New to Pacific Northwest

Hi all! We are thinking about booking the Explorer in Sept doing the Pacific Northwest. We have not been to the west coast yet, and am looking forward to it. Have so many questions. First of all, we want to take advantage of our time in San Fran. Will we be able to walk from the pier to Fisherman's Wharf? Is there a better excursion than others to see the Golden Gate Bridge? We were on the Explorer a few years back before all the luggage fees. What is appropriate dress for men on the Explorer now? Is a sport coat and tie OK, or do most men wear suits?

And what to wear on days in San Fran, Astoria, and Victoria in September? Long pants, shorts…layer top and sweaters? Will we be able to swim on deck, or too chilly? We are used to doing caribbean cruises so this will be all new to us

I appreciate the help...

Never cruised to/from San Francisco but looking at Google Earth it looks like about 8/10ths of a mile to Fisherman's Wharf. Looks like there is a city bus on The Embarcadaro.

Just because Mark Twain never actually said it does not mean that the phrase "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." does not mean it isn't true. When the interior valleys of California heat up it can cause a thermal low pressure area there which sucks in cool/cold Pacific Ocean air into the Bay area. So while it is 100°F inland it can be cloudy and 50° on the Bay.

Plan to pack easily layered clothes. September can be very warm and sunny along the coast. Or some years and can be cold and rainy.

Astoria is a cool little town but the ships dock in a sort of industrial area away from the town proper. There is bus service from the pier and an all day pass is $7. The Columbia River Maritime Museum is fascinating. The Astoria Column is cool but hard to get to without a car - very steep hill. If there is an excursion to Fort Clatsop there is a lot of Lewis & Clark history there where they wintered.

Does the cruise terminate in Seattle?

I live near Seattle and will be doing a Pacific Coastal cruise this fall as well. I think I can help with a few ports. If my memory serves, it's an easy walk from the terminal to Fisherman's Wharf. There are several companies that book double decker bus tours that go around the city and across the Golden Gate Bridge. I'm not sure if they are hop on, hop off. We also enjoyed riding the cable cars. Again, an easy walk from the terminal.

Mind you, when I say easy, I'm assuming you can handle a walk of about a mile. If that would be too difficult, it's a VERY short cab ride. Enjoy your trip!

Going under the Golden Gate was pretty awesome! Make sure you know when that will happen so you can enjoy it. (Usually early morning.) You can also see Alcatraz as you sail into San Francisco!

• 5 weeks later...

Good example today for layering... Weather Service has issued a heat advisory because the temps will be in the high 80's (but no humidity) but NWS then said there would be relief in the evening/nighttime with temps in the 50's. Short sleeves in day - jacket in evening. This is typical if it gets warm for it to cool off fast after dark.

• 2 months later...

Going under the Golden Gate was pretty awesome! Make sure you know when that will happen so you can enjoy it. (Usually early morning.) You can also see Alcatraz as you sail into San Francisco!

Oh, thank you so much for this tip!! I've not read this yet in my 'researching'.... we will def be up on top to see this....will have to check out the time before the day.

:)