Beach Wheelchairs

QuickieGlenn

I have been in a chair for almost 25 years and was wondering about using a beach wheelchair in the islands. I have not been in the ocean in a long time and was wondering if you can push them right into the water? and do they float and how difficult is it to get back into it. I am a big guy and do not like people trying to lift me

I have been in a chair for almost 25 years and was wondering about using a beach wheelchair in the islands. I have not been in the ocean in a long time and was wondering if you can push them right into the water? and do they float and how difficult is it to get back into it. I am a big guy and do not like people trying to lift me

Have not personally used one. Most cruise lines have a very limited supply of beach wheelchairs for use on its private island. Depending on how many ships are at the private island that day determines if it can be left with you or if the cruise staff will only transport the passenger onto the sandy beach for transfer to a lounge chair to come back and pick you up later.

The cruise line beach wheelchair are the basic model. Has big balloon type air-filled wheels and the chair will float if you get to far out or you get out of it and someone is not holding onto it. The chair can only be operated by someone having to push it. You will not be able to maneuver the chair yourself whether it be on the sandy beach or in the water. Being that it's the basic model beach wheelchair the weight capacity on average is 300 -350 lbs.

This link contains a video that you may be interested in viewing

Edited by xxoocruiser

My wife has been in the chair for 25 years also. She loved the beach wheelchair at Half Moon Cay. She loves to swim and rarely gets to swim in the ocean. I was able to push her chair part way into the water. You need to be able to stand in knee deep water to get back into the wheelchair by yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

I hate beach wheelchairs! Partly it's not being able to self-propel, but I never feel entirely safe in them - also find them incredibly hard to transfer in/out of, even being able to do a standing transfer. But yes, most can be pushed into the water and most float.

• 5 weeks later...