Shanghai to beijing

alfie1963

We are ending our cruise in shanghai ang doing 3 nights beijing never done asia before and we was going to do the fast train to beijing should we book tickets before we go or get them there also is it easy for direction to platforms ect I am so nervous we get lost.

We've done the high-speed train between Beijing and Shanghai. Our tickets were prebooked through the guide company we used, China Highlights. Our guide stayed with us, helping us board and find our seats. Mobility was a concern for us, so it was comforting being picked up at our hotel and driven to the train station. I believe you can just use them to purchase your train tickets if that is all you need. We had Business class seats (higher than First class on the China trains). Our car had very few people, so lots of seats were available.

In addition to the China Highlights website, I found the Seat61 website very helpful in learning about train travel in China.

We're doing an overnight train from Shanghai to Beijing, in a sleeper.

I also have spent a lot of time on the websites previously recommended, but ultimately I am using www(dot)china-diy-travel(dot)com (also recommended on the Seat61 site).

The tickets for my train don't become available until Feb 14, so she has all of our info and will book them that day. Then I wire her the money (she takes Paypal but I'm going to use an email transfer, which she'll take from Australia or Canada, fewer fees). Then she'll send us the e-tickets which we exchange once we get to Shanghai.

You'll be departing from Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station. This is Asia's largest train station. It's fairly new so it's sleek, clean, and easily navigated. Directional signs are also in English so it should be fairly stress-free to find your way around. Arrival/Departure announcements are also bi-lingual. However, if you find yourself confused just show an attendant your ticket and they'll direct you. Staff is friendly even if they don't have much, or any, English. Most will have enough English for you to be able to communicate your needs.

If you wish, Metro Lines 2 and 10 go directly to the station.

Train crew are also friendly and the attendants will know enough English.

Have fun! :)

I have also used http://www.china-diy-travel.com

They give you instructions in English and Chinese for the taxi driver and the train station as well as photos of the train station and instructions to figure it out. But the train stations are very modern and super easy to figure out. Impossible to get lost or go wrong.

Unlike other agents, their commission is low and do not ask you to pay in advance. You cal also check the excellent reviews about them on TripAdvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g294212-d3827123-Reviews-China_DIY_Travel_Beijing_Private_One_day_Tour-Beijing.html

For this route it is a good idea to take the train rather than fly. I have done both in the past and flights are generally delayed while the train is always on time.