Limited time Copenhagen

We are planning our 2013 Baltic adventure. We hope to arrive in Copenhagen around 1:00 pm on Sunday, June 2 from Manchester, UK (where we will have visited family) and use the Princess hotel package (transfers and Radisson Blu). Our cruise departs on Monday, June 3.

We would like to visit Nyhaven and take a canal cruise. Would you please advise on how to do do this and/or maximise the use of our time? Thanks.:)

We are planning our 2013 Baltic adventure. We hope to arrive in Copenhagen around 1:00 pm on Sunday, June 2 from Manchester, UK (where we will have visited family) and use the Princess hotel package (transfers and Radisson Blu). Our cruise departs on Monday, June 3.

We would like to visit Nyhaven and take a canal cruise. Would you please advise on how to do do this and/or maximise the use of our time? Thanks.:)

I would walk down to the canal and see when the next tour leaves. It will always be within an hour, and of course you could be lucky and it be only a few minutes. There are worse places than that area to have to kill time. Get back to the boat about 10 minutes before the off. In 2010 there were 2 firms doing it - one was quite a bit more expensive but either way it is still very good value. The tour lasts 50-55 minutes and shows at the start of this

All the best, Tony

I would walk down to the canal and see when the next tour leaves. It will always be within an hour, and of course you could be lucky and it be only a few minutes. There are worse places than that area to have to kill time. Get back to the boat about 10 minutes before the off. In 2010 there were 2 firms doing it - one was quite a bit more expensive but either way it is still very good value. The tour lasts 50-55 minutes and shows at the start of this

All the best, Tony

Thanks Tony> Looks as though it is about a 30 minute walk from the Radisson Blu Royal to Nyhvn--or am I way off?:confused:

Thanks Tony> Looks as though it is about a 30 minute walk from the Radisson Blu Royal to Nyhvn--or am I way off?:confused:

I'm afraid I don't know about that, but if you need certainty of the time of your canal tour you can book a specified time (on the hour) at the excellent tourist information office (from memory very near the train station). We did that so we knew we were on the 1 pm tour, and it was the more expensive of the 2 (70 DKK v 40 DKK) Tbh I didn't know about the cheaper one when I did that but even 70 was fine for a very enjoyable hour with a knowledgeable narrator throughout.

The Royal is located at one end of Strøget and Nyhavn where both canal tours starts from are located on the other end.

The Pedestrian street Strøget is about 1 mile long and you have to walk around 300 meters to get to Strøget from your hotel so about 30 minutes sounds about right.

We checked out both canal tours while in Copenhagen (they are docked rather close to each other) and took the expensive one (Canal Tours) because we decided we liked the boat better and they took credit cards. The cheaper one (Netto) was cash only when we enquired. The difference in price was 70 DKK vs. 40 DKK a difference of about $5. At the time (mid-May), they ran every 30 mins but I believe they go more often in the summer.

Sue

We checked out both canal tours while in Copenhagen (they are docked rather close to each other) and took the expensive one (Canal Tours) because we decided we liked the boat better and they took credit cards. The cheaper one (Netto) was cash only when we enquired. The difference in price was 70 DKK vs. 40 DKK a difference of about $5. At the time (mid-May), they ran every 30 mins but I believe they go more often in the summer.

Sue

Thanks--I was thinking the same thing after checking out both boats. Much will depend on the weather also. Do you know how late they run in early June?

Thanks--I was thinking the same thing after checking out both boats. Much will depend on the weather also. Do you know how late they run in early June?

Their website says they run between 9:30 and 6:00, then until 8:00 after June 15.

Sue

Sue

Did you like the boat tour? Where did you go? Do both companies go to the same places? Did you need to make a reservation beforehand or just show up? Thanks.

@ Alaskanb

Here is a list of restaurants in Nyhavn, i do not normally eat there so i can´t recommend one from another.

http://www.aok.dk/soeg#what:Restaurant%20og%20caf%C3%A9;where::Indre%20By;query:nyhavn

There is a place at the nearby central station where you can get your pastries and coffee, its located at the Tivoli exit at the central station.

Did you like the boat tour? Where did you go? Do both companies go to the same places? Did you need to make a reservation beforehand or just show up? Thanks.

Yes we did enjoy it, it was a beautiful day and we got some nice pictures. We walked from our ship to Nyhavn and then on to Tivoli Gardens, the boat ride was a nice relaxing break in the middle and we got to see more of the city that way. We rode up to the Little Mermaid and back and then through two canals, the Christianshavns Canal, and the Slotsholmen. (I think both companies do the same route.) They also offer a hop-on/hop-off option for a bit more money - if you have more time in Copenhagen than we did, you could consider that, but it didn't make sense for us.

We just showed up and hung around for the next departure. The boat accommodated a lot of people.

Sue

Archived