Celebrity Reflection for a Newbie

jael001

Next August will be our first time cruising with Celebrity after doing 2 trips on RCL. We will be in a standard balcony stateroom, not Aqua Class or anything like that, and I'm a little confused by what we will or wont have access to on the ship. Most of the reviews and posts I've read on here are from people staying Aqua Class and above talking about restaurants/cafes that I assume we wont have access to. Can someone please break it down for us so that we're clear about what we will and wont have access to?

And for those restaurants/cafes that are not inclusive, what kind of prices are we looking at for a meal in them? We managed to get the $300 OBC when we booked so I might consider spending some of that on a meal in one of those places but I'm not sure clear about what's available to us.

Also does anyone have a pricelist for the spa? I like to treat myself to some spa treatments but it will depend on what's available and how much they cost. We dont have many sea days so it may depend on time.

I'm travelling with my daughter who will be 15. I haven't seen any posts from anyone who's travelled with teenagers. I know there is an area for them but I'd love to hear more about that if anyone has any info to share.

Anything else I should know about travelling on Celebrity vs. RCL?

TIA.

Next August will be our first time cruising with Celebrity after doing 2 trips on RCL. We will be in a standard balcony stateroom, not Aqua Class or anything like that, and I'm a little confused by what we will or wont have access to on the ship. Most of the reviews and posts I've read on here are from people staying Aqua Class and above talking about restaurants/cafes that I assume we wont have access to. Can someone please break it down for us so that we're clear about what we will and wont have access to?

And for those restaurants/cafes that are not inclusive, what kind of prices are we looking at for a meal in them? We managed to get the $300 OBC when we booked so I might consider spending some of that on a meal in one of those places but I'm not sure clear about what's available to us.

Also does anyone have a pricelist for the spa? I like to treat myself to some spa treatments but it will depend on what's available and how much they cost. We dont have many sea days so it may depend on time.

I'm travelling with my daughter who will be 15. I haven't seen any posts from anyone who's travelled with teenagers. I know there is an area for them but I'd love to hear more about that if anyone has any info to share.

TIA.

Welcome to Celebrity! Reflection is our favorite in the Celebrity fleet, having been on her 4 times and have two booked on her in the future. If you're not a Celebrity expert, understanding where and what is extra or off limits can be confusing. Here is a quick break down.

You will have access to pretty much ALL areas of the ship, with the exception of the following:

Persian Gardens: This is reserved for Aqua Class, Suite Guests, etc.

Luminae: This is the Suite only restaurant located on deck 3

Blu: This is the Aqua Class restaurant reserved for Aqua and Suites.

That is it! All the other specialty restaurants you can go to for an extra fee. The FREE restaurants are:

MDR (Main Dining Room, which is named Opus on the Reflection), The Ocean View Cafe (the buffet) and the Mast Grill. Room service, during normal hours is also free. In the late night there is a small surcharge (I think $4.95 or $6.95) per order (order total, not per item).

Specialty Restaurants: You can check pricing online if you log in to your reservation, but we always booked specialty on board. Many times they are offering discounts and you can buy packages. They range from $40 to $55 per day for dinner (I believe that is the current pricing) but many times will have 20 to 30% off specials. The Porch is $25 and Bistro on 5 (open for lunch) is $10.

They offer an unlimited specialty dining, called "Ultimate Dining" package. This is a package that allows you to eat, unlimited at any and all specialty restaurants for $29 per day, per person. We did this on our last cruise, even though we were in Aqua and we LOVED it.

Cafe Bacio you must pay for coffees and teas, but if you have the drink package yo're good. There are some that I believe fall into the premium package, not sure. The treats at Cafe Bacio are free.

I think I have the spa price list from our recent cruise at home. I'll check later tonight and can post photos for you if I have it.

Edited by chicagopaul

Welcome to Celebrity! Reflection is our favorite in the Celebrity fleet, having been on her 4 times and have two booked on her in the future. If you're not a Celebrity expert, understanding where and what is extra or off limits can be confusing. Here is a quick break down.

