Oceanview stateroom for 5

njseawee

I've been researching 4 night DCL cruises leaving from Port Canaveral or Miami and from what I'm seeing, it looks like there are oceanview staterooms (without verandahs) that sleep 5 people. However, whenever I do a search, the only option I'm given for 5 people is the stateroom with verandah. I'm hoping to save as much money as I can so we can actually take our first Disney cruise. Are there any tips to booking the regular oceanview stateroom for 5? I did notice it's only available on the Dream or the Fantasy. Thanks!

I've been researching 4 night DCL cruises leaving from Port Canaveral or Miami and from what I'm seeing, it looks like there are oceanview staterooms (without verandahs) that sleep 5 people. However, whenever I do a search, the only option I'm given for 5 people is the stateroom with verandah. I'm hoping to save as much money as I can so we can actually take our first Disney cruise. Are there any tips to booking the regular oceanview stateroom for 5? I did notice it's only available on the Dream or the Fantasy. Thanks!

The Wonder and Magic Oceanview rooms only sleep up to 4 (some only 3)

The Dream and Fantasy Deluxe FAMILY Oceanview rooms can sleep up to 5 (some of them, not all).

If you are searching the Dream & Fantasy and putting in that you need a room for 5, the website will only show you rooms that are available that sleep 5.

I might suggest you also check adjoining or connecting rooms (as in getting 2 rooms). Sometimes that can actually be cheaper than booking a single 5 person room.

Edited by Shmoo here

Above is correct--to get a stateroom on the Magic/Wonder that sleeps 5, you must go up to a cat 4. All other non-concierge categories sleep 3 or 4.

It seems that DCL realized this was a problem, so on the Dream and Fantasy, they have cabins oceanview cabins that sleep 5.

DCL code for a room that sleeps 5 is "Family" as in "Family Oceanview" or "Family Verandah."

Thanks to both of you for the info. I kind of figured that if I didn't see them the rooms had been sold out but I guess I was hoping that there was some secret way to get access to them that I didn't know about :rolleyes:

I might suggest you also check adjoining or connecting rooms (as in getting 2 rooms). Sometimes that can actually be cheaper than booking a single 5 person room.

I have heard that doing the two adjoining interior rooms could be a cheaper option; I will check into that. Is there a way of knowing on the deck plans which rooms adjoin?

Also, if we do decide to go with the verandah room, is there a latch at the top that children can't reach? I'm a bit nervous since our little ones (6, 3 & 3) are good climbers and I'm a bit of a worrier :)

Also, if we do decide to go with the verandah room, is there a latch at the top that children can't reach? I'm a bit nervous since our little ones (6, 3 & 3) are good climbers and I'm a bit of a worrier :)

There is a latch which is shoulder high on me (a 5'6" adult). There is a second latch on the door handle. The doors to the balcony are VERY heavy. I don't see how a kid could open the latches, but if they could it would take a very strong child to open the door (as in I've cruised with an older adult who couldn't do it.)

The balcony is enclosed to a height of about 40 inches. Depending on the balcony type, the enclosure is plexiglass or solid metal, but there is no place for a child to get a foothold to climb. The ONLY way a kid could go over would be to somehow get out the door from the cabin and then move a piece or furniture over to the railing and climb up. If it helps, DCL has been cruising since 1998 and NO kid has ever gone overboard with the exception of a teen who did it intentionally while the ship was in port....and he did it from an area on deck 4 which has now been closed off. There have been literally thousands of parents who have worried about it though.:)

Thank goodness I came across this. We cruise next Sunday on the dream and I have a 5 year old who also climbs. Glad to see the doors are tough to open!

Yes, I have to say that set my mind at ease too. Thanks, moki'smommy!