Celebrity Reflection for a Newbie

jael001

Next August will be our first time cruising with Celebrity after doing 2 trips on RCL. We will be in a standard balcony stateroom, not Aqua Class or anything like that, and I'm a little confused by what we will or wont have access to on the ship. Most of the reviews and posts I've read on here are from people staying Aqua Class and above talking about restaurants/cafes that I assume we wont have access to. Can someone please break it down for us so that we're clear about what we will and wont have access to?

And for those restaurants/cafes that are not inclusive, what kind of prices are we looking at for a meal in them? We managed to get the $300 OBC when we booked so I might consider spending some of that on a meal in one of those places but I'm not sure clear about what's available to us.

Also does anyone have a pricelist for the spa? I like to treat myself to some spa treatments but it will depend on what's available and how much they cost. We dont have many sea days so it may depend on time.

I'm travelling with my daughter who will be 15. I haven't seen any posts from anyone who's travelled with teenagers. I know there is an area for them but I'd love to hear more about that if anyone has any info to share.

Anything else I should know about travelling on Celebrity vs. RCL?

TIA.

Additional information from my previous post:

On Royal, you make reservations for shows, on Celebrity you do not. The spa offers specials on port days- so great to take advantage before or after you leave the ship for the day. Royal has much more going on then Celebrity- the crowd on Royal typically has many more children and teens. Having said that, I am sure your daughter will enjoy the ship. You can access the Persian Garden for a fee. I would see it first, as we were never impressed with it- even when we got it "free" in Aqua class. I think you and your daughter will enjoy Qsine and the lawn Grill for special (fee charged) dinners. You can call Canyon Ranch Spa for more spa information. Celebrity will give you their number. You will not have access to Michael's Club, suite only or Lumine Restaurant. Blu is also reserved to Aqua Class. If you are a RC diamond member, you will have reciprocity and get the benefits of Elite Celebrity members. You can get discounts on many services including internet and dining. Also, daily with a couple of exceptions if you are a Diamond member, you will be invited to a cocktail hour in the sky lounge. Unfortunately your daughter will not be, unless she looks older!

We are fans of both lines, in fact in January we spend one week on the Allure of the seas with family and the following week the Celebrity Silhouette just the two of us- the best of both worlds.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Additional information from my previous post:

On Royal, you make reservations for shows, on Celebrity you do not. The spa offers specials on port days- so great to take advantage before or after you leave the ship for the day. Royal has much more going on then Celebrity- the crowd on Royal typically has many more children and teens. Having said that, I am sure your daughter will enjoy the ship. You can access the Persian Garden for a fee. I would see it first, as we were never impressed with it- even when we got it "free" in Aqua class. I think you and your daughter will enjoy Qsine and the lawn Grill for special (fee charged) dinners. You can call Canyon Ranch Spa for more spa information. Celebrity will give you their number. You will not have access to Michael's Club, suite only or Lumine Restaurant. Blu is also reserved to Aqua Class. If you are a RC diamond member, you will have reciprocity and get the benefits of Elite Celebrity members. You can get discounts on many services including internet and dining. Also, daily with a couple of exceptions if you are a Diamond member, you will be invited to a cocktail hour in the sky lounge. Unfortunately your daughter will not be, unless she looks older!

We are fans of both lines, in fact in January we spend one week on the Allure of the seas with family and the following week the Celebrity Silhouette just the two of us- the best of both worlds.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks so much. Unfortunately we're not diamond members yet, it will be a while. The only RCCL ship we've been on was Independence of the Seas doing the 2 Western Mediterranean itineraries they did a few years ago (don't know if they're still doing them). Now that my daughter is older, I dont think she'll miss all the activities that the Indy had too much, they were fine when she was 10/11 but now she is more liable to just chill. We only have 2 sea days on the trip so that will help with any boredom too and being a teenager, she's happy just to sleep all day if she can get away with it lol.

Hi,

I'm the guy on your roll call with the 15yo daughter :)

We also did the Western Med a few years back on he Indy. My daughter MUCH prefers Celebrrity to RCI. There are far fewer kids on board so the group of teens tends to be smaller and more "focused" rather than the kids flitting from one group of teens to another - if that makes sense.

As others have said, she needs to get to the Teen club on the first night - it's where. The groups form and then they are pretty much left alone at that age, they just use the Teen Club as a starting point. Be prepared to not see much of her, my daughter, Jenny, would eat with us but disappear from the table straight after dessert and we wouldn't see her again until midnight, she. Often got back to the cabin after we were in bed !

I met the group of kids she was hanging out with and they were all top-class kids, really pleasant and polite, nobody stepped out of line, all really well behaved. I had no worries about her. She is still in touch with some of them still even a few years on and despite them being in London, US, Canada etc.

She will have a great time.

Thanks so much. Unfortunately we're not diamond members yet, it will be a while. The only RCCL ship we've been on was Independence of the Seas doing the 2 Western Mediterranean itineraries they did a few years ago (don't know if they're still doing them). Now that my daughter is older, I dont think she'll miss all the activities that the Indy had too much, they were fine when she was 10/11 but now she is more liable to just chill. We only have 2 sea days on the trip so that will help with any boredom too and being a teenager, she's happy just to sleep all day if she can get away with it lol.

LOL she will enjoy chilling out and sleeping by the pool! Enjoy.

Hi,

I'm the guy on your roll call with the 15yo daughter :)

We also did the Western Med a few years back on he Indy. My daughter MUCH prefers Celebrrity to RCI. There are far fewer kids on board so the group of teens tends to be smaller and more "focused" rather than the kids flitting from one group of teens to another - if that makes sense.

As others have said, she needs to get to the Teen club on the first night - it's where. The groups form and then they are pretty much left alone at that age, they just use the Teen Club as a starting point. Be prepared to not see much of her, my daughter, Jenny, would eat with us but disappear from the table straight after dessert and we wouldn't see her again until midnight, she. Often got back to the cabin after we were in bed !

I met the group of kids she was hanging out with and they were all top-class kids, really pleasant and polite, nobody stepped out of line, all really well behaved. I had no worries about her. She is still in touch with some of them still even a few years on and despite them being in London, US, Canada etc.

She will have a great time.

*waves* I'm so glad to hear that, it sounds perfect for my daughter and hopefully she and your daughter will hang out together.

I'm sure they will. Last cruise there were only 40 kids in total on the ship so all the kids of the same age group knew one another.

On the Indie I think there were around 1000 kids in total. It's a different experience :)