You will have access to pretty much ALL areas of the ship, with the exception of the following:

That is it! All the other specialty restaurants you can go to for an extra fee. The FREE restaurants are:

MDR (Main Dining Room, which is named Opus on the Reflection), The Ocean View Cafe (the buffet) and the Mast Grill. Room service, during normal hours is also free. In the late night there is a small surcharge (I think $4.95 or $6.95) per order (order total, not per item).

Specialty Restaurants: You can check pricing online if you log in to your reservation, but we always booked specialty on board. Many times they are offering discounts and you can buy packages. They range from $40 to $55 per day for dinner (I believe that is the current pricing) but many times will have 20 to 30% off specials. The Porch is $25 and Bistro on 5 (open for lunch) is $10.

They offer an unlimited specialty dining, called "Ultimate Dining" package. This is a package that allows you to eat, unlimited at any and all specialty restaurants for $29 per day, per person. We did this on our last cruise, even though we were in Aqua and we LOVED it.

Cafe Bacio you must pay for coffees and teas, but if you have the drink package yo're good. There are some that I believe fall into the premium package, not sure. The treats at Cafe Bacio are free.

I think I have the spa price list from our recent cruise at home. I'll check later tonight and can post photos for you if I have it.

Thank you, that is so helpful. I do have a beverage package, think it's the classic one, that came with the deal when I booked. I've never had a beverage package before so I'm looking foward to that.

TIA.

We will be sailing the Reflection for the second time next weekend. She is a beautiful vessel! We are booked Aqua this cruise because of the promotion being offered at the time, but speaking for myself, we have never minded dining in the MDR. We have found in the past that the dining staff has been very accommodating and helpful with food selections.

The meals in the specialty restaurants are somewhat better. Hubby and I love Murano and the Tuscan Grill. We've always loved going to Bistro on Five on embarkation day. This cruise we are going to try the Lawn Club for a dinner. Qsine for us is just too much food. We love the concept as it's smaller plates, but we just feel overdone after dining there. We've tried it twice and speaking for us, we just prefer a traditional dining experience.

The spa tends to be a little expensive for my taste and too much of a hard sell. I bought a men's package for my hubby for his birthday last year and I think it's safe to say he would rather do something here. They kind of badgered him to buy product. I found the spa to be priced about 50% more than what I would pay at my local masseuse (she is not part of a franchise like Massage Envy, so she's not necessarily inexpensive). You can probably find a spa list around online. You can buy a spa pass if you want to use the spa facilities. AQ guests can go to the spa area daily as well as dine in Blu. Luminae dining room is for suite guests.

My children are grown ups now, so can't say anything about the teen program. I am sure there are those here that have teens that will chime in. I think you will have a lovely time!

We will be sailing the Reflection for the second time next weekend. She is a beautiful vessel! We are booked Aqua this cruise because of the promotion being offered at the time, but speaking for myself, we have never minded dining in the MDR. We have found in the past that the dining staff has been very accommodating and helpful with food selections.

The meals in the specialty restaurants are somewhat better. Hubby and I love Murano and the Tuscan Grill. We've always loved going to Bistro on Five on embarkation day. This cruise we are going to try the Lawn Club for a dinner. Qsine for us is just too much food. We love the concept as it's smaller plates, but we just feel overdone after dining there. We've tried it twice and speaking for us, we just prefer a traditional dining experience.

The spa tends to be a little expensive for my taste and too much of a hard sell. I bought a men's package for my hubby for his birthday last year and I think it's safe to say he would rather do something here. They kind of badgered him to buy product. I found the spa to be priced about 50% more than what I would pay at my local masseuse (she is not part of a franchise like Massage Envy, so she's not necessarily inexpensive). You can probably find a spa list around online. You can buy a spa pass if you want to use the spa facilities. AQ guests can go to the spa area daily as well as dine in Blu. Luminae dining room is for suite guests.

My children are grown ups now, so can't say anything about the teen program. I am sure there are those here that have teens that will chime in. I think you will have a lovely time!

