Codeshare ticket

Juliadlf

When we purchased our ticket from USairways for our trip, for the return flights we have a codeshare flight with Luftansa from VCE to FRA and then change to USairways flight from FRA to PHL.

I noticed that we cannot select our seats for the VCE to FRA flight. Do they not allow seat selection and we have to just check in at VCE and then get assigned the seating?

Since we purchased the tickets through USAirways, are we still held to the Luftansa luggage allowance for checked and carry-on?

When we check in at VCE, will they give us the boarding passes for the flights on USAirways from FRA to PHL? I noticed the flight numbers that USAirways provided to us are not listed on the Luftansa website so do they have different flight numbers for the codeshares?

Thanks so much for any information. We have not changed airlines on our flights before so a new experience for us.

Julia

• 2 weeks later...

Lufthansa does not offer seat assignments for many short-haul europe flights. your best bet is to call them directly at 1-800 399-LUFT and inquire about that process. Find out your lufthansa flight number first.

Star carriers can often issue Boarding passes for Star flights, I know LH can issue passes for United, not 100% sure about US. You must follow Lufthansa's baggage policies.

I noticed that we cannot select our seats for the VCE to FRA flight. Do they not allow seat selection and we have to just check in at VCE and then get assigned the seating?

Since we purchased the tickets through USAirways, are we still held to the Luftansa luggage allowance for checked and carry-on?

When we check in at VCE, will they give us the boarding passes for the flights on USAirways from FRA to PHL? I noticed the flight numbers that USAirways provided to us are not listed on the Luftansa website so do they have different flight numbers for the codeshares?

On the assumption that the whole trip was purchased in one go from the US Airways website:-
  1. Most airlines do not have advance seat selection on short-haul flights within Europe, sometimes with exceptions for higher-tier frequent flyers or full-fare ticket holders. This maximises the ability of the airline to allocate seats together to couples and groups.
  2. Your baggage allowance for both flights in each direction should be the more generous trans-Atlantic allowance. In your case, both trans-Atlantic flights are operated by US Airways so it should be that allowance that applies. This is because your connection is a true connection - the sectors on either side of the connecting point are written on the same ticket.
  3. Because LH and US are both members of the Star Alliance, the computers ought to talk to each other enough for both boarding passes to be issued when you check in for the first flight in each direction.
  4. When you have a codeshare flight, the operating airline (LH, in your case) often does not list the other airlines' flight numbers on its own website. But once you get to the airport, the most important flight number is actually the operating carrier's flight number - so it'll be worth your while making a note of that from the LH website before you go. It should be obvious which flight it is, because the departure and arrival times should match.

thank you for the posts.

I did call LH and they said they could check the baggage through to our final destination but that they could not issue the boarding tickets for the connection in Frankfurt since they said they did not have access to USAirways system. I guess we will know for sure when we go to Venice airport for the return home.

At least we know we don't have to pick up the bags and recheck in Frankfurt. Hopefully......

Julia

That surprises me a bit - but it shouldn't be a problem for the bags, anyway, which is the important thing. Many airlines happily through check-bags onto other airlines for whom they can't issue boarding passes, so this situation will be no different.

• 2 weeks later...
That surprises me a bit - but it shouldn't be a problem for the bags, anyway, which is the important thing. Many airlines happily through check-bags onto other airlines for whom they can't issue boarding passes, so this situation will be no different.

US Airways switched to QIK/SHARES from SABRE, it doesn't play nice with the other Star Carriers right now.

Archived