Cave Tubing with GoPro

I asked this in the Belize forum but I didn't get much feed back. So I thought I would ask here.

I recently purchased a GoPro camera that I would like to take cave tubing. Has anyone else used theirs while tubing? What would be the best attachment to use for this (chest strap, wrist attachment, pole mount, etc.)? Or just hold the camera in my hand? I thought the head strap would be best but it looks like we will be wearing helmets with a flash light attached. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't tubed with mine, but for what it's worth - I vote wrist mount too. When I was snorkeling it seemed easy to aim and use a lot in general without always having to be aware of holding it, pointing it, etc - more natural I guess?

I'll be doing a cave tubing excursion in July. I plan on having 2 GoPro's; a Hero3+Black for its low-light and a Hero2 in a dive case. I plan on putting the Hero3 on an GoPole Reach, and then have the Hero2 on a Bobber mount attached to a wrist strap. The cave tubing videos I've seen show people wearing life vests and head-strap mounted flash lights (similar to a coal miner's light) - so the Chesty and head mount may be cumbersome. This may all change, though.... When are you tubing?

Edited by mbjboyle

We set sail this Saturday, the 21st. It looks like we're required to wear helmets with flashlights while tubing. So the head strap is out of the question. So I guess I'll be bringing my pole mount.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

I did hand held movies, and still shots... I put the camera in the waterproof case, and put a lanyard on ,, so I could put it around my neck till I wanted to take shots.. sometimes I would knot it on my wrist so it didn't get lost.. that allowed me to hand it off to guides, or others to get shots that included me... the walk to the caves i used a chest mount,