Travel insurance cover VRBO rental cancellation for an individual in a group situatio

FunInTheSun9

We have a group of 11 that are considering renting an apartment in Rome through VRBO for our pre-cruise 4-night stay. Even though the apt owner allows free cancellation within 60 days of arrival, the group is treating the rental payment as non-refundable so that if anyone cancels at anytime it does not change the rate for the remaining parties.

Everyone in the group is on board with this plan. Question is: if someone had to cancel, would trip insurance reimburse them even though the group stayed at the property?

We have to pay one group payment up front. So if one individual had to cancel, technically the entire group can cancel or absorb a higher per person rate when split between the remaining members. Under this plan, only the cancelling party is penalized - unless trip insurance covers them.

Would hate for someone in the group to be stuck with loosing their individual portion of the rental payment if they had to cancel for an unforeseen reason. Just wondering how others have handled this, and if insurance provided protection.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to reply to my own post: I called Travel Insured International today to run this by them. They said if the person in the group is cancelling with a qualified reason (e.g. sick, etc.) and is not reimbursed through other means (the group or the apartment owner), then the policy will reimburse 100% of their rental expense.

Nice to know.

Going to reply to my own post: I called Travel Insured International today to run this by them. They said if the person in the group is cancelling with a qualified reason (e.g. sick, etc.) and is not reimbursed through other means (the group or the apartment owner), then the policy will reimburse 100% of their rental expense.

Nice to know.

My next question would be,,, How does this individual "prove" that their share of the cost was $XX?

The group paid as a whole.

The insurance company is going to want a receipt from the vendor showing the amount this individual paid.

The Travel Insured agent said that the paper trail would need to show: 1. The individual's payment made to me, and 2. My group payment to VRBO.com since I'm paying for the group in full.

So a cancelled check, paypal invoice, etc. should do the trick for the individual's payment amount. Made sense to me.

Edited by FunInTheSun9
clarification

iN THIS TYPE OF ARRANGEMENT IT'S ALWAYS A GOOD IDES TO HAVE SOME SORT OF INFORMAL CONTRACT SIGNED AND AGREED TO BY ALL OF THE GROUP MEMBERS. PERHAPS. "IF THE SIZE OF THE GROUP IS 11 EACH GROUP MEMBER WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR A TOTAL AMOUNT OF $XX. iF THE SIZE OF THE GROUP ENDS UP BEING 10 EACH GROUP MEMBER WILL BE RESPONSIBLE OF $XX. nO REFUNDS FROM THE GROUP OR THE VILLA OWNER FOR CANCELLATIONS. WE URGE EACH GROUP MEMBER TO PROTECT HIS INVESTMENT BY PURCHASING TRAVEL INSURANCE." GOTTA BE A LAWYER SOMEWHERE IN THE GROUP