Uber or Lyft from Boston cruise port?

Nabalab

Hi - I will be in Boston this weekend on Anthem, going on a tour of Fenway Park.

Have never used Uber or Lyft before, but I hear from many people that it's pretty easy (and cheaper than a taxi).

Has anyone ever taken an Uber or Lyft from the port on Black Falcon avenue?

If so, where did you have the driver meet you?

Thanks so much!

Have fun at Fenway, from one Red Sox fan to another. I did a tour of Fenway a few years ago, and it was great! I love everything about the park!

As for Uber, I have never used it, but my daughter, who has, encouraged me to register with them, so I would have the app on my phone if I chose to use them. Very easy. Once you register, they have your payment already, so you just order the type of car you need and where you want it to pick you up. Easy, peasy! I probably will use it on our Florida/cruise vacation in January.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you! I'm a Mets fan, so that probably makes me a Red Sox fan by proxy! :)

I know how it works, just wasn't sure where to tell the car to meet me. Since the pier will probably be very busy.

If anything, I'll figure it out. Not worried. Thanks again.

We just got off the ship in Boston and took an Uber to the Boston airport. It cost $15 which was very reasonable. It's easy to use Uber once you set it up on your smart phone. Your phone should automatically show the address you are at and you just put in where you are going to. It only took 4 minutes to get a car for us. They picked us up right where we got off the ship. Employees can show you where to stand.

Elaine

I didn't use Uber until a few weeks ago (don't like/take cabs often) but when I did I loved it. Once you have the app on your phone you can preview it without actually ordering a car. The phone knows your location (assuming you have location turned on in your phone) but if you want to try it out now, you can just enter "Black Falcon Cruise" and it will recognize the location. Then you can put in your destination. Occasionally it will ask you if you want to share a ride (cheaper) or just get your own Uber. It will give you an estimated price (generally pretty accurate in my limited experience, and yes, a little cheaper than cabs) and tell you how long it will be. Do NOT push the "order an Uber" or whatever it's called or you will actually order a car.

I've put in my desired location and destination a few times around the time we dock on days when I know there's at least one cruise ship at Black Falcon and there always seem to be Ubers available. Once you get there and get off the ship, you can actually order the Uber. You probably won't even have to enter your location as the phone GPS will know. Once you order the Uber, you get a confirmation on your phone that someone (with a name and description of car) is coming, and when. You can then see the car coming on your phone via GPS tracking. Don't move around and you should be OK. Pickup should be easy, unless, of course, there are 5 other people calling Ubers at the same time at the same spot, which I guess is possible on a cruise. However, you'lll have a description of the car and first name of driver to help you recognize which car is yours. No need to tip unless you want.

Try Uber; think you'll love it. It's not allowed in Quebec province, Canada (Montreal & Quebec City), but I know that they DO have cars (and it's legal) in other New England places I checked (Newport, I think New York, Portland). Nothing in Bar Harbor, though...and don't know about Nova Scotia or New Brunswick.