Scuba certification

Emperor Norton

I believe they only offer the Discover Scuba course which would allow you to do a very beginner type dive. If you could at all possible get certified before your trip, it would save you precious time not being in "school" while on vacation. However, the Discover Scuba course may not be too involved but you won't be able to make the deeper dives.

This is on their web page... http://pgcruises.com/node/1528

Liz

Get certified before you go. It takes two days and is significantly cheaper than doing it on vacation. It also allows you to spend more time enjoying the dives.

If you have more time before you go, you can expand to the advanced open water cert, which allows for deeper dives. Bora Bora wasn't too deep. I did the shark and Manta dives, which are relatively shallow at around 45 feet max, but on Moorea my depth was around 100ft, which they won't allow you to do without AOW certification.

I will say, though, that the dive team on the PG is a great group and will take care of you.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but what are people's thoughts on scuba options for someone who is NOT planning to pursue full certification anytime soon?

I.e. doing the discover scuba course + beginner dives in moorea/bora bora (for the 7 day PG cruise) or doing the intro beginner dive offered in taha'a?

I have been curious about scuba for a long time (I usually snorkel) but it's probably safe to assume that any dive experience I have this trip would probably be it for the near future.

My main consideration for the discover scuba program is that I may miss out on other excursions. My husband will snorkel but is not interested at all in diving so we would probably already plan at least one snorkel excursion (such as one of the shark/ray ones in Bora Bora). Also I have read some mixed reviews of the beginner dive sites (not great visibility at toopua/dead coral in moorea).

Has anyone done the intro Taha'a dive and have any feedback?

Thanks in advance!

I didn't do the intro dive since I'm already certified, but I can tell you that it will not likely qualify you for any of the other dives. Diving even to a depth of 40 or 50 feet requires some degree of training that can't be learned in a discover scuba class where there is much more safety equipment around you and at a shallower depth.

As for companions, I can relay my story. My wife hates having a mask on her face and only snorkels with goggles. Diving is out of the question. To accommodate, we each pick a day or two and do our own thing. On Bora Bora, I went diving and she went to the spa for a couple of hours. On Moorea, I went diving and she went hiking. I was done far sooner than her on Moorea and got to enjoy the coconut bar by the pool.

If diving truly interests you, find a local dive shop and get at least your open water certification.

I'm going to (respectfully) disagree with RZ3 and encourage you to do the Discover Scuba on the PG. The dive staff is top notch, it will not require a large time commitment and the diving conditions will likely be better than you imagine. I cna't think of a better introduction to scuba.

We did the discover scuba on the PG over 10 years ago and it began a keen interest in the sport. We have since dove several times back thru the PG as well as elsewhere throughout the world. Nowhere did we find a better dive crew and the diving is exceptional.

The intro dive in Tahaa was not available to us at the time but would seem could take too much away from a day which many consider the best onboard, the motu BBQ.

In looking over my dive log for Toopua, the vis was usually 100+ and once was only 70… :o) The dive site includes loads of tropicals, likely octopus, moray eels and sometimes eagle rays swiming in formation at a distance. A fantastic first dive.

In Moorea, yes the coral has suffered with the crown of thorns, but in 2013, it seemed to be doing better and there were plenty of tropicals, sharks, turtles, etc.

The prep for the two dives (brief powerpoint presentation and pool time trying out equipment and comfort underwater) probably took maybe 3 hours total.

The dives themselves are in the ports where you have two days so really no an issue. It is so convenient diving on the PG, quick walk to the Marina, short zodiac ride to your dive… You can still do excursions on dive days, once you know the schedule for the beginner dives (you will find out the first day when signing up for Discover Scuba.)

Side note, do not miss the bora bora mot. Heaven on earth.

Feel free to ask any additional questions and share with us your adventures when you return!

No worries, sita! However, I was not advocating against the dive, just that it will not qualify them for additional dives. However, I just looked and it does qualify them for two beginner dives.