How far ship to outside of port? NHa Trang

GrandmaHofmann

We went to Nha Trang on the Volendam a couple off years ago and it was a very short walk to the entrance of the port.

They had few market stalls on the dock and we walked a couple of hundred metres if that to the entrance.

The company we have selected as guides says they can either pick us inside the port (for an extra $25 each) or on the outside of the port. Can anyone tell me how far it is from the ship to the outside of the port? Thank you

Hiya Grandma! I think we are on the same roll call! In the time I've had to read here as well as Trip Advisor, it sounds like the walk to the "gate" from the pier is about 15-20 (if you walk slower). Tour companies that DON'T pick you up at the ship probably are not the professional private tour companies and some of those tours charge almost as much as the ones that actually pay fee's in order to pick you up right at the ship....

There are quite a few of members on our roll call who are booked with Nha Trang (I'm going to be with the smaller group of about 16, but for $10 less there is a larger group of 30-40 people that has started also).

Here is the way it was explained to me regarding fee's.... :)

"The permit to pick tourists up at the port is compulsay to the company if tourists want to be safe and legal . But this tourist was tricked by a company with the cost 25USD/person for port fees. It's unacceptable. I pay the ship partner and charge all tourists only 20USD/person for port fees and It is includes in the tour. A tourist company can charge tourists at high price but they should tell the truth to tourists about the port fee cost.

Best regards

Dung Pham

www.nhatrangrivertour.com "

The company we have selected as guides says they can either pick us inside the port (for an extra $25 each) or on the outside of the port. Can anyone tell me how far it is from the ship to the outside of the port? Thank you

Hey,

We sailed on the Legend in June 2011 and did a private tour at Nha Trang.

The walk is very very close. 2 min. normal walk, 5 min. MAX if you walk like a snail. Save the money, walk out to the port gate.

Take note, walk is unsheltered. Bring umbrellas if the weather doesn't look good.

Find a way to be able to conclusively identify your pick-up. There are many men hanging around, touting their cab services.

In our case, we got a photo of the guide. Also asked him a few questions when he approached us to make absolutely sure he was the right guy.

Oh, i checked with my dear wife.

She told me that we sent a photo of us to the tour operator so that he could recognize us. Similarly, he sent us a photo of the guide who would be picking us up.

He told us to walk out of the port, turn right and wait just outside a small maritime museum. It was a shaded place. We waited for about 10 min.

20iho1w.jpg

250v9li.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Hey,

We sailed on the Legend in June 2011 and did a private tour at Nha Trang.

The walk is very very close. 2 min. normal walk, 5 min. MAX if you walk like a snail. Save the money, walk out to the port gate.

Take note, walk is unsheltered. Bring umbrellas if the weather doesn't look good.

Find a way to be able to conclusively identify your pick-up. There are many men hanging around, touting their cab services.

In our case, we got a photo of the guide. Also asked him a few questions when he approached us to make absolutely sure he was the right guy.

I totally agree that it is a very short walk and you shouldn't pay for it.

It would be a good idea to have a way of identifyng your pick up person as there are taxi's touting for business just outside the gate.

I totally agree that it is a very short walk and you shouldn't pay for it.

It would be a good idea to have a way of identifyng your pick up person as there are taxi's touting for business just outside the gate.

Yeah. Many touts.

We were a bit scared at first, because we had 2 kids under 6.

But there were 4 adults, so looking after the 2 kids was ok. I went to scout around for the pick-up while the other 3 adults and 2 kids sat together as a group.

The walk is very very close. 2 min. normal walk, 5 min. MAX if you walk like a snail. Save the money, walk out to the port gate. .

Awwww SHOOT!

Sorry folks! I pulled a "My bad!"

I was posting info for 'PHU MY' port, not Nha Trang.... Phu My is where the long walk to the gate is.

Once again, sorry for the incorrect info.

sorry.gifJudi :)

This is a tour company. They gave us the choice of walking out and saving $50 or having them pick us up. I'd rather save the $50 and spent it elsewhere on the trip. but I wanted to know how far it was down that pier. Thank you for your input all of you!

We really want to go alone. They have quoted us $78 for the two us alone in an AC car. Going to the Buddha, the market, the beach, and the Cham Towers, which is all we wanted to do. Half a day tour for $78. Another company wanted nearly $200 to see the same things and stretch it out to eight hours. We didn't think that was necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

:)

Hi folks,

we are travelling to Nha Trang in March 2012. Do you have any links to private tour companies? Are there any experiences with them?

Regards

klyd

We just returned from Singapore to Hong Kong on the Zaandam. In Nha Trang we (4 of us) had a private tour thru Jungle Travel (www.vietnamjungletravl.com). Our guide was Thieu Quang Duy, part of a family that owns this business. We took a taxi (he told us which taxi co. to use) from the port to the office (about $6) and from there we went in a nice A/C car with driver and guide. We stopped at Church on the Mountain, Long Son Pagoda (huge sitting buddha and also a large reclining buddha, stops at small home family businesses in outlying areas where they made woven mats, rice paper, rice noodles, and con-shaped hats. Next a stop at a typical vietnamese house followed by a ride on the river back towards town, a feast of a lunch at a riverside restaurant, and then to the Cham towers. Final stop at silk embroidery workshop. We had a wonderful day, felt the price was quite reasonable, loved our guide and would love to see more people use this small business. They aim to please. Goldeng

Edited by goldeng
add date written

• 5 years later...

About 3 km. Can take local bus #4 for 7 dong. The #4 takes you to all tourist spots.

If you want to have a beach day you can get off at Sailing Club or Central Park. Chairs with umbrellas rent for between 35000 dong to 150000 dong. You can buy lunch on the beach easily spend the whole day in comfort.