Tender Ports and Mobility Scooters?

mosiegirl

Has anyone ever tendered with a mobility scooter?

I can't do stairs.. can't bend my knees beyond 3 -4 inches at best for a step-up so walking onto a tender is out of the question. Plus can't carry my weight up a stair steeper than 3-4 inches even with the help of someone.

We have avoided all tender ports to date as we don't know if I could scooter right onto the tender-boats?

I can't do stairs.. can't bend my knees beyond 3 -4 inches at best for a step-up so walking onto a tender is out of the question. Plus can't carry my weight up a stair steeper than 3-4 inches even with the help of someone.

We have avoided all tender ports to date as we don't know if I could scooter right onto the tender-boats?

To date the only tender port that I have gotten off at was Venice last year. The Ruby Princess actually had an elevator from deck 4 (debarkation deck) to deck 3 (actual floating deck for the tender) since I have a TravelScoot they were able to lift the scooter into the tender. The only issue may be the step into the tender. Will know in about a week if the Emerald Princess also have an elevator as next week we will be in Monaco.

If you book to cruise on a smallish ship, then you are less likely to have tender ports. From what I understand, most tender ports are not suitable unless you can get on to the tender. I think you may have difficulty with not being able to do the stairs.

For all main stream mass market cruise lines it's generally posted in their websites that unless the tender has roll-on capabilities mobility scooters will NOT be allowed onto the tender.

Holland American is the only cruise line that has one roll-on tender per ship with the exception of the Prinsedam. However when I was on the Zaandam a year ago the roll-on tender was not in use and no one with a mobility scooter or electric wheelchair was allowed to go out the ship. All other cruise lines use their life boats as tenders which do not have roll-on capabilities.

There are some ports that the port provides its own tenders. For example Grand Cayman the port provides its own tenders and the cruise lines do not have use its life boats. Also RCCL's Coco Cay is a tendered port but RCCL has tender with roll-on capabilities permanently docked at this port that they use instead of the ships life boats. The tenders provided by the port of Grand Cayman and the one provided at RCCL's private island Coco Cay do have roll-on capabilities in which a scooter can be driven directly on board.

Even if roll-on capability is available , regardless of who provides the tender the ship or port, it's still at the discretion of the Captain depending on weather and sea conditions if mobility scooters will be allowed to board the tender.

For tender ports, never pre-plan anything as I expect to be staying on board the ship that day. If for some reason I'm allowed to board the tender with a mobility scooter I consider it a bonus.

It should also be noted that selecting a smaller ship doesn't always guarantee that there will be no tender ports as there are just some ports that do not have docks available.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I was fortunate to have been able to tender off of the ship at Half Moon Cay. I am in a wheelchair 24 *7 and was able to roll right down the ramp onto the upper deck of the tender. The roll on tenders are rare but they are out there.

For example Grand Cayman the port provides its own tenders and the cruise lines do not have use its life boats.

Both times we were in Grand Cayman, our ship used its own tenders. (HAL and Oceania) Probably because larger ships took all the other big port tenders.

Both times we were in Grand Cayman, our ship used its own tenders. (HAL and Oceania) Probably because larger ships took all the other big port tenders.

Actually your post reminded me that I forgot to state that depending on the number of ships in port at Grand Cayman on a specific day could impact whether or not a roll-on tender is available . The OP would need to check directly with the ship on that day as to whether or not a roll-on tender would be available.

I was fortunate to have been able to tender off of the ship at Half Moon Cay. I am in a wheelchair 24 *7 and was able to roll right down the ramp onto the upper deck of the tender. The roll on tenders are rare but they are out there.

Half Moon Cay is a private island owned by Holland America. Being that Holland America is owned by Carnival Corporation, Carnival Cruise Lines sometimes uses Half Moon Cay. Regardless if there is a roll-on tender permanently docked at Half Moon Cay that allows mobility scooters to drive d on board it should again be noted that depending on weather and sea conditions it's still at the Captain's discretion as to whether or not passengers with mobility scooter or wheelchair will be allowed to board.

