NE/Canada Cruise 9/2018 Excursion Ideas?

I Luv Crusin

I know it's a year out and this is not the Canada board but I wanted to get ideas from people who have cruised New England and Canada from Boston what excursions did they take? Where did they stay pre/post cruise. Any travel ideas?

I'm near Washington DC and am debating taking the train or flying up from the D.C. area.

I just love planning ahead!

Thank you

I'm a big fan of the train, and the NE corridor gives you lots of choices. You'll end up downtown instead of out at the airport.

We've stayed at the Seaport Hotel before a cruise. It's close to the cruise port, but not close to a lot of tourist attractions, so that may not appeal to you. Be aware that hotels in Boston are expensive!

You didn't mention your ports. It would help if told us where your cruise is going.

Halifax is almost always on the itinerary. Great city! If you haven't been there before, you don't need to take an excursion. There's a lovely walkway along the harbor and an excellent maritime museum. A bit more of a hike (or a reasonable taxi ride) gets you to the Citadel (fortress overlooking the city) and/or to the public gardens, which are lovely. There's an immigration museum right in the port area, and also a wonderful farm market in a "green" building.

If you stop in Bar Harbor there are many good options. I suggest something that goes into the park, maybe up to the top of Cadillac Mountain. But save time for walking around the town.

Both towns offer lots of choices to get lobster roll, my favorite New England/Canada treat!

In Boston we liked the Hilton Hotel in the Financial District. Near everything -- Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall, etc.

Bar Harbor -- on the tours we took was Olie's Trolley to Cadillac Mountain and Acadia National Park -- we did the 2 hour one -- gives you plenty of time to walk around the town and try a Lobster Roll. This is a tender port so you have to allow to get to the pier from the ship to do excursions on your own.

Halifax -- one time we did the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus -- you can spend as much time at the various stops (includes the Citadel). Walking along the Boardwalk is also nice. Another time we went to Peggy's Cove -- nice lighthouse here.

Charlottetown -- very easy to walk around here -- don't waste money on the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus. We also went out to Ann of Green Gables.

Quebec City -- another easy port to walk around -- it is hilly. In town stop by the Chateau Frontenac. One time we took a tour of the Cathedral-Basillica of Notre Dame and Montmorency Falls.

Montreal -- we stayed at the down town Sheraton -- close to the underground to walk around and see the shops. We also booked a tour to go all around Montreal. We stayed over 4 days at the end of the cruise.

In Boston we liked the Hilton Hotel in the Financial District. Near everything -- Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall, etc.

Bar Harbor -- on the tours we took was Olie's Trolley to Cadillac Mountain and Acadia National Park -- we did the 2 hour one -- gives you plenty of time to walk around the town and try a Lobster Roll. This is a tender port so you have to allow to get to the pier from the ship to do excursions on your own.

Halifax -- one time we did the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus -- you can spend as much time at the various stops (includes the Citadel). Walking along the Boardwalk is also nice. Another time we went to Peggy's Cove -- nice lighthouse here.

Charlottetown -- very easy to walk around here -- don't waste money on the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus. We also went out to Ann of Green Gables.

Quebec City -- another easy port to walk around -- it is hilly. In town stop by the Chateau Frontenac. One time we took a tour of the Cathedral-Basillica of Notre Dame and Montmorency Falls.

Montreal -- we stayed at the down town Sheraton -- close to the underground to walk around and see the shops. We also booked a tour to go all around Montreal. We stayed over 4 days at the end of the cruise.

Great tips no matter when you go...thank you!

I'm a big fan of the train, and the NE corridor gives you lots of choices. You'll end up downtown instead of out at the airport.

We've stayed at the Seaport Hotel before a cruise. It's close to the cruise port, but not close to a lot of tourist attractions, so that may not appeal to you. Be aware that hotels in Boston are expensive!

You didn't mention your ports. It would help if told us where your cruise is going.

Halifax is almost always on the itinerary. Great city! If you haven't been there before, you don't need to take an excursion. There's a lovely walkway along the harbor and an excellent maritime museum. A bit more of a hike (or a reasonable taxi ride) gets you to the Citadel (fortress overlooking the city) and/or to the public gardens, which are lovely. There's an immigration museum right in the port area, and also a wonderful farm market in a "green" building.

If you stop in Bar Harbor there are many good options. I suggest something that goes into the park, maybe up to the top of Cadillac Mountain. But save time for walking around the town.

Both towns offer lots of choices to get lobster roll, my favorite New England/Canada treat!

Thank you also!