Harbor Bridge Sanding, Re-Painting, Big Project!

TLCOhio

From the News in Australia yesterday, they have this headline: "Sydney Harbour Bridge's toxic makeover" with these highlights: "Sydney Harbour Bridge is set to undergo its biggest makeover in 81 years, to remove highly-toxic lead paint. The city side of the iconic bridge, which is used by bridge climbers and is closer to residential homes and offices in The Rocks, will be sanded back to bare steel and repainted with a non-lead-based paint - which will last 30 years. The colour will still be 'Harbour Bridge Grey'. Roads and Maritime Services NSW said work to sand back the lead paint would be carried out in a 'laboratory-style', air-tight, sealed environment by workers wearing biotech suits. An RMS spokeswoman said there was no risk of flakes of lead paint becoming airborne and harming members of the public, including climbers. The bridge overhaul will take two years. Not since the 1932 has such an enormous project on Sydney's most recognisable icon been undertaken. About 485,000 sq m of steelwork - the equivalent of 60 football fields - needs to be painted. Huge sections of the world-famous coathanger, particularly at the northern end, have suffered from heavy rust and corrosion in recent decades. It takes 30,000 litres of paint for just one coat on the Harbour Bridge and it is maintained by a team of almost 100 RTA workers, most at the site full-time."

Interesting details and background on this famed bridge, the technical aspects to this project, etc., that will be going on while we are there in Jan. 2014. Lots of areas to paint, maintain, etc.

Wonder how these "laboratory-style", air-tight, sealed structures will affect the "look" of the bridge. Might not be pretty attachments on the bridge visually.

Full story at:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/sydney-harbour-bridges-toxic-makeover/story-e6frfq80-1226653348996

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,582 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry may be interested to know that Paul Hogan of Crocodile Dundee fame was once a rigger on the famous coat hanger (Harbour Bridge). He would set up the platforms for the painters and any other repair work.:D

Terry may be interested to know that Paul Hogan of Crocodile Dundee fame was once a rigger on the famous coat hanger (Harbour Bridge). He would set up the platforms for the painters and any other repair work.:D

Wonderful, interesting new info on Paul Hogan. Keep it coming!! Knowing more is good, helpful!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,909 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Are you intending to do the bridge climb Terry?

Sue

YES!! Am very interested in doing the bridge climb, plus also like the idea of doing the helicopter fly-over, too. Have done some decent research earlier on this option. See link below. Just trying to figure out how all of the logistics and timing, plus the weather, too, would be factors in making things work and fit with our limited time in Sydney.

Earlier research on "Sydney BridgeClimb Adventure: Added Info, Tips, Secrets??" that has gotten lots of views and many great, added items of info, pictures, etc. :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1711206

Reactions, suggestions, thoughts??

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 109,603 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 5 months later...

No, I'm not on the payroll for promoting the Sydney Harbour Bridge and its walk at the top, but it does interest me. Just ran across this article from a newspaper writer from the UK. Plus, was talking with a long-time friend yesterday afternoon. He's the former Prosecutor here, a former Judge and FBI agent. Very experienced traveler, including lots in Paris and other key parts of the world. They visited Australia and NZ in 2006, super loved everything about it, especially the people!! They really enjoyed the Opera House, saw Carmen there and then they noticed people walking on top of the Harbour Bridge. They wanted to do that . . . AND DID!!! Super, totally loved that bridge walking experience!! Despite my wife hesitation, his push for doing IT, is really affirming me to put this into the MUST DO! category for this adventure. He does not like heights, but he was clear that things were safe and good for doing this climb to the top. He shared lots of loves and details for visiting in both of these countries, especially the warm and fun nature for those folks from these wonderful areas. Really helps build up the excitement!!

From the Telegraph newspaper in London earlier this month, they have this headline: "Climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge" with these highlights from their 50 and 50 columnist doing adventures around the world: "I could never tire of Sydney Harbour. I’m mesmerised by the sail-shaped Opera House; curvaceous Harbour Bridge; Luna Park’s gaping grin; the tropical lushness of the Botanical Gardens and the ferries criss-crossing their way busily to my favourite ports, Manly and Mosman. My daily commute sailing between the northern shores and Circular Quay was one of the things that made living here such a pleasure 20 years ago. So, while I have been enthralled by new destinations like Brazil and Argentina on my 50 at 50 journey, it felt just as good to be returning to the familiarity of what I regard as my second home. I didn’t need to look far from my hotel room’s panoramic Sydney Harbour view to find fresh adventures in a city I knew so well. For some reason – probably because the opportunity didn’t exist more than 15 years ago – I hadn’t ever climbed Sydney Harbour Bridge. Now was my chance to scale the 134m-high pinnacle."

She continues to share: "Opened in 1932, this is the world’s largest (but not longest) steel-arch bridge. An adored Aussie symbol, it is the centrepiece for celebrations such as those on New Year’s Eve. Before stepping out onto the bridge, I was hooked to a ‘slider’ – a wired contraption that prevents you from falling off. The device may reassure vertigo sufferers whose worst nightmares quite possibly feature peering through steel mesh steps to the tiny dots of people, cars, yachts and even cruise ships far below. Our guide explained that those who freeze with fear during their climb tend to do so when they initially step out from the shelter of the sturdy granite pylons onto the first open platform. Yet only around 10 people per week from the three million who have successfully ascended ever turn back. In groups of 12, you walk slowly in single file behind your team leader, sliding your tethered hook along like a dog on a short leash. At first you need to duck under some low-hanging beams, although there is plenty of padded protection for anyone who may have their gaze averted by the 360 degree views of Circular Quay, the Opera House, Darling Harbour and out into the open ocean at Bondi and Manly. Once I recovered from an initial queasy feeling of being so high up, I found the climb exhilarating. Yes, it was steep in parts, but I felt perfectly safe and we stopped often enough to ask questions and catch our breath."

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/solo-travel/10433445/50-at-50-climbing-the-Sydney-Harbour-Bridge.html

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 125,131 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923