Civitavecchia

Tarquinia is a great visit, a world heritage site.

You can get a local "blue line" service bus from Civitavecchia opposite the cathedral in the Main Street, takes about 20 minutes.

You get tickets in advance from a wee shop in a small square - I posted details some months ago, I'll need to rewind and see if I can find details.

Not the tobacconist near MacDonalds as some erroneous sources quote.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Found the details.

The small shop that sells Cortel line blue bus tickets for Tarquinia is called WORLD SCHOOL and underneath is CARTOLERIA, which must mean a card/stationery type outlet.

In the Piazza Calamatta on the main drag into town, the SS1 road, as you walk into Civitavecchia from the shuttle bus station.

Tickets were 1.30 Euro (2015) you need two, there are no returns sold.

The shop may close for lunchtime.

Google map of the town will show location of the piazza.

If you need a supermarket, look for TODIS on the Via Isonzo which is one of the streets radiating off from a roundabout near the shuttle bus station.

There is a petrol station on the left as you look up this street - the supermarket is same side further along.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

I've traced back for some useful specific information.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1056428-d246608-r304614702-Chiesa_di_San_Pancrazio-Tarquinia_Province_of_Viterbo_Lazio.html

First post by Andy R of South Shields - click on image at lower left, that is the small shop in the Piazza Calamatta that sells the bus tickets for the Cotral (blue) buses from Civitavecchia to Tarquinia.

We could not get a return, it was two singles for the roundtrip.

The tobacconist in the town centre does NOT have these tickets and has a sign at the entrance to that effect - and you can't buy them from the driver either.

http://www.cotralspa.it/lang/

They are still working on timetables in English - unless your Italian can cope !!!

Edited by WeeCountyMan
links

From where you are dropped off the shuttle bus, walk into Civitavecchia on the main drag (also designated road SS1) - Piazza Calamatta is on your left.

I suspect the wee shop closes for lunch, so best to get tickets asap.

The directions on Andy's tripadvisor thread start from the cathedral which is further along this street heading into town.

The bus stop for Tarquinia is on the opposite side of the street from this catherdral of St. Francis of Assisi.

Tickets are validated by a self service machine on the bus.

There is a small tourist information office in Tarquinia just where you get off the bus - you can check return times there.

The timetable is quite "elastic" according to the locals !!!