Calabria: Future Italy Star? NY Times Spotlight!

TLCOhio

We have done lots in Italy via land and cruise stops over several decades. Saw below this info on this area of southern Italy. Sounds great. Must put on the future to-do listing. For those seeking interesting and different locations, this weekend's New York Times Travel Section will have this headline: "52 Places to Go in 2017" with many different ideas for adventures to be considered for the future.

Here is that one story option and highlight of special interest on Italy: "Calabria: Food in Italy outside the well-traveled regions. Some of the best meals in Italy aren’t found in Rome or Tuscany, but from the southern region of Calabria. The toe of Italy’s boot is making a name for itself in food and wine circles, led by places like Ristorante Dattilo, Ristorante Ruris in Isola Capo Rizzuto and Antonio Abbruzzino in Catanzaro. Known for spicy dishes and much of the world’s supply of bergamot, Calabria is pivoting toward lighter fare, organic farming and wine made from local grapes." It is great to see this area getting this attention.

Among other great places highlighted in this profile are: Botswana, Great Barrier Reef, Stockholm, Portugal, Athens, Thailand, Sedona, Madrid, the Lofoten Island of Norway and Budapest. Some of these locations we have super enjoyed visiting, but there are lots more wonderful places meriting future attention. It's great doing this exploring and considering other interesting locations for the future. Love reading these various stories about nice options to consider!!

Any others been in this area and can share your experiences, loves and tips for here?

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/travel/places-to-visit.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,930 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry

I can't remember if it was last year or the year before, but I did some research on visiting Calabria and didn't get far. There was one direct flight a week from London, which was expensive. I wasn't very impressed on the accommodation available. We weren't restricted to one area as we would have hired a car. I think it is an area that probably is easier to visit from somewhere else.

For example, a few years ago we stayed in a trullo, one of the unique conical houses in Alberobello in Puglia. It was rather touristy, but great after about 6pm when all the day trippers left. From there we visited Matera, famous for 'sassi', the cave houses which were inhabited up to the 50/60s and were called the shame of Italy. In recent years some of them have been converted into luxury hotels.

From Alberobello it's not too far to Calabria and would make a nice land holiday. This part of Italy is a lot cheaper than northern parts.

I think I'll go and check those flights to Calabria again, although a week in the Azores could be in the pipeline.

My memories of driving up a mountain in Calabria with a local acquaintance are of he repeatedly telling my husband to go piano piano; i.e. slowly and carefully. It has become a habit now to tell DH piano piano! The scenery in Calabria was amazing. But last year we stayed in Matera before our cruise as well as in Puglia. I found Matera to be one of the most fascinating places we have ever been. Also enjoyed Puglia and by our standards both of them were cheap.