Capturing Norway

I'm going on a Norwegian Fjords cruise this September and am looking for any hint & tips on setting up my Nikon D3100 (18-200mm lens) for two different situations:

A) General landscape photos of the fjords to get the absolute best colours and sharpness of the whole landscape.

B) Should I be lucky enough to see the Northern Lights what are the best setting for this as I have had difficulties focusing on the night sky before.

I have been using the auto mode :eek: and am slowly grasping how to set up the other modes on the camera:confused:. I should also note that I have got a Hoya Circular Polarizing filter if this will aid either scenario?

Thanks

Paul

I'm going on a Norwegian Fjords cruise this September and am looking for any hint & tips on setting up my Nikon D3100 (18-200mm lens) for two different situations:

A) General landscape photos of the fjords to get the absolute best colours and sharpness of the whole landscape.

B) Should I be lucky enough to see the Northern Lights what are the best setting for this as I have had difficulties focusing on the night sky before.

I have been using the auto mode and am slowly grasping how to set up the other modes on the camera. I should also note that I have got a Hoya Circular Polarizing filter if this will aid either scenario? Thanks. Paul

Appreciate your good questions, especially since you have a Nikon D3100. That's the camera that I have now and it works super well for a trip like you have upcoming. Below are a few of my photo examples from what we saw and did in Bergen, Alesund and Geiranger. Much more can be seen for the details, etc., from my live/blog connected below.

Personally, I normally shoot in the "P" mode. That allows a little more flexibility. The best "secret" is to have great weather. Unfortunately, neither my Nikon, nor yours, have a camera setting for that key, technical factor.

Doubt you will see the Northern Lights. That's more in the winter time. Sorry! Yes, that Polarizing filter can be very helpful, especially on sunny days.

In most cases, I shoot in the "P" program/auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. These cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those challenges and distractions. Here are a few basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That's easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and/or poor ones. The more you shoot, that improves your "odds" to get better pictures, varied framings, etc.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different, more interesting angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing. I do that on my MacBook Pro computer using their iPhoto software tools. Fairly quick and easy!!

See more details and ideas were previously posted at: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

Alesund’s architecture is characterized by its turrets, spires, medieval-romantic frontages . and other whimsical touches that give this town its distinctive style. It is like something from a fairytale. On the night of January 23, 1904, the town, built largely of wood, was totally destroyed at night by gale-aided flames. Only one person died, but more than 10,000 people were left without shelter. Germany’s Kaiser Wilhelm vacationed nearby and sent four warships with materials to build temporary shelters. The town was rebuilt in stone, brick and mortar in Jugendstil or Art Nouveau, the architectural style of the time. This design reflects a “romance with the past” and highlights Nordic mythology along its winding streets. To honor Wilhelm, one of the most frequented streets of the city is named after him. The town has an unusually consistent architecture, most of the buildings having been built between 1904 and 1907.

What are your follow-up questions, reactions, other interests?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 111,432 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. We went there, but it was totally “socked in”. It was so thick, you could barely find your bus on this day on top of the big mountain crowded with lots of buses from the Costa ship. But this view, at a lower level, makes up for that problems and provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered in Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. Here is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite it in this narrow fjord, there is another “biggie” called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Thank you for reply, I remember reading your Silver Cloud Review when we first booked this cruise last year but will probably skip though it again. I will certainly check out the other link. Thanks again. Paul

Appreciate, Paul, the nice comments and that you had seen the posting earlier. Let us know any added needs or interests. Keep these good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 111,432 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Learn to shoot S,A and M modes, it is not hard or complicated. Get out of the auto mode and take control of the settings. This will allow you control of depth of field and shutter speed. (you could also shoot RAW and make changes in PP such a trying different WB settings (which can give you some pretty cool results) but the whole RAW/JPEG debate is a whole different kettle of fish and a personal decision).

You can also pick up a UWA lens. The Tokina 11-16 is one of the best out right now for dx cameras, but also one of the pricer ones. Sigma has a couple 10-20's which get good reviews as well. (I will be picking one up before my Alaska cruise in sept myself)

Archived