What can you tell me about George Town

jackretired

Could I do this tour: Take a tour through the charming city of George Town, the capital of the Cayman Islands. Stop at the town of Hell, whose name was inspired by its unusual rock formations. Visit the Turtle Farm, an interactive sea-turtle nursery where green and hawksbill turtles are bred and raised.

I can use my chair (long distances), Rollator (medium distances with stops to rest on the seat), or cane (short distances).

How loing is it from ship to tour bus? Might the tour bus have a lift? What are walking/rolling conditions (and distances) at Turtle Farm?

Any private tour guides with accessible vans?

I've been to Grand Cayman several times (and most enjoyed myself on a land visit) and the big problem is that it is a tender port. Can you do the steps down into the tender boat and back up at the pier? The pier itself is in the middle of town. The buses have usually been parked about 2 or so blocks away. There are occasional curb cuts but they are not necessarily mated with a similar cut across the road. I found the turtle farm to be accessible but quite a bumpy ride. I have never seen a bus or taxi with a lift but I haven't been there in 3 or so years. I enjoy Grand Cayman. If you can manage the tender you might prefer to do a private tour by taxi so you don't have to climb the steps into the bus.

We were there a couple years ago and did manage to find the accessible bus and made a deal with the driver to take us to the Turtle Farm and Hell. We paid our own entry fee at the Turtle Farm, no fee required at Hell.

Now, this bus was rather dilapidated looking, but it ran well. Don't think he was quite prepared for two scooters at the same time in that he and his wife did have to rearrange a couple things inside the bus. Even the inside could use some refurbishing.

Both he and his wife were very nice. I cannot remember what we paid, only that we felt his price was very reasonable. They do not have a website. His email address is: maxtaxitours@yahoo.com and one of the phone numbers is: (345)-917-0133 (cell).

Hope this helps.

Betty

th_bigbiker.gif

Archived