Definition of disabled?

jennjenn129

This may not even go anywhere but it is a large concern of mine as I am going on my first cruise in May.

I am a 20 y/o female who is 100+ pounds over weight. I also have 11 chronic illnesses. I am not on social security disability, but I am currently working on getting my handicap parking tag. As you can imagine a 20 year old female who on the outside appears healthy, this can be difficult.

I was wondering what the definition of disabled is for cruising on a carnival ship? And what documentation I must have (if any) if I need a temporary wheelchair?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No documentation at all.

Cruise ships do recommend that if you need a wheelchair that you bring one for your own use.

You can either purchase one or rent one.

If you require an accessible cabin (with a roll in shower) then you will be asked to complete a form stating that you need the cabin, if/what kind of wheelchair you're bringing, and questions about the size of the chair along with any other medical needs you have.

This may not even go anywhere but it is a large concern of mine as I am going on my first cruise in May.

I am a 20 y/o female who is 100+ pounds over weight. I also have 11 chronic illnesses. I am not on social security disability, but I am currently working on getting my handicap parking tag. As you can imagine a 20 year old female who on the outside appears healthy, this can be difficult.

I was wondering what the definition of disabled is for cruising on a carnival ship? And what documentation I must have (if any) if I need a temporary wheelchair?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A Handicap parking tag technically only means that you have met the requirements of your state to qualify for a HC Parking permit and is not required to book an Accessible Cabin.

If you are asking what is required to book an accessible cabin than per the USA Federal Law that went into effect 1/1/2012 for all cruises embarking from a USA port than in order to prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, the cruiseline or hotel

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

If you're asking what is required to request wheelchair assistance on embarkation day and disembarkation than all you have to do is request it once your arrive inside the port on embarkation day and guests are served on a first come first served basis. Note: Carnival does not offer curbside assistance for embarking and debarking the ship.

If you require the regular use of a wheelchair during the cruise, you would need to bring your own or rent one from a service provider. Carnival's approved suppliers for delivery directly to the ship are:

CareVacations 1.877.478.7827

Special Needs at Sea 1.800.513.4515

Interesting thread...

Does anyone know if hearing impaired gadgets are included in handicap cabins? I will be going on my first cruise (in December) since a sudden and total hearing loss in September, 2012. I do have two cochlear implants, but do not wear my processors when I sleep, shower, etc...

Thank you,

Taters

Edited by Taters

Interesting thread...

Does anyone know if hearing impaired gadgets are included in handicap cabins? I will be going on my first cruise (in December) since a sudden and total hearing loss in September, 2012. I do have two cochlear implants, but do not wear my processors when I sleep, shower, etc...

Thank you,

Taters

Generally speaking no. However most cruise lines will provide a portable room kit for your stateroom upon request. It generally includes a visual-tactile alert system that provides alerts for door knocking, telephone ringing, alarm clock and smoke detector.

Some cruise lines will also supply a TTY (teletypewriter) in your stateroom upon request. The TTY generally will interface with the TTY at the Guest Relations Desk to meet all your in-stateroom needs.

Suggest you go to the website for the cruise line in question and check what that particular cruise will provide.