Thanks so much. I had a look at the Tuscan Grill sample menu and my mouth is watering already. I never minded eating in the MDR on the RCL trips we took but then we didn't really have any other options other than the buffet and Johnny Rockets.

Thanks so much. I had a look at the Tuscan Grill sample menu and my mouth is watering already. I never minded eating in the MDR on the RCL trips we took but then we didn't really have any other options other than the buffet and Johnny Rockets.

The Chops steak house on the RCCL ships has been our benchmark specialty for 10+ years, till we went to the Lawn Club Grill on the Reflection in 2013.

The filet in Tuscan is one of the best cuts of meat we have had on ship in 25+ years.

We are Diamond with Crown n Anchor, Elite with Capt Club, and have sailed 5 other lines. The Reflection is our favorite ship! Great choice.

The Chops steak house on the RCCL ships has been our benchmark specialty for 10+ years, till we went to the Lawn Club Grill on the Reflection in 2013.

The filet in Tuscan is one of the best cuts of meat we have had on ship in 25+ years.

We are Diamond with Crown n Anchor, Elite with Capt Club, and have sailed 5 other lines. The Reflection is our favorite ship! Great choice.

Ooh it sounds like at least one dinner at the Tuscan Grille is a definite :) I'm such a carnivore and it sounds amazing.

OK. I don't have the spa menu from my recent cruise last week but I do from last year. Pricing may have changed but at least this will give you a general idea of services and pricing. In general they are high.

1df359cbc669751c9e68932ee7fe5e02.jpg

5313e0b5c8955d28c72b381a5f663389.jpg

40511feac3a38ac375ae7fcbdc14639f.jpg

Lastly, regarding places that you can't access, I forgot one. Michaels Club. This is a private area only for suites. It's just a small bar off the ensemble lounge area. Not a big deal though, you're not missing much at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were just on the Reflection for the 11/28 sailing. There was a special in the spa on the Thursday, mix and match 3 out of 6 or so treatments for $129 plus 18% gratuity (it was 50 minutes, so you got three mini treatments). I enjoyed it very much!! Keep an eye out for it in the dailies.

The Canyon Ranch website has a guide to their services and prices. I didn't do a line-by-line comparison, but I believe it matches the prices we saw onboard earlier this month.

http://www.canyonranch.com/sites/default/files/i/downloads/atsea/celebrity_cruises_guide_to_services.pdf

Tuscan Grille definitely was our favorite specialty restaurant. We enjoyed the Lawn Club Grill, but on the rainy night we were there they were having issues with wet seats at the tables along the sides, reducing their seating capacity. (There are clear roll-down shades around the perimeter, though, and we didn't get wet sitting along the lawn side of the restaurant.)

OK. I don't have the spa menu from my recent cruise last week but I do from last year. Pricing may have changed but at least this will give you a general idea of services and pricing. In general they are high.

1df359cbc669751c9e68932ee7fe5e02.jpg

5313e0b5c8955d28c72b381a5f663389.jpg

40511feac3a38ac375ae7fcbdc14639f.jpg

Lastly, regarding places that you can't access, I forgot one. Michaels Club. This is a private area only for suites. It's just a small bar off the ensemble lounge area. Not a big deal though, you're not missing much at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for those, you're right, the prices are high, which I expected, so I'll have to be picky.

We were just on the Reflection for the 11/28 sailing. There was a special in the spa on the Thursday, mix and match 3 out of 6 or so treatments for $129 plus 18% gratuity (it was 50 minutes, so you got three mini treatments). I enjoyed it very much!! Keep an eye out for it in the dailies.

Oh I'll definitely keep an eye out for that, sounds like a much better deal, thanks.

The Canyon Ranch website has a guide to their services and prices. I didn't do a line-by-line comparison, but I believe it matches the prices we saw onboard earlier this month.

http://www.canyonranch.com/sites/default/files/i/downloads/atsea/celebrity_cruises_guide_to_services.pdf

Tuscan Grille definitely was our favorite specialty restaurant. We enjoyed the Lawn Club Grill, but on the rainy night we were there they were having issues with wet seats at the tables along the sides, reducing their seating capacity. (There are clear roll-down shades around the perimeter, though, and we didn't get wet sitting along the lawn side of the restaurant.)

