Marseille to Notre Dame ??

MikeNKim

I have been searching for this info and not quite finding exactly the answer I am looking for so I am hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction.

We would basically like to go from the port (RCCL) to Nortre Dame first. I tried googlemaps and if I entered the addresses correctly it is only about a 1.9kms walk which is a little over a mile. Is this correct? Is walking it possible? My DH and I are huge walkers and that at all won't be a issue but first is it really that close? Is it a fairly safe walk?

From there however how do we find Old Town? Or even just a little town to roam around, buy some soap and try some local food?

Thank you all for your assistance

Kim

ND is on a hill so even if the miles are correct it is not very easy. The cruise port is not the same as the old port. The walk is very uninteresting and time consuming.

From the cruise port you first have to go to Juliet (a transport hub). Then on to the old port and then up to ND de la Garde.

Public buses will do the trick (eur 1,80, 3 changes)

• 5 weeks later...

I agree that walking up to Notre Dame de la Garde is not recommended. It's quite a steep uphill climb and miserable in the summer heat.

Once you are on the Old Port you have three options for getting there:

1) bus no. 60, which leaves from the MuCEM (by the J4 Terminal) or from the Old Port itself. ND is the last stop.

2) the little tourist train (it leaves from the quai du Port, the side of the Old Port nearest the cruise terminals). At the top you can take your time to look around and hop on a later tourist train back down the hill.

3) taxi

More useful information about Notre Dame: http://www.marvellous-provence.com/marseille/what-to-see/notre-dame-de-la-garde