Air France - LAY FLAT SEATS!

Great news! We are going on the this ship next July. I booked my Air France flights from Los Angeles to learn their 777-200 aircraft have been reconfigured for 2017 with the new cabins. That means amazing pods with lay flat seats (not angled as they currently are) in business and economy plus which is like domestic first. Great news as previously there were no true lay flat seats to Tahiti. Air Tahiti Nui has a business class cabin with angled seats which are just okay.

Great news! We are going on the this ship next July. I booked my Air France flights from Los Angeles to learn their 777-200 aircraft have been reconfigured for 2017 with the new cabins. That means amazing pods with lay flat seats (not angled as they currently are) in business and economy plus which is like domestic first. Great news as previously there were no true lay flat seats to Tahiti. Air Tahiti Nui has a business class cabin with angled seats which are just okay.

And if you are unlucky enough to get the one old ATN plane the business class is horrendous unless you get the front row.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We ended up booking air france simply because there was a price difference of about $400 AFTER figuring the cost of staying two extra nights on the end in Tahiti to make it work. Cheaper flights and more time in Polynesia.... that was a tough decision to make. :p

It is also nice to hear that Air France is better than Air Tahiti as well.

I'm planning on booking these next week for our trip in October. But have you confirmed that the specific planes LAX-PPT (or from Paris perhaps) are the lay-flat ones? They have several different configurations on seatguru.com and I couldn't figure out whether our particular flight has them.

If you've actually confirmed that this is what they're flying on that route, I'd be a very happy camper. Planning on Biz outbound, and PE back, since it's day flight.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I'm planning on booking these next week for our trip in October. But have you confirmed that the specific planes LAX-PPT (or from Paris perhaps) are the lay-flat ones? They have several different configurations on seatguru.com and I couldn't figure out whether our particular flight has them.

If you've actually confirmed that this is what they're flying on that route, I'd be a very happy camper. Planning on Biz outbound, and PE back, since it's day flight.

Hello- we booked our business class seats on AF 076 and AF 077 next september and confirmed they are all lay flat. here is the seat guru config.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_France/Air_France_Boeing_777-200_C.php

It certainly made us very happy campers :-)

Hello- we booked our business class seats on AF 076 and AF 077 next september and confirmed they are all lay flat. here is the seat guru config.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_France/Air_France_Boeing_777-200_C.php

It certainly made us very happy campers :-)

And did you have to call AF to confirm this? I couldn't tell from the booking website, since the seat selection widget seems to have a generic picture. Although I can see that the 1-2-1 configuration certainly appears to be the flatbed version.

And did you have to call AF to confirm this? I couldn't tell from the booking website, since the seat selection widget seems to have a generic picture. Although I can see that the 1-2-1 configuration certainly appears to be the flatbed version.

Wendy as you probably know regardless of what AF says or what the configuration is when you book your seats anything can happen on the day. Colin was booked in Biz to Zurich only to be told that they had changed the aircraft to all economy and were not going to refund his money for the downgrade.

Wendy as you probably know regardless of what AF says or what the configuration is when you book your seats anything can happen on the day. Colin was booked in Biz to Zurich only to be told that they had changed the aircraft to all economy and were not going to refund his money for the downgrade.

Wow how in the world can they get away with not offering any compensation? That seems to be the quickest way to prevent any customer loyalty!

I confirmed with Air France on Twitter and Facebook via direct message that they "plan to" use the lay flat biz seat configuration for our flights next September however we are aware that sometimes "sh*t happens" and that might change. We still feel like this is a better chance worth taking than flying in biz on ATN with their biz cabin/angle seats and possibility of the one not as of yet upgraded plane.

Wow how in the world can they get away with not offering any compensation? That seems to be the quickest way to prevent any customer loyalty!

I confirmed with Air France on Twitter and Facebook via direct message that they "plan to" use the lay flat biz seat configuration for our flights next September however we are aware that sometimes "sh*t happens" and that might change. We still feel like this is a better chance worth taking than flying in biz on ATN with their biz cabin/angle seats and possibility of the one not as of yet upgraded plane.

