Any good snorkeling from the beach?

houseflipper48

We have snorkeled right off the beach. You would be shocked what's swimming so close. Let's just say they where big enough to send me back to the pool

Carnival Splendor 2013

Carnival Pride 2014

Carnival Splendor 2014

Carnival Pride 2015

We have snorkeled right off the beach. You would be shocked what's swimming so close. Let's just say they where big enough to send me back to the pool

Carnival Splendor 2013

Carnival Pride 2014

Carnival Splendor 2014

Carnival Pride 2015

Oh no....did you see a shark? What beach were you at?

If the wind is west of north you can snorkel the Atlantic side within a quarter mile walk(maybe less), just get on top of the ship arriving to the dock, and you can see the spot. We at first had to walk around the point to the south, then back north, but there is an unpaved road straight east from the dock to the best snorkeling we have seen in a long while cruising.

• 1 month later...
Do you turn left or right after getting off the ship? Are there any more landmarks that will help me find this wonderful snorkeling site?Thanks!

We turned right and walked all the way around the southern tip, then back north. Coming back to the ship/pier we cut through straight to the cruise area. However, the east side will be rough on typical days when the trade winds are blowing out of the east. We just got lucky, the wind was out of the northwest. Just climb to the highest bow point on the ship, you can see clear across the island.

• 1 month later...

I'm also interested in snorkeling from the beach rather than booking an excursion. I think as long as we are able to see a few fish, we'd be happy and my wallet would be happy too!

So if I understand, it seems that you go right when you get off the pier where the ship docks directly to the beach area? I'd also like to know if you can rent snorkel gear there or would we need to bring our own.

Thanks for your help.

I'm also interested in snorkeling from the beach rather than booking an excursion. I think as long as we are able to see a few fish, we'd be happy and my wallet would be happy too!

So if I understand, it seems that you go right when you get off the pier where the ship docks directly to the beach area? I'd also like to know if you can rent snorkel gear there or would we need to bring our own.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, we found the good snorkeling spot on our recent visit. You go to the right of the pier coming from the ship. Going along the coast the whole way is a bit difficult with all the rocks and shells. The path/dirt road that is more direct can be accessed by turning inland right after you pass the fence that borders the cruise port area.

The area for snorkeling is primitive with no facilities or any rental options. There may be rental opportunities in the cruise port.

The reef is about 30 yds off the beach and very diverse. The day we went there were divers and other snorkelers in that spot.

We walked off the ship walked to the left, paid $10 to rent snorkel gear , swam out 25 -30 feet and snorkeled all day. We saw a lot of really neat fish a small octopus, so fun!!Margaritaville was right behind us and has bathrooms and a swimming pool. The smaller kids stayed in the shallow and snorkeled they even got to see smaller fish. Perfect temperature picturesque setting and didn't even have to pay for a taxi!