Escape - Studio Experince

Even_keel

I LOVED my Studio cabin on the Norwegian Escape and the studio lounge too. I did not feel cramped in the cabin. At first, I panicked about where I was going to put all my things when I unpacked, but I found that there was plenty of built-in space. There were plenty of different lighting options to make up for no natural light. I slept like a baby every night since it was rather dark (there are a couple of small blue lights and the phone that stay on all the time so that you won't be totally in the dark if you wake up).

I also loved the Studio lounge. Only place to get a decent coffee on the boat and so close by. They also had pastries and such, ice water and juice...all part of the food package with no extra charge. There was a wine machine with a charge of $7.95 per glass and not on the UBP. The location of the lounge is far, far more convenient than going to 16 for a beverage.

We met at 6 p.m. to hear about the plans for the evening if we wanted to participate. The social director could get us in past the lines in the dining room and with the same privileges for seating as the Haven guests in shows (i.e., first couple of rows). I met about 20 great people through the program.

I can't say enough good about it! I'd go again in a heartbeat!

I echo your comments on the Studio cabins and the entire solo traveler experience on the Escape. I just got off the ship this morning. Jesy was our solo traveler host. He did a great job organizing and getting us dinner and show reservations. I can't say enough great things about the solo program on the Escape!

I'm considering my first solo cruise in a studio next January on the escape and I'm really glad to hear everyone has had a good experience.

I've been looking at the studio's and it seems there are many with adjoining doors. As my first solo cruise that seems a tad creepy! Anyone experience one of those cabins? It looks like the lounge is well stocked with coffee and goodies .. True? Would be nice to grab a coffee and pastry early and go back to the cabin to get ready for the day.

From reading reviews, I know there is a host that will make reservations for dinner for anyone that wants a table .. Does that include the main dining rooms? Also, if you just walk up to one of the main dining rooms can you join a table? I don't want to eat alone in the main dining room at night.

Also, does NCL allow you to bring a bottle on wine on board? I'm use to sailing Princess and you are allowed one bottle per person.

My tentative plan is to do a back to back the end of Jan. 2017. First week take the $50 for shore excursions and the second week do the drink package.

Any other tips on sailing solo on the Escape would be greatly appreciated.

Debr

I'm considering my first solo cruise in a studio next January on the escape and I'm really glad to hear everyone has had a good experience.

I've been looking at the studio's and it seems there are many with adjoining doors. As my first solo cruise that seems a tad creepy! Anyone experience one of those cabins? It looks like the lounge is well stocked with coffee and goodies .. True? Would be nice to grab a coffee and pastry early and go back to the cabin to get ready for the day.

From reading reviews, I know there is a host that will make reservations for dinner for anyone that wants a table .. Does that include the main dining rooms? Also, if you just walk up to one of the main dining rooms can you join a table? I don't want to eat alone in the main dining room at night.

Also, does NCL allow you to bring a bottle on wine on board? I'm use to sailing Princess and you are allowed one bottle per person.

My tentative plan is to do a back to back the end of Jan. 2017. First week take the $50 for shore excursions and the second week do the drink package.

Any other tips on sailing solo on the Escape would be greatly appreciated.

Debr

Some of the studio cabins have adjoining doors. It's just like in a hotel room where each side has a door and each stateroom occupant would have to open the door. I was traveling with a friend who had a studio cabin so we got connecting staterooms. There were times where we kept the doors closed and you couldn't hear anything from the other room. If you're concerned you can request a stateroom that is not adjoining. Personally, it wouldn't bother me either way as they did a great job in soundproofing the staterooms.

In terms of the studio lounge, it has a coffee machine that makes espresso, lattes, and cappuccinos. There is also water and juice available. In the morning there are pastries and fruit. In the afternoon/evenings, cookies and pound cake are available and it is kept well stocked and replenished throughout the day.

There is a solo travelers meeting each day (it was at 6:00pm on my recent cruise--check the freestyle daily for time). The solo host will see how many people want to eat dinner together and will call and get a table in one of the main dining rooms. The solo host will also make reservations for the shows for anyone in the group interested.

My one tip for traveling solo on the Escape is to connect with the Solo travelers meeting each day and go to dinner/shows with other fellow solos. I formed some great friendships with fellow solo travelers on this cruise!

You can bring a bottle of wine onboard, but there is a corkage fee. To my surprise, the solo travelers dining together were treated to free wine twice during dinner on my cruise. I feel NCL is focusing on the the solo travelers experience. I have nothing but good things to say about the Solo traveling experience on the Escape.

Some of the studio cabins have adjoining doors. It's just like in a hotel room where each side has a door and each stateroom occupant would have to open the door. I was traveling with a friend who had a studio cabin so we got connecting staterooms. There were times where we kept the doors closed and you couldn't hear anything from the other room. If you're concerned you can request a stateroom that is not adjoining. Personally, it wouldn't bother me either way as they did a great job in soundproofing the staterooms.

In terms of the studio lounge, it has a coffee machine that makes espresso, lattes, and cappuccinos. There is also water and juice available. In the morning there are pastries and fruit. In the afternoon/evenings, cookies and pound cake are available and it is kept well stocked and replenished throughout the day.

