Monster jeep excursion

Tntlpn

We went a few years back when they were using the off road Polaris Razor type vehicles but went to the same stops. The nature preserve was just a few boardwalks into a swamp where there was some wildlife and an observation tower. The Mayan ruin was a weather station that would whistle in case of a storm as a warning. The lighthouse museum was pretty cool and you could go to the top. The beach is in the same place as the lighthouse and they offered snorkeling if you wanted to do it. We stopped at an all-inclusive resort for lunch afterwards and while expensive, the food was great and to this day it was some of the best guacamole I've ever had. I would go again to take the kids, but the wife has no interest in doing excursions over again.

Has anyone done this excursion to ruins and virgin beach?

It sounds like fun but would love to opinions of anyone who has gone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just did this excursion on November 1st, and we loved it. The jeeps were hard tops with A/C, 4 passengers per vehicle, we switched drivers at the half way point. It was a REAL off road experience. Mostly sand road which bounces you around a lot. One spot with water up to your bumber, and we (our jeep) had to turn around and pull the trailing guide''s vehicle from where he had gotten stuck.

The Virgin beach also was nice. I was greatly surprised that we were the only people on the beach within eyesight. The lunch was wonderful, they provided beach umbrellas, blankets and a beach table to eat from while seated on the blanket.

The small Mayan ruin was unimpressive. Essentially a smoke signaling facility which acted as a lighthouse would today to help navigators.

Overall we found that this excursion lived up to its name (and they rarely do). Real 4x4 experience and a real private (primitive) beach experience.

Two minor downsides.

1)They do stop and try to sell you tequila on the way back (incidentally, after you have tipped them)

2) they tell you not to swim at the beach, rip tides, currents, blah, blah,. We swam anyway!

Ohhh thank you so much! Great review and pictures. Yea not being able to swim would be a bummer! Did everyone swim? Was it rough? Still debating between this excursion and am all inclusive beach day

Ohhh thank you so much! Great review and pictures. Yea not being able to swim would be a bummer! Did everyone swim? Was it rough? Still debating between this excursion and am all inclusive beach day

About half swam, rhe beach is on the east side of the island. So the surf is a little rougher than the channel, but Caribbean waters. For the sake of fun i found it (i think) on the map

Ruins; Dropped Pin

https://goo.gl/maps/D466A6wbew52

Beach/lunch; Dropped Pin

https://goo.gl/maps/SbD3juhHnfv

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk