Wild Animal Park or the Zoo..what to do what to?

lucywestie

The post-cruise hotels are booked, the car hire is arranged, the hot air ballooning is a go, Now we are just wondering on the minor details. So for any San Diegans out there, which do you prefer and why, the Wild Animal Park or the Zoo?

We just went to Toronto Zoo this past weekend and its certainly showing its age. I know the San Diego Zoo is world famous and thus probably has lots of money pumped into it to keep it looking great. Would we be getting more bang for our buck by going to the zoo rather than the park?

We initially thought we would be doing the park as we were heading of the city on our first day to go up to our hotel in Lake Elsinore. But now I am reconsidering what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly received!

Cheers

Pete:)

I would recommend the Zoo. You can see many more animals, lovely plants, and you are in the heart of Balboa Park. Take the bus tour, then walk back to those things you really want to see, or which are not included in the bus tour. Plan on most of the day to really see our lovely zoo. While there are a few older areas, we have a lot of new areas due to major donations (Kroc family...McDonalds esp.). The new Heart of the Zoo is very nice. I love Tiger River, but my favorite is the polar bears (which you can get to most easily on the Skyfari ride). Visit the Children's Zoo section too, and you should be able to see our newest baby panda (the 4th birth here) as well.

The Wild Animal Park has had a major change this year. No more monorail, and while I have not been there yet since the change, I have heard major complaints about the new tram tours which show you much less and are not very comfortable. There is a lot more walking here for fewer animals too.

Having been to both the Toronto Zoo and San Diego Zoo in the last 18 months, I would say do the Wild Animal Park. Yes, fewer animals, but you just saw them in TO, why see them again? There are many similarities between the two zoos. Go do something different.

If you have an issue with walking, neither location is good. Plenty of up and down steep inclines at the SD Zoo. More open space and significantly warmer at the Park. Just keep the disparity in mind that it is not a full-fledged zoo and that you will not see the variety of creatures. I have enjoyed all three of my visits to the Park.

But, that's just me.

Ken

The post-cruise hotels are booked, the car hire is arranged, the hot air ballooning is a go, Now we are just wondering on the minor details. So for any San Diegans out there, which do you prefer and why, the Wild Animal Park or the Zoo?

We just went to Toronto Zoo this past weekend and its certainly showing its age. I know the San Diego Zoo is world famous and thus probably has lots of money pumped into it to keep it looking great. Would we be getting more bang for our buck by going to the zoo rather than the park?

We initially thought we would be doing the park as we were heading of the city on our first day to go up to our hotel in Lake Elsinore. But now I am reconsidering what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly received!

Cheers

You did not say time of year, the animal park can be 25 plus degrees warmer in summer and fall then the zoo.

Have Fun

If you are staying in Lake Elsinore you are 1 1/2 + hrs. away from the San Diego zoo depending on traffic. Are you cruising out of San Diego? Are you hot air balloning in Del Mar or Temecula? Just wanted to give you an idea of your miles and time from your different activities. Have a great trip!:)

Thanks for the advice. We are hot air ballooning out of Temecula and we had looked for a reasonably priced hotel in that area. Got a room at the new Best Western in Lake Elsinore for just one night as we have an early start for the ballooning the next day. We are staying in San Diego the last two night before flying home. We like to drive so the distance/time etc isnt really an issue as we are going to be doing lots of driving/touring while we are there. Sort of using this cruise as a taster of what California has to offer before planning a bigger and longer driving holiday in the next year or so. We had always wanted to fly to Vegas. Then drive in sort of a large triangle to San Francisco [stopping at national parks etc along the way], Monterey Bay Aquarium, down through L.A and on to San Diego before making our way back to Vegas. We love road trips etc.

Still can't quite make up our minds about the Zoo though. Part of me suggests getting out of the city early in the day and heading to the WAP and then tour the area around Temecula and Lake Elsinore before checking in. That way we will be out of the city before rush hour kicks in. We live just outside Toronto,Ont and they say the 401 is the busiest highway in North America [4 million cars a day] and I know what that can be like during rush hour!

Sounds like a great trip!! We like road trips too. There are some great wineries in Temecula to see after the balloon ride. My son and I volunteer at the Balloon and Wine festival in the springtime, lots of fun. Have a great trip, we would like to see your part of the country sometime.

Archived