Tipping for tour excursions not by ship

chris153

I know this is a silly question, but I really do not know how much to tip for tour excursions. We are going on a tour in Hilo, it is $65 a person. How much is an appropriate tip? Any help is appreciated.

Also does anyone know of any tour companies with smaller buses that go to Waimea canyon?

Why do you need to tip ? I dont understand it at all.

The private excursions are not cheap to start with and are they really that amazing that you need to tip?

We did an excursion in Kona and it as so so, in hindsight I much rather wish we had our own car to tour around.

We only tip if the guide does something that we feel was more than we paid for....there is no need to tip...it's up to you! We've had some "tours" that were no more than transportation....and some that were so much fun, that we didn't want them to end!! On the latter, we tipped about $20 to the guide....what a difference that tour was from other's we've done!

Edited by cb at sea

If the "tour" is basically a driver taking us around and nothing more, we will tip around $5/pp. If we have a guide who really gives us lots of info, helpful, etc will do more. Have tipped up to $20/pp. Just can't stand it when they ask repeatedly for tips-then I don't want to. lol :D