Falmouth- Check out Chukka Beach Break

kruzerci

If you're going to Falmouth and looking for an easy, cheap beach day, look into the Chucka Beach Break. It can only be booked through the cruise line (with or without lunch) and it was a really pleasant surprise. It was only $29 including transportation, we felt safe, the beach was beautiful, the only downside was the uncomfortable (free) beach chairs, which were alright after you covered them with towels.

For the price, you cannot beat it. They have busses running back to the port every hour on the hour, so even though the excursion says 4 hours, you can make it anywhere from 2-6 hours. The employees were friendly, there was lots of security from outside vendors, and they have a gift shop (no pressure to buy anything though) and a cash bar.

My only advice is don't walk beyond the perimeters of Chukka Beach, if you do, the vendors will bombard you. They will stress this to you on the ride there.

Here are a few pictures from our Freedom of the Seas 5/13/2012 cruise. Let me know if you have any questions, we are definitely going back in December when go stop there.

517.jpg

510.jpg

506.jpg

512.jpg

507.jpg

I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Great pics!

I did this in January. Really enjoyed it as a relaxing beach day was just what I wanted. The ice cold Red Stripe was great!

One secret. If you want lunch, buy it at the beach for $15 rather buying the beach break & lunch package for $49. Save $5 and have another beer.

Enjoy.

Edited by BBT

This looks great. The water looks very calm which would be perfect for our toddler. Does it stay shallow for a distance or is there a sudden drop off close to shore? Thanks so much for the post w/pics.

No problem, I couldn't find a ton of information beforehand so I wanted to share. It stays shallow, probably less than 4-5 feet, most of the way out. It doesn't drop off at all, it gradually gets deeper.

They had snacks like goldfish and sun chips for $1 at the bar for kids.

OP - Thanks for posting this information, just what we were looking for.

How much for beer and frozen drinks? TIA :)

They were a little overpriced. I think bottled beers were $4 and frozen drinks were $5.

Did you book onboard or ahead of time? I'm 100 days out and it says inquire onboard but the one that includes lunch is still available to reserve. Also, how long/treacherous was the ride and were you transported on full size busses or jitneys?

Did you book onboard or ahead of time? I'm 100 days out and it says inquire onboard but the one that includes lunch is still available to reserve. Also, how long/treacherous was the ride and were you transported on full size busses or jitneys?

We booked onboard.

Five minute ride, on decent roads in a full sized bus there, large vans coming back since not everybody leaves at once.

We booked onboard.

Five minute ride, on decent roads in a full sized bus there, large vans coming back since not everybody leaves at once.

Wow, thanks, it sounds even more perfect for our needs. Thank you again for your pics, info and quick replies.

I booked it onshore at the information booth. That's where it was whispered to me that lunch is only $15 if you buy it at the beach instead of the $20 it cost in the beach break & lunch package.

I don't remember the beer prices, but it was good & cold Red Stripe. $5 I think. Now if you walk down the beach to the left a little there is a little rickety restaurant that sells Red Stripe for $3. I found this out from somebody on the bus ride back. Damn!

I think it was this place:

1150927905_HPIM1119small.jpg.846de548c3e7b249d365dfd9bd5b2e1a.jpg

I booked it onshore at the information booth. That's where it was whispered to me that lunch is only $15 if you buy it at the beach instead of the $20 it cost in the beach break & lunch package.

I don't remember the beer prices, but it was good & cold Red Stripe. $5 I think. Now if you walk down the beach to the left a little there is a little rickety restaurant that sells Red Stripe for $3. I found this out from somebody on the bus ride back. Damn!

I call RCL yesturday to inquire about the tour with out lunch because I can't see it on the excursion site anymore, once it said inquire on board now its gone. She said that once onboard go to the excursion desk and they will arrange transportation to anywhere you want to go, like a create your own excursion? I have never heard this and not sure I believe it. All we want is to go to a beach that isn't that far away and Chukka seems like the best fit. I was under the impression you could not get there without using the RCL excursion. BBT was it an RCL booth? Still $29pp

She also said that there are set times to come and go and it is not at your leisure, is that true too?

Thanks!

I call RCL yesturday to inquire about the tour with out lunch because I can't see it on the excursion site anymore, once it said inquire on board now its gone. She said that once onboard go to the excursion desk and they will arrange transportation to anywhere you want to go, like a create your own excursion? I have never heard this and not sure I believe it. All we want is to go to a beach that isn't that far away and Chukka seems like the best fit. I was under the impression you could not get there without using the RCL excursion. BBT was it an RCL booth? Still $29pp

She also said that there are set times to come and go and it is not at your leisure, is that true too?

Thanks!

I think you talked to a nutcase, none of that sounds true, and busses left every hour on the hour to go back to the ship

kruzerci has it right about return buses to the port. Every hour starting at 11 a.m. (IIRC).

I booked off the ship in the port, as I did not know what I wanted to do in Falmouth before I got there. As it turned out, I just wanted a nice beach day, as the previous day in Grand Cayman riding waverunners to Stingray City beat me up pretty good. I needed rest! lol

Since Falmouth is pretty much a Royal only port, I guess the information booth I went to would be theirs. The booth is pretty much in the centre of the open square area, close to two yellow, grey roofed buildings. I am looking at a photo of it now. But am unable to show it large enough to show you. Wish I could.

