the north, The Cove, which is about a 2 hour drive from Princess Cays and they are not open to random visitors as they are upper end and like their visitors' privacy and, Sky Beach, which is about an hour and a half north of Princess Cays, so it's also a little out of reach for cruisers. Sky Beach has a small infinity pool by the restaurant, but that is all they have to offer.

I checked out the other thread you suggested...lots of good info. Are there any new activities that may have been added since then? Any input from previous cruise passengers? Is this the place where people were getting stung by baby jellyfish and didn't realize it till they broke out in a strange rash?

Edited by papalance
Found out more info.

I checked out the other thread you suggested...lots of good info. Are there any new activities that may have been added since then? Any input from previous cruise passengers? Is this the place where people were getting stung by baby jellyfish and didn't realize it till they broke out in a strange rash?

I have taken the Discover Lighthouse Beach tour with Eleuthera Tours. :) It was great. Lighthouse Beach is really special. Two tour guides met me just outside the gates at Princess Cays. The drive down was really rough, but it was kind of fun bouncing around in the jeep. One of the guides cooks lunch while the other shows you around. I snorkeled in the water, but did not see any jellyfish. The lunch was really good with the conch cooked on the beach. At some points you can see your ship off in the distance. Hope this helps.

I was on the Royal Princess last week and took the Rock Sound, Tarpum Bay, Scenic Drive tour through Princess for $99 at Princess Cays. There is nothing to really see. It was a two lane road with nothing but shrubery along the sides. We did stop at a school and visited a class where the kids sang songs and shook everyone's hands. We also made a stop in a church parking lot so everyone could cross the street to shop in a very small gift shop.

We stopped for lunch at a rustic bar/restaurant for a buffet lunch which consisted of conch fritters, mac & cheese and chicken wings. I don't eat any of those items and there was nothing else to eat.

The bus broke down and eventually they sent us another bus. We were an hour late getting back to the port.

Not worth the price paid!!!!!!!!! I don't recommend it at all.