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. I'm not expecting rain in the Mediterranean in August but you never know. Good to know there's options if it does though, thanks.

Is it confirmed that sky suites have access to the Persian Garden/relaxation room without paying an additional fee? I only saw those perks listed for Aqua Class?

Also, great and informative posts from your recent trip. They have been very helpful for my upcoming sail on reflection.

We spent 23 days aboard Reflection last April. You are going to experience and enjoy the treat of a lifetime!

Can someone please break it down for us so that we're clear about what we will and wont have access to?

Luminae restaurant is for suite guests only.

BLU restaurant is for Aqua and suite guests only

Michael's Club lounge is for suite guests only

Persian Garden is available at extra cost to balcony staterooms

The Gelateria is available at extra cost but the ice cream parlor in the buffet area is complimentary.

Every thing else is available to you, even the Relaxation room if you smile and ask nice (don't ask me how I know!). It is nice to spend some time there on a sea day.

Specialty restaurants run from $10 (Bacacio) to $55 (Murano). The MDR and buffet are excellent, but the specialty restaurants are outstanding. You can purchase a package for around $130 for the big four specialty restaurants (Murano, Tuscan Grill, Lawn Club, and Q-sine). Do it! A 15 y.o teenager will LOVE Q-sine! Ask for Eva as your server, she will make it an experience you will never forget. I can't tell you why, because I would be giving away all the secrets. Your teenager will also enjoy the Lawn Club where they will put a white apron and chef's hat on the two of you and the staff will help you prepare your own pizza appetizer - tossing the dough up in the air. Then they will help you grill your steak to perfection. Trust me a teenager will love this - bring your camera! All the pastries at Bacacio are delicious and are complimentary. Stay away from there and the ice cream parlor (they even have sprinkles and candies to put on top of your cone) or suffer dire consequences to your waist line.

Expensive! On port days you get significant discounts at the Spa.

I know they have an area and activities for exclusively for teenagers but I stay away from that area because I am allergic to them. Just kidding, I see them involved all the over the ship wearing special badges where they are participating in shipboard scavenger hunts in teams of 4 or 5 with prizes to the winners. Or they are having a belly flop contest at the pool. Eating a bowl of ice cream with your hands behind your back. That is funny. They have some sort of hangout with movies and video games. I know the staff keeps them busy and they all seem to be having a good time.

Why compare, you will enjoy Reflection.

We spent 23 days aboard Reflection last April. You are going to experience and enjoy the treat of a lifetime!

Luminae restaurant is for suite guests only.

BLU restaurant is for Aqua and suite guests only

Michael's Club lounge is for suite guests only

Persian Garden is available at extra cost to balcony staterooms

The Gelateria is available at extra cost but the ice cream parlor in the buffet area is complimentary.

Every thing else is available to you, even the Relaxation room if you smile and ask nice (don't ask me how I know!). It is nice to spend some time there on a sea day.

Specialty restaurants run from $10 (Bacacio) to $55 (Murano). The MDR and buffet are excellent, but the specialty restaurants are outstanding. You can purchase a package for around $130 for the big four specialty restaurants (Murano, Tuscan Grill, Lawn Club, and Q-sine). Do it! A 15 y.o teenager will LOVE Q-sine! Ask for Eva as your server, she will make it an experience you will never forget. I can't tell you why, because I would be giving away all the secrets. Your teenager will also enjoy the Lawn Club where they will put a white apron and chef's hat on the two of you and the staff will help you prepare your own pizza appetizer - tossing the dough up in the air. Then they will help you grill your steak to perfection. Trust me a teenager will love this - bring your camera! All the pastries at Bacacio are delicious and are complimentary. Stay away from there and the ice cream parlor (they even have sprinkles and candies to put on top of your cone) or suffer dire consequences to your waist line.

