UK Voltage question

Will be winding up a cruise by spending four days in London. I have already purchased a plug converter, but am wondering if my electric curling iron or other styler will need a current converter, as it's only been used on 110 (vs. 220 in London). I was told that if the device doesn't have a motor, it'll be fine, but I'd hate to burn it out on day 1 or 2.

I could email the hotel, but thought I'd get a faster response from all of you knowledgeable CCr's!

Electrical supply in UK is 240V and 50Hz as compared to 110 and 60 for the US. Most electrical items have a label that shows if they are dual voltage suitable; if it only shows 110V then there is a risk of damage due to overload (your item is likely to have a fixed resistance and if you apply twice the voltage you'll get twice the current and twice the heat). It might be better to purchase a relatively cheap dual voltage one or wait until you arrive in the UK and go to Argos or one of the big supermarkets and buy a UK spec cheaply and just leave it behind). I searched for ages to find dual voltage straighteners. G.

I have both a dual voltage curling iron and hair dryer that I take to the UK--just use an adapter plug and they have been fine. Just check yours before you go --it should be on the label or do a search with the model number.

I was told that if the device doesn't have a motor, it'll be fine ...
That was bad advice. If a device is designed only to operate on 110V, it will almost certainly blow up as soon as you supply 240V to it, whether or not it contains a motor.

Fortunately, there are many appliances that will now operate at any voltage from 110V to 240V.

Will be winding up a cruise by spending four days in London. I have already purchased a plug converter, but am wondering if my electric curling iron or other styler will need a current converter, as it's only been used on 110 (vs. 220 in London). I was told that if the device doesn't have a motor, it'll be fine, but I'd hate to burn it out on day 1 or 2.

I could email the hotel, but thought I'd get a faster response from all of you knowledgeable CCr's!

Look at anything you expect to use in London. Somewhere on the device there will be text telling you the range (or upper limit) for each product. For example, my Kindle charge works at 100 -- 240 volts so I only need a plug adapter but no electricity converter. My hair dryer works at a maximum of 125volts so it would need both a converter and an adapter.

No need to guess or rely on what someone tells you. You can find out the necessary information on a case by case basis from your own products.

Incidentally, most hotels supply hair dryers in guest rooms; I can't remember the last time I packed a hair dryer to use while traveling. Any doubts, just check with your hotel.

One final thought: Most European hotel rooms have limited numbers of outlets. Add in the fact that some chargers have oversized dimensions and you may end up playing musical outlets to deal with your equipment. I'd recommend throwing a multi-plug cube or bar into your suitcase. You'll put your plug adapter into the wall outlet, your multi-plug gizmo into that and, finally, your devices into the gizmo.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Well, I am so glad that after weeks of wondering and asking around that I decided to come here and ask my fellow CC friends!

Thanks so much for all of your replies. Never even thought of picking up a cheap curling iron while in London but that would be a great back-up plan. I never even thought of looking at my own appliances and seeing how they were rated and sure enough . . . both of them are dual voltage 110/240!!

So, I am good to go and again, thanks for all of your help.:D

I never even thought of looking at my own appliances and seeing how they were rated and sure enough . . . both of them are dual voltage 110/240!!

So, I am good to go and again, thanks for all of your help.:D

Do you have to flip a switch --it will be very obvious if you do---?

I do on my hairdryer.

Do you have to flip a switch --it will be very obvious if you do---?

I do on my hairdryer.

Not taking a hairdryer. As another poster noted, they are provided on the ship and both hotels, pre and post-cruise. As for a switch, the one curling iron that I'll probably be packing (and actually have the paperwork for!) claims to adjust automatically to the voltage being used. I did purchase a plug converter and will be bringing that also.

Don't forget that you will need an adaptor to plug it into our three pin sockets. If you are going to other European countries, then you can buy a universal adaptor that will work just about anywhere.

Electrical supply in UK is 240V and 50Hz...........

Not wishing to be pedantic, but that changed a few years ago when the UK 240V was harmonised with the European 220V and became 230V (+10% -6%).

The +10% -6% basically means that it didn't actually change!

Confused? I think most people get confused with these very strange Euro quirks.

Not wishing to be pedantic, but that changed a few years ago when the UK 240V was harmonised with the European 220V and became 230V (+10% -6%).

The +10% -6% basically means that it didn't actually change!

Confused? I think most people get confused with these very strange Euro quirks.

My voltage at home is still around 240, just as it has been since it was built in the 1950s.