It definitely was a Chukka excursion, not a privateer. There is no way to get into the beach otherwise. $29 charged to my Sea Pass according to my Onboard Statement.

I don't know about creating your own excursion through the excursion desk. I never used it for anything.

Thanks BBT that is what I thought. I just realized that you answered a question for me on the Cayman boards, we are doing the jetski tour also.. so what did you do in Cozumel and Labadee? I really want to do the jetski tour , I hope it is not raining, everytime we have been there in July it was raining. Since there are 5 of us and we need 3 of them it is a lot of money if the weather is bad.

So sounds like one can take a cab to the rickety restaurant, sit on some beach towels and enjoy some Red Stripes on the cheap. :D

Is the place down the beach past the rocks ?

Edited by runner15km

Thank you for posting! I think this is what we'll do this September. Do you happen to remember what time you had to meet in the morning for this excursion? Just curious.

10:45 AM if I remember correctly.

This looks great. The water looks very calm which would be perfect for our toddler. Does it stay shallow for a distance or is there a sudden drop off close to shore? Thanks so much for the post w/pics.

We did this excursion in March thru Royal Caribbean. We did not have children with us. Another group of friends had schedule the same trip but were told there was an age limit on children (I believe their young ones were 6-8 years old). I don't know why they were told there was an age restriction - we didn't see that posted anywhere at the beach, but BE WARNED, they play lots of loud music and one popular song in particular was the "local" latin version ... instead of "tonight I'm loving you" he was singing "tonight I'm f-ing you" over and over. Would not have wanted my child of any age to hear that. :eek: May not play that song the day you are there, but then again they may.

In March, the water was still really cool but lots of people were playing in it. I think it would depend on the wind and waviness that day if this would be good for a toddler. It is shallow for a good distance though.

Thanks BBT that is what I thought. I just realized that you answered a question for me on the Cayman boards, we are doing the jetski tour also.. so what did you do in Cozumel and Labadee? I really want to do the jetski tour , I hope it is not raining, everytime we have been there in July it was raining. Since there are 5 of us and we need 3 of them it is a lot of money if the weather is bad.

In Cozumel I did the 1/2 day bottom fishing. Had fun but got a wee bit sea sick as the boat rolled as well as heaved up down. Windy day & we had some good rollers. I was OK if I could just watch the horizon or the shore, but when I focused on my rod tip, then the stomach rolled a little. Didn't lose breakfast but it was a near thing. Closest I have ever come to tossing while on a cruise or excursion (or even on my cousin's lobster boat in Nova Scotia). One of our fellow participants got sick right away & never even touched his fishing rod. lol

Oh, and I caught the largest fish of the group!

Labadee I did the Dragon's Breath Flightline zip-line. Something I had wanted to do for some time. Quite the experience, if kind of brief. Otherwise spent time swimming & snorkeling.

So sounds like one can take a cab to the rickety restaurant, sit on some beach towels and enjoy some Red Stripes on the cheap. :D

Is the place down the beach past the rocks ?

I don't think you can get to the beach otherwise. It isn't a public beach, as it was explained to me. The public beach actually costs more in transportation, lounger rental, etc. It's also a longer ride.

Now as to the video, past the rocks but before the shacks is the place I had shown. I spent the day down that way. Walked the beach in both directions. The shacks are shops/and or restaurants.

2014370325_HPIM1123small.JPG.e585f65f92cbf001a709a36eb17ec82f.JPG

1463311740_HPIM1124small.JPG.8831b25ad4f9ccd236ef1e6ac911a8ca.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Can you get away from the music? The excursion sounds good, but I prefer to listen to the sounds of the beach rather than loud music. Can you get to a spot where this is possible or is it blaring over the whole beach?

If you're going to Falmouth and looking for an easy, cheap beach day, look into the Chucka Beach Break. It can only be booked through the cruise line (with or without lunch) and it was a really pleasant surprise. It was only $29 including transportation, we felt safe, the beach was beautiful, the only downside was the uncomfortable (free) beach chairs, which were alright after you covered them with towels.

For the price, you cannot beat it. They have busses running back to the port every hour on the hour, so even though the excursion says 4 hours, you can make it anywhere from 2-6 hours. The employees were friendly, there was lots of security from outside vendors, and they have a gift shop (no pressure to buy anything though) and a cash bar.

My only advice is don't walk beyond the perimeters of Chukka Beach, if you do, the vendors will bombard you. They will stress this to you on the ride there.

Here are a few pictures from our Freedom of the Seas 5/13/2012 cruise. Let me know if you have any questions, we are definitely going back in December when go stop there.

517.jpg

510.jpg

506.jpg

512.jpg

507.jpg

I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Thanks for sharing. Pictures are great.

The water looks so inviting.

Can't wait to visit again.

Thanks again for the info.

Can you get away from the music? The excursion sounds good, but I prefer to listen to the sounds of the beach rather than loud music. Can you get to a spot where this is possible or is it blaring over the whole beach?

We sat on the left side of the beach when you walk through the gate and only heard the music when we went by the gift shop and walked down the right side of the beach.

We sat on the left side of the beach when you walk through the gate and only heard the music when we went by the gift shop and walked down the right side of the beach.

Thanks a million! I'm going to be there next week on my birthday and I think this is the place I'm going to try.