Shopping in Dominica

momdaughterondestiny

How is the shopping in Dominica? Just wondering. I am talking about clothes and things made in Dominica. thanks

gina

We didn't find much that was sold that we didn't see in St. Thomas the day before with the exception of it saying Dominica. However, the clothing was a few dollars cheaper in Dominica, so save your money for there. We did buy the soaps that are made on the island that folks were talking about on this board though. Haven't used it yet, but I bought 2 different kinds. We wanted to buy some of the Ginger wine that we tasted on our tour with Reyno, but forgot to on our way back to the ship. It's sweet, but it's made there on the island and we found it very tasty with our Plantain chips....

I just wanted to again thank you for taking time to answer my ? Your review was great and gave me all I could possibly need to know on shore excursions and we are doing most of the ones you did. I too want some soap that people are talking about on here and ginger wine, well I just might have to give that a try too.

Thanks gina

• 2 weeks later...

There are 2 types of soap. One looks more in color and consistency like a bar of Coast. The color it comes in is light blue, dark blue, green, cream, and red, (but don't bother with the red, it is medicated and we later found out it is for skin problems like scabies). I think each color may have a different scent. The other type is a glycerine soap. It comes in different scents, almond, coconut, and aloe (I think), the bar was green, so I'm assuming. I have bought/used both types and like each

The Coast type soap is sold individually packaged in a little plastic bag for about $1 US each, and can be found at almost every stop your tour will make, also in town at the vendors area....look for the umbrellas when you get off the ship.

I did find a deal at the local pharmacy (about 2 blocks from the main street where you pick up tours/cabs) on the glycerine type, they had 3 prepackaged bars of soap for a little less than $2. The prices at the pharmacy are in the local currency (EC dollars?), and if I remember correctly, each of their dollars is worth about $2.50 US. They also had the Coast type packaged individually, I didn't price those, but would imagine that they are cheaper than $1.

We also found the pharmacy one of the best prices to buy souvenirs. I bought a bag full of soap, hot sauce, coconut essence, pure vanilla and some other stuff for about $8.00 US.

I understand that there is also a grocery (an IGA perhaps?) store somewhere nearby the pharmacy. So, if you are looking for hotsauce or other food items made on Dominica that might be the place to look.

Christine

• 11 years later...
How is the shopping in Dominica? Just wondering. I am talking about clothes and things made in Dominica. thanks

gina

They are noted for baskets made locally. In Roseau a huge selection in all sizes and shapes can be found at the Old Market. Prices are reasonable.