Regardless if there is a roll-on tender permanently docked at Half Moon Cay that allows mobility scooters to drive d on board it should again be noted that depending on weather and sea conditions it's still at the Captain's discretion as to whether or not passengers with mobility scooter or wheelchair will be allowed to board.

This is true at ALL tender ports.

This is true at ALL tender ports.

Thanks for reminding OP of that.

FYI - this was also stated in my original post # 4 as follows:

Even if roll-on capability is available , regardless of who provides the tender the ship or port, it's still at the discretion of the Captain depending on weather and sea conditions if mobility scooters will be allowed to board the tender.

For tender ports, never pre-plan anything as I expect to be staying on board the ship that day. If for some reason I'm allowed to board the tender with a mobility scooter I consider it a bonus.

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 2 weeks later...

I had my first wheelchair cruise this year.

Tendering was fine for me as I can very slowly and carefully make it several steps and was able to bring my manual wheelchair. Stinks to not be able to drive around on my own and go where I want instead of where my pusher goes, but at least I get to go! So grateful for him!!

In my opinion, you have to be able to stand steady, walk the few steps across the plank onto the boat in order to be certain to make it, and if the water is rough that day, even that could be impossible, depending on your situation.

They did allow me to sit right next to the plank so I didn't have to maneuver around the tender.

Grand Cayman did allow someone to ride theirs right on, and again that is due to the conditions, boat and captain. Do not count on it if you have to use the mobile scooter and cannot make the walk across.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
I had my first wheelchair cruise this year.

Tendering was fine for me as I can very slowly and carefully make it several steps and was able to bring my manual wheelchair. Stinks to not be able to drive around on my own and go where I want instead of where my pusher goes, but at least I get to go! So grateful for him!!

In my opinion, you have to be able to stand steady, walk the few steps across the plank onto the boat in order to be certain to make it, and if the water is rough that day, even that could be impossible, depending on your situation.

They did allow me to sit right next to the plank so I didn't have to maneuver around the tender.

Grand Cayman did allow someone to ride theirs right on, and again that is due to the conditions, boat and captain. Do not count on it if you have to use the mobile scooter and cannot make the walk across.

Good luck!

We will also have our manual wheelchair with us whenever we sail.. but never thought it would be possible to get in and out of the tender boats.. I can walk a straight line about 20-30 feet.. give or take... but can't bend the knee much.. so getting up or down something is near impossible. If getting onto the tender is one straight level then I would be fine with my feet and my manual wheelchair.. but if it means bending the knee to step up onto the boat or bend the knee to step down into a boat I can't do that.. :( I can't even take advantage of free airport shuttles/buses as I can't bend my knee to step up onto the steps getting into a bus/shuttle :(

Tenders are bouncy things, and even if there's a level area between the ship and tender, there could be an unexpected lurch, causing a step going onto the tender. Also, if using the ship tender, there's always steps to get into the tender.

We will also have our manual wheelchair with us whenever we sail.. but never thought it would be possible to get in and out of the tender boats.. I can walk a straight line about 20-30 feet.. give or take... but can't bend the knee much.. so getting up or down something is near impossible. If getting onto the tender is one straight level then I would be fine with my feet and my manual wheelchair.. but if it means bending the knee to step up onto the boat or bend the knee to step down into a boat I can't do that.. :( I can't even take advantage of free airport shuttles/buses as I can't bend my knee to step up onto the steps getting into a bus/shuttle :(

In addition to the all the previous posts this what's is what is posted on Carnival's Website . Here's the link to check for yourself http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/wheelchair-users.aspx

Getting On and Off the Ship: At certain ports of call, small boats known as "tenders" are used to transport passengers from the ship to shore. Certain tenders may not be accessible to individuals using wheelchairs or mobility scooters, or the status of the tendering process at a particular port under certain weather, sea, swell, current and/or tide conditions may prove difficult for a safe transfer to take place. In each case, it will be the decision of the ship officials to determine, based on their evaluation of safety issues for our guests and crew, whether or not a guest using a wheelchair may board a tender. In order to safely board tenders, guests must be able to take steps and use a collapsible, fold up wheelchair; motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters cannot be taken on tenders.