We too have booked the AF Biz flight. The new upgrades were announced in Tahiti by AF.

In my husbands case he caused enough of a problem that they put him on another carrier. Wasn't a direct flight though. He came to know of this on the day of his flight but what about those who were confronted with this at the airport.

Of course weather and other circumstances do cause issues. Last year my DD was downgraded from First Class to Business Class when flying from Bangkok home as her routing had to be changed due to a storm. She had to be back to work so no option.

Thanks, yes of course, there's always that risk. But worth it I think. Going to book next week (after my next credit card cycle closes.)

I asked David if he cared that much--I can't sleep, even with "lie flat" it seems, and he said, "yes", it matters! But flying Business is still a wonderful treat, even if you end of "angled".

Thanks, yes of course, there's always that risk. But worth it I think. Going to book next week (after my next credit card cycle closes.)

I asked David if he cared that much--I can't sleep, even with "lie flat" it seems, and he said, "yes", it matters! But flying Business is still a wonderful treat, even if you end of "angled".

Wendy, I medicate myself. Don't drink and eat the minimum. This makes the long flights doable when there is flatbed.

Wendy, I medicate myself. Don't drink and eat the minimum. This makes the long flights doable when there is flatbed.

Nothing works for me. I won't take sleeping pills, but I've taken muscle relaxants and gotten maybe an hour. Maybe this time it will work, who knows. Having a glass of wine usually helps me.

Nothing works for me. I won't take sleeping pills, but I've taken muscle relaxants and gotten maybe an hour. Maybe this time it will work, who knows. Having a glass of wine usually helps me.

I usually take a Valium. But no alcohol with it. They say liquor is not good when flying.

Have you tried any over the counter sleep aids?

No I haven't. I only use this for the two or three long overnight flights I do each year. I find it particularly helpful on the 15 hour plus flights to the Far East.

After about 6 hours I feel very relaxed but not too sleepy. It puts me into a nice somnolent state.

How about Xanax or generic equivalent? I know folks who swear by it.

Another serious prescription drug that I wouldn't consider for a bit of mere sleep deprivation.

I guess fellow posters must have detected a theme here. I take prescription drugs every day for particular conditions, but I try to minimize the drugs that I take, and definitely want to avoid anti-psychotics, anti-depressants and other drugs that have addictive properties.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I have taken the med for two or three long overnight flights each year for the last 9 years since I returned from South Africa on a very long flight and the people next to me used ambien.

I don't think I am addicted at all. Never use them under any circumstances at home and also shy from products that have codeine. If I had to extend my use I could get addicted but frankly the thought of taking something for a sleepless nightst home has never occurred. If I have poor sleep one night I know that the next night will be usually better!

I don't think it's possible to get addicted with such irregular and limited use.

I have taken the med for two or three long overnight flights each year for the last 9 years since I returned from South Africa on a very long flight and the people next to me used ambien.

I don't think I am addicted at all. Never use them under any circumstances at home and also shy from products that have codeine. If I had to extend my use I could get addicted but frankly the thought of taking something for a sleepless nightst home has never occurred. If I have poor sleep one night I know that the next night will be usually better!

I don't think it's possible to get addicted with such irregular and limited use.

I wasn't suggesting that you were addicted to anything, sorry if you took it that way.

I wasn't suggesting that you were addicted to anything, sorry if you took it that way.

No I know you weren't suggesting that but you felt that these meds were addictive.

My contention is if you don't take them often they are not addictive. I just limit my use to long night flights!

No I know you weren't suggesting that but you felt that these meds were addictive.

My contention is if you don't take them often they are not addictive. I just limit my use to long night flights!

Of course not. But I'd feel funny going to my doctor and asking for a prescription for a couple of flights. And then, I'd have to try the drug out first to see what effect it had on me. No matter, I really don't feel like going down that road.