Are Mosquitoes a problem in May?

The Alaskan thread suggests that in the middle of May mosquitoes are quite a problem, especially in land. We are travelling from Vancouver through to Banff. Should we be worried? I never gave this a thought when planning, as I always associated them with warm damp weather!

The Alaskan thread suggests that in the middle of May mosquitoes are quite a problem, especially in land. We are travelling from Vancouver through to Banff. Should we be worried? I never gave this a thought when planning, as I always associated them with warm damp weather!

Mosquitoes and black flies are a problem in May. Not in Vancouver. When you say 'problem' what do you have in mind? Mosquitoes are worse at dusk. DEET (deep woods OFF) is effective.

Just that I had not even considered them as I had always associated them with the warmer damper climates.

We tend to get them in September/Autumn by the lakes.

Are they a nuisance in so much as you don't go out unless totally covered up and sprayed with deet or do you just come across the occasional ones?

Will they be more of a problem when travelling to Banff?

As I said, I just never gave them a thought! :(

Just that I had not even considered them as I had always associated them with the warmer damper climates.

We tend to get them in September/Autumn by the lakes.

Are they a nuisance in so much as you don't go out unless totally covered up and sprayed with deet or do you just come across the occasional ones?

Will they be more of a problem when travelling to Banff?

As I said, I just never gave them a thought! :(

A nuisance.

You won't have a problem with them in Vancouver nor in coastal Alaska. As for the interior of BC in mid-May they shouldn't be a huge problem but if they trouble you then I would bring along some repellent.

Archived