Rainbow beach, monks bath, Cane bay - all in a day?

Frznrth

Hi.

Hard to know how to spend the day here. Am thinking a jet ski rental at Rainbow, check out Monks Bath and then a snorkel at Cane Bay - or the other way around sounds nice. Too much for a day?

Are there jet ski rentals at Cane Bay too? Options are nice.

Thanks much.

I went ahead and booked jet skis at Rainbow from 10-11. So now I'm wondering about getting to Monks Bath then to Cane Bay and back to the boat.

Are there taxis at Rainbow? How about at Monks Bath? If I get dropped at the bath could I count on a driver coming back to get me? - guess would depend on how big I tip ;)

Thanks.

I went ahead and booked jet skis at Rainbow from 10-11. So now I'm wondering about getting to Monks Bath then to Cane Bay and back to the boat.

Are there taxis at Rainbow? How about at Monks Bath? If I get dropped at the bath could I count on a driver coming back to get me? - guess would depend on how big I tip ;)

Thanks.

Sorry I wasn't quicker on this! I think you are over planning things my friend, that is really too much for a day here. If you want to hit Monks Bath and Rainbow that's a good plan but arrange the taxi before hand.

Thanks.

Infrastructure starts getting very thin once you get north of Rainbow. Just you and nature and a few Robinson Crusoes. Watch your footing at Monks Bath.

Thanks. Monks Bath does look pretty remote. Is it worth cheking out? Am wondering if I'd be better off renting a car for the day. Would hate to get stuck there.

I'll put it to you this way: I live here and I've never bothered to go. I don't think I know anyone who has either.

Generally when locals go to the tide pools we hit the Annaly pools on the north shore, not Monks Bath.

If you want to see the more remote and adventurous places maybe renting a car is a good idea, I leave that decision up to you.

Thanks much for the local advice. I'll check out the tide pools you mentioned.

I'm still trying to decide between a cab and renting a car - I doubt if I'll be going very much off the beaten path so accessing a cab shouldnt be much of an issue. But if I wanted to see a few different places how much hassle is it to rent and drive around the island compared to using cabs?

Thanks much for the local advice. I'll check out the tide pools you mentioned.

I'm still trying to decide between a cab and renting a car - I doubt if I'll be going very much off the beaten path so accessing a cab shouldnt be much of an issue. But if I wanted to see a few different places how much hassle is it to rent and drive around the island compared to using cabs?

Let me clarify: if you are coming in on a ship and only have 7ish hours in port you should NOT visit any of the tide pools. They are the very definition of "off the beaten path".

If you do insist on visiting the Annaly pools you need to hook up with a tour guide. Tan Tan Tours is considered the best around.

Please for your own safety DO NOT try to take a rental jeep down that trail, you will wreck it.

You can rent a car right next to the pier if you want to, no hassle at all.

Thanks

I had only mentioned tide pools as I saw monks bath was on the way from Rainbow to Cane and looked like a cool place to stop.

So picking up a rental sounds easy - I can get the car right at the dock - no need to get a ride to the lot once I pay?

Lots of free parking at Rainbow and Cane?

Easy to fill up at the dock before returning?

Thanks

I had only mentioned tide pools as I saw monks bath was on the way from Rainbow to Cane and looked like a cool place to stop.

So picking up a rental sounds easy - I can get the car right at the dock - no need to get a ride to the lot once I pay?

Lots of free parking at Rainbow and Cane?

Easy to fill up at the dock before returning?

Yeah, Budget offers a Cruise Ship special (you can google Budget St. Croix) where they bring the rental car to the pier for you and pick it up at the end of the day. Very good service from what I've heard! There are plenty of gas stations along centerline road to fuel up at, no trouble there.

Thanks

I visited Monk's Bath on Feb 25th - at least I think I did. Once you get north of Rainbow there's a lot of coral and sand beaches, but not a lot of signage to tell you exactly where you are.

Anyway, the tidal pools are not uncool. They are at least "different". They are basins about the size of bathtubs gouged out in the coral by incoming waves. They make interesting washing-machine noises as they fill up and drain out water. Since they lie in coral, the footing ranges from somewhat precarious to jagged.

I'd estimate that Monk's Bath (or wherever the heck I was) is about a mile north of Rainbow, where the coast indents a bit. Just north of it the beach gets sandy - I think it's Northside Valley beach, but as mentioned there was no sign. There are various spots here and there where you can pull off a car.

In fact I walked the whole way, although this seems to be a minority option. The tidal pools are probably forty-five minutes or so walking from Rainbow - although again I'm not sure where Rainbow leaves off and Sprat Hole, or whatever, takes over.

There are some pretty nice front yards on the other side of the road.

Not a heck of a lot of places to stop for a cold drink along the way. More like zero.

On the other hand it's just you and nature, and a handful of other people. And a lot of cement trucks.

I visited Monk's Bath on Feb 25th - at least I think I did. Once you get north of Rainbow there's a lot of coral and sand beaches, but not a lot of signage to tell you exactly where you are.

Anyway, the tidal pools are not uncool. They are at least "different". They are basins about the size of bathtubs gouged out in the coral by incoming waves. They make interesting washing-machine noises as they fill up and drain out water. Since they lie in coral, the footing ranges from somewhat precarious to jagged.

I'd estimate that Monk's Bath (or wherever the heck I was) is about a mile north of Rainbow, where the coast indents a bit. Just north of it the beach gets sandy - I think it's Northside Valley beach, but as mentioned there was no sign. There are various spots here and there where you can pull off a car.

In fact I walked the whole way, although this seems to be a minority option. The tidal pools are probably forty-five minutes or so walking from Rainbow - although again I'm not sure where Rainbow leaves off and Sprat Hole, or whatever, takes over.

There are some pretty nice front yards on the other side of the road.

Not a heck of a lot of places to stop for a cold drink along the way. More like zero.

On the other hand it's just you and nature, and a handful of other people. And a lot of cement trucks.

I should have had a beer with you my friend, maybe next time!