Expensive! On port days you get significant discounts at the Spa.

I know they have an area and activities for exclusively for teenagers but I stay away from that area because I am allergic to them. Just kidding, I see them involved all the over the ship wearing special badges where they are participating in shipboard scavenger hunts in teams of 4 or 5 with prizes to the winners. Or they are having a belly flop contest at the pool. Eating a bowl of ice cream with your hands behind your back. That is funny. They have some sort of hangout with movies and video games. I know the staff keeps them busy and they all seem to be having a good time.

Why compare, you will enjoy Reflection.

Thanks so much, great info x

• 3 weeks later...

Re your daughter. You will just need to nag her to go along to the welcome meeting as they split them according to the breakdown of ages that week. On Connie it was 12-14 and then 15-17 but it was very flexible. Really the teens just used the games room as a place to rendez-vous and make their own entertainment. If she is in your cabin though be prepared to go to bed late! The best activities were from 9.30 until midnight and we had to impose a curfew as we wanted to go to sleep whereas the other teens mine met were out later. This was on Constellation but am guessing it is the same principle on all ships. The main thing will be to make her go on Day 1 as they soon formed a small group that they were with all week.

Also Michael's club for Suite guests only- And if you do not rent the Alcoves, they are limited to those who have booked then. You can use the Hamocks on the lawn that are open to all guests. Most evenings, the Sky lounge from about 5-7 is reserved for Elite celebrity members a daily cocktail party takes place in that venue.

You will love the Reflection, we are sailing on her in March- sailed on the Silhouette, her sister, two weeks ago. You might also want to consider upgrading to the top drink package, as you can also enjoy premium alcohol and all of the special Martini's at the Martini bar- not just the well drinks.

Re your daughter. You will just need to nag her to go along to the welcome meeting as they split them according to the breakdown of ages that week. On Connie it was 12-14 and then 15-17 but it was very flexible. Really the teens just used the games room as a place to rendez-vous and make their own entertainment. If she is in your cabin though be prepared to go to bed late! The best activities were from 9.30 until midnight and we had to impose a curfew as we wanted to go to sleep whereas the other teens mine met were out later. This was on Constellation but am guessing it is the same principle on all ships. The main thing will be to make her go on Day 1 as they soon formed a small group that they were with all week.

Thanks Jilly, that's useful info.

Hi Jael, i believe you have joined our roll call. We just had someone join yesterday that is traveling with his family that includes a 15 year old daughter as well.

Thanks for that, I've found them and posted on the roll call.

Also Michael's club for Suite guests only- And if you do not rent the Alcoves, they are limited to those who have booked then. You can use the Hamocks on the lawn that are open to all guests. Most evenings, the Sky lounge from about 5-7 is reserved for Elite celebrity members a daily cocktail party takes place in that venue.

You will love the Reflection, we are sailing on her in March- sailed on the Silhouette, her sister, two weeks ago. You might also want to consider upgrading to the top drink package, as you can also enjoy premium alcohol and all of the special Martini's at the Martini bar- not just the well drinks.

Thanks. I think I'll stick with the drinks package I've got as I'm not a huge drinker and since it's just me and my daughter I prefer not to drink too much anyway. I've never had a drinks package before, the 2 cruises we did previously I just had a single glass of wine with dinner and a cocktail after and left it at that, so having any choice at all of inclusive drinks is a bonus.

Thanks for the great info!! I just booked an AquaClass on the Reflection for Winter Break 2017 and am super excited - both to just get away from NYC AND to try what looks to be an amazing new ship experience for me!!

Thank you for posting the spa menus - I'm pretty sure I'll by buying some OBC and using that for some treatments both on sea days and when we're in San Juan (did that one last year on Disney...not impressed with the city). Which brings me to a question... The menus (both the one posted here and the one linked to) have * for an "in port" price - but one says something like "when the ship is in port" and the other adds from 8a-1p...but San Juan for example we don't dock until 3 or so, so would it be regular rates then? Not a huge deal if it is...just helps me for budgeting.