There is a solo travelers meeting each day (it was at 6:00pm on my recent cruise--check the freestyle daily for time). The solo host will see how many people want to eat dinner together and will call and get a table in one of the main dining rooms. The solo host will also make reservations for the shows for anyone in the group interested.

My one tip for traveling solo on the Escape is to connect with the Solo travelers meeting each day and go to dinner/shows with other fellow solos. I formed some great friendships with fellow solo travelers on this cruise!

You can bring a bottle of wine onboard, but there is a corkage fee. To my surprise, the solo travelers dining together were treated to free wine twice during dinner on my cruise. I feel NCL is focusing on the the solo travelers experience. I have nothing but good things to say about the Solo traveling experience on the Escape.

Thank you for all the info. on the studio cabins, they sound great and it sounds like NCL recognizes solo travelers, unlike Princess. I love Princess, but not the prices they charge for solo, so it's time to branch out a little!

Any other tips on the Escape or NCL, it would be greatly appreciated. I've spent the last couple weeks reading the NCL board and all the escape roll calls. I've been cruising with Princess since 2004 and each line does things a little different. So, there is a learning curve for each line.

Debr

NCL is definately the best line for solo cruisers, especially those cruising solo for the first time. One thing I do like better on Princess is they ask you at the MDR if you would like to share a table. Its such an easy, simple thing.....I wish NCL would do it. That would help solos with breakfast and lunch dining.

To check prices of nonstudio cabins with a low single supplement, go to cruiseplum.com.

Edited by mrobstad

NCL is definately the best line for solo cruisers, especially those cruising solo for the first time. One thing I do like better on Princess is they ask you at the MDR if you would like to share a table. Its such an easy, simple thing.....I wish NCL would do it. That would help solos with breakfast and lunch dining.

To check prices of nonstudio cabins with a low single supplement, go to cruiseplum.com.

Thank you, I have been checking cruise plum.

So, if you walk up to the dining room and ask to sit with others, that's not an option? I have no problem eating breakfast and lunch alone, but I prefer to eat in the dining room for dinner, but not alone.

Debr

Thank you, I have been checking cruise plum.

So, if you walk up to the dining room and ask to sit with others, that's not an option? I have no problem eating breakfast and lunch alone, but I prefer to eat in the dining room for dinner, but not alone.

Debr

You absolutely can ask but from what others have reported it isn't successful every time and you might be seated but end up alone for the complete meal anyway. I never ask because I prefer to dine with people I already know very good or by myself. When the Epic, NCLs first ship with studio cabins, was new I remember that the MDR hostess asked every night if I want to share a table and I had to decline every time which was annoying. I guess many people felt like I did and mentioned it because after a while it stopped and I can't remember one cruise in the last two or three years where I was ever asked that question again.

You absolutely can ask but from what others have reported it isn't successful every time and you might be seated but end up alone for the complete meal anyway. I never ask because I prefer to dine with people I already know very good or by myself. When the Epic, NCLs first ship with studio cabins, was new I remember that the MDR hostess asked every night if I want to share a table and I had to decline every time which was annoying. I guess many people felt like I did and mentioned it because after a while it stopped and I can't remember one cruise in the last two or three years where I was ever asked that question again.

Sorry to hear thar news.

Debr

Yes, NCL never asks, and when you ask, they tell you people dont want to sit with strangers.

Princess always asks. About 20% of the people seemed to say no thanks. That leaves 80% new friends and acquaintances.

All im saying, NCL, is just ask!!!!!!!!!

• 4 months later...

I had a studio on the Escape in January and loved it. Technically, I wasn't a true solo since I was meeting up with other people as part of a larger group but I checked out the whole solo studio experience and what it would be like to do it truly as a solo without knowing anyone on board beforehand.

I ended up booking a studio for my upcoming Mediterranean cruise. I'm really excited about the experience. I tend to be an introvert but I'm not anti-social. I like the idea of having a space for solos to meet up and make plans together (or not). I also like that there will be a dedicated staff member to the solos. I'm a little more nervous about this upcoming cruise because there are so many more elements but I'm really excited about it. I'm pretty confident NCL will continue to get my business because of those studio cabins. It's pretty genius.

I had a studio on the Escape in January and loved it. Technically, I wasn't a true solo since I was meeting up with other people as part of a larger group but I checked out the whole solo studio experience and what it would be like to do it truly as a solo without knowing anyone on board beforehand.

I ended up booking a studio for my upcoming Mediterranean cruise. I'm really excited about the experience. I tend to be an introvert but I'm not anti-social. I like the idea of having a space for solos to meet up and make plans together (or not). I also like that there will be a dedicated staff member to the solos. I'm a little more nervous about this upcoming cruise because there are so many more elements but I'm really excited about it. I'm pretty confident NCL will continue to get my business because of those studio cabins. It's pretty genius.

Keep in mind, a Med cruise involves a lot of planning....go to your roll call and sign up for tours with others beforehand....if you wait for the studio lounge, youll miss some great, independent excursions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by mrobstad

Is that the Western Med along Italy? I did that last year and it was amazing.

Keep in mind, a Med cruise involves a lot of planning....go to your roll call and sign up for tours with others beforehand....if you wait for the studio lounge, youll miss some great, independent excursions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our roll call is very quiet... I've already booked my tours. I'm primarily planning to meet other solos for dinner, drinks and shows on the boat.

• 2 weeks later...