G&L Roll Calls - read but don't post.

samshltn

There is a risk!! Often on roll calls posters do reveal enough about themselves to be identified once aboard the ship, or often arrange to meet up for a bon voyage drink. Come that time it could be a very difficult and awkward situation if you find that the person or persons you have chatted to are not at all the type you would like to hang out with! How do you politely let the know? Once almost had a cruise ruined by those I would rather not associate with, and know others that faced the same situation. I would rather just go the LGBT get together and see if there are like minded souls in the crowd.

Thanks yyjguy, some very interesting and well made points there. I've never considered that there might be someone who would want to hang out with me, for whom that wish was not reciprocated!

I'm just always so stoked and excited to meet new people, it never occurred to me that... Wait... Oh no! Am I the guy that everyone avoids?! Haha.

There is a risk!! Often on roll calls posters do reveal enough about themselves to be identified once aboard the ship, or often arrange to meet up for a bon voyage drink. Come that time it could be a very difficult and awkward situation if you find that the person or persons you have chatted to are not at all the type you would like to hang out with! How do you politely let the know? Once almost had a cruise ruined by those I would rather not associate with, and know others that faced the same situation. I would rather just go the LGBT get together and see if there are like minded souls in the crowd.

Thanks yyjguy, some very interesting and well made points there. I've never considered that there might be someone who would want to hang out with me, for whom that wish was not reciprocated!

I'm just always so stoked and excited to meet new people, it never occurred to me that... Wait... Oh no! Am I the guy that everyone avoids?! Haha.

Interesting questions and comments all around.

What I find "awkward" about LGBT gatherings on ships is that the folks attending these are not as open and inviting as they think they are.

First, my partner doesn't drink, so that is a social challenge in itself to go out and mingle while on the ship.

Second, these "gatherings" tend to get click-ish early on and people that become fast friends with others early on don't realize that their body language creates invisible barriers from socializing with other straglers.

Third, I am not naive regarding when people start to feel "too clingy". I probably have been on both sides of that issue.

How best to handle or avoid an awkward situation? Not sure... who is making it awkward here? I find that being respectful and polite usually work. And being honest doesn't hurt, either.

If you are not interested in keeping plans (or making new plans), just say that you have other arrangements or commitments.

Again, fantastic response... Very insightful and informative. You're so right... I've been guilty of being 'cliquey' in a FOD. Once my husband and I hit it off with a small group we all stand/sit in a little circle which must look hard to join. In-jokes quickly develop, and before you know it we're a clique, as you said. I'd never really seen that situation from outside before: must try to be more inclusive!

Again, fantastic response... Very insightful and informative. You're so right... I've been guilty of being 'cliquey' in a FOD. Once my husband and I hit it off with a small group we all stand/sit in a little circle which must look hard to join. In-jokes quickly develop, and before you know it we're a clique, as you said. I'd never really seen that situation from outside before: must try to be more inclusive!

I'm sure I am guilty of it as well at times, but I think when it comes to our own personal behavior and how we think one thing, but seeing it from someone else's perspective gives a different image/message to those people.

You seem very reasonnable and if we are ever on the same ship, please say hello. ;)

I'm sure I am guilty of it as well at times, but I think when it comes to our own personal behavior and how we think one thing, but seeing it from someone else's perspective gives a different image/message to those people.

You seem very reasonnable and if we are ever on the same ship, please say hello. ;)

I try to be reasonable :) I'm on the Getaway on Saturday and the Epic on